U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 06:46 PM

14,613 posts, read 31,135,787 times

Advertisements

San Antonio is wonderfully accepting, it seems to me. I'm sure there are some ignorant ones still around, but I'm sure you've run across that before, and praying for them is the best thing you can do! Every tribe and every nation will be represented in heaven, so we all better get used to it here!

Unfortunately, I think there is a town way east of Houston--Vidor, I believe, that any people of color do not feel safe in once the sun goes down. It's been years since I heard that, so maybe times have changed. That area was ravaged by Katrina, so maybe the bad guys up and left with the storm.

I hope that our wonderful city will make you feel accepted, and I pray that you experience NO racism here (or anywhere!).

Old 01-29-2007, 09:07 PM

196 posts, read 696,955 times
What about Asians? Do you see asians around in SA? We are moving to SA soon. We are ethnically Chinese and we speak English fluently. I wonder if my kids will feel "different" or be treated "differently" in school?

Old 01-29-2007, 09:50 PM

3,823 posts, read 13,345,929 times
Default Asians in San Antonio

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionT View Post
What about Asians? Do you see asians around in SA? We are moving to SA soon. We are ethnically Chinese and we speak English fluently. I wonder if my kids will feel "different" or be treated "differently" in school?
Although there is a larger Asian population in Houston, there are also Asians in San Antonio and will increase as more people move here from other states. You will see mostly Chinese, Japanese, Filipino, and Korean with supporting food stores/restaurants. There are also Thai's and Vietnamese. Some have their own social organizations and there are some Korean churches as well.
Your children should blend well here in schools.

Good Luck in your move! There is lots of information on San Antonio (just use the search feature in the menu above.

Old 01-29-2007, 10:29 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,643,097 times
Sterling, if you're actually looking for a nice middle class subdivison with a majority black population, you should look into Lakeside on the southeast side of the city.

My aunt, she's white and has lived alone there since she moved, has lived there for some 13 years. She's 56 I believe and has never had a problem there. She likes it, the is an opinion to pay the HOA and the cost of that is low. Homes are well kept and the neighbors talk to each other.

Old 01-30-2007, 07:06 AM

1,222 posts, read 4,185,665 times
My Husband is AA I am white and we have found nothing but friendly people here in SA. We live in NC 78232 a really nice area with good schools.
Good luck

Old 01-30-2007, 02:22 PM

36 posts, read 128,414 times
LionT,

San Antonio does not have a large Asian population, but are very welcoming of anybody who wants to live here. In fact, on February 10, the city will be celebrating the cultures of Asia at the Annual Asian Festival. It will be in downtown San Antonio at the Institute of Texan Cultures. We went last year and had a blast. The festival ended last year with an awesome presentation by the Chinese Lion Dancers. Everyone should try to go this year. It is awesome.

Old 01-30-2007, 04:48 PM

3,542 posts, read 7,523,735 times
San Antonio is a very color blind city. It does not matter what your ethnic background is, you will be treated and look uponed the same as everyone else. I moved here from Michigan a few years ago where racial tensions are still fairly strong. I can too also say that I have never experienced anything that can even be classified as racist.

Old 01-30-2007, 04:53 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,550,592 times
Texas in general is color blind in the big towns,and at least tolerant and polite in the smaller towns.Small deep east Texas towns can be a problem.

In the Miss America pageant this year,Miss Texas was AA.

Old 01-30-2007, 06:32 PM

304 posts, read 1,420,020 times
Oh man, I didn't know what racism was until I moved to Indiana. The first thing I saw was a Klansman in full regalia marching up and down the street in Terre Haute Indiana in front of the local Hardees. There was actually a restaurant there that refused to seat African Americans. Hey, I felt like I was in the twilight zone. I think what lifertexan pointed out about the smaller towns generally being more of a problem is the same all over.

Old 01-31-2007, 03:26 AM

19 posts, read 130,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling View Post
You just hear so many stories about Texas you know??
Don't believe everything you hear or read! Unless it's good of course!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or