Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 01:41 AM

4 posts, read 31,138 times

Advertisements

I was born and raised in Los Angeles, Ca, and my job (aerospace/defense...not military) has relocated my husband and I San Antonio, TX. We will be there in three weeks to live. I am African American, and as a "California girl", and am very afraid about the obvious racism in San Antonio. Is this the case? Should I be worried, or are the people in San Antonio friendly and receptive to African American's? I've seen several pictures of restaurants and establishments of San Antonio on the internet, but I only see Caucasians in the pictures...no AA's? Do we exist there or only in the lower income neighborhoods.

Please do not be offended anyone who is reading this. I truly have a good heart, and just want to be prepared for what my husband and I might/will be experiencing in Texas. Please be honest and open. I appreciate your responses.

Thank you!

Last edited by Sterling; 01-29-2007 at 02:00 AM.. Reason: want to bold

Old 01-29-2007, 03:59 AM

34 posts, read 197,364 times
Being an ex Californian from LBC, I moved to SA 5 years ago. I HAVE SEEN NO RACISM! Truth be told, I work as a medic here and have found nothing but open arms and friendliness. Unlike other big cities, there is a mesh of cultures and ethnicities here. I am PROUD to call SA home. I am part of a mixed marriage and we've felt nothing but love here. Welcome to San Antonio. Give us a mail when you get here, we could have a BBQ. Also, look to the West Bexar County area for affordable housing. (Westcreek is great).

Old 01-29-2007, 05:06 AM

154 posts, read 629,238 times
Sterling, I'm not in SA yet, so am no expert, but perhaps you see fewer African Americans on TV in SA because they are very much a minority (I think only around 6% of the population?)

That's going to be a big change for us, as here in SC African Americans make up over 30% of our population. My husband has lived in various parts of the south as well as Texas, and has found racism to be MUCH less prevalent there than in the old antebellum states.

I don't think TX and San Antonio in particular can be lumped in with "the south" in terms of racial attitudes. It's very different from what I hear. Of course, individual jerks exist anywhere, but it doesn't seem to be the cultural norm there.

Old 01-29-2007, 06:07 AM

3,823 posts, read 14,621,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemedic242 View Post
Being an ex Californian from LBC, I moved to SA 5 years ago. I HAVE SEEN NO RACISM! Truth be told, I work as a medic here and have found nothing but open arms and friendliness. Unlike other big cities, there is a mesh of cultures and ethnicities here. I am PROUD to call SA home. I am part of a mixed marriage and we've felt nothing but love here. Welcome to San Antonio. Give us a mail when you get here, we could have a BBQ. Also, look to the West Bexar County area for affordable housing. (Westcreek is great).
Same here. My wife is Filipina (we met here in SA 27 years ago) and have no problems at all. San Antonio even celebrates its cultures during the Texas Folklife Festival each year in June.

Old 01-29-2007, 06:16 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,616,479 times
Also part of a mixed marriage (white /mexican) but have seen or had no problems. SA is very much a mixof cultures and even though the AA culture is not as strong here all my AA friends here say its great. I don't think you are going to have a problem at all. Welcome to SA.

Old 01-29-2007, 08:20 AM

1,722 posts, read 2,218,381 times
SA's black population metro wide is 8.23 percent which comes out to under 165,000.

SA also has the largest MLK day march in the entire US.

Old 01-29-2007, 11:31 AM

"210", "neddy", "stell man", "MPinSC", "firemedic242"....THANK YOU ALL SO VERY MUCH!!!! You guys are the absolute best! I'm so grateful that no one was offended, and understood my concerns. You just hear so many stories about Texas you know?? Everyone has done a good job at dispelling those rumors for me, and I look forward to moving to SA now! My husband and I are 39, no children (starting a family this year), and are really looking forward to our new Texas lifestyle.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for the honesty and insight everyone! I feel SO MUCH better now. Whew! :-) God Bless!

Old 01-29-2007, 02:17 PM
RES

34 posts, read 153,512 times
Hi Sterling,

I've lived here for 8 years and while there are not many African Americans here as opposed to other places we've lived, it is NOT a racist town! We were both in the Army. San Antonio is a great place to live...we are on the NW side near UTSA, which is very nice. The schools are good and there is a lot to do...you will love it when you have children! The weather is great, and if you miss the beach, it is only 2 1 /2 hours away to the beautiful and not crowded beaches. I guess there are lots of stereotypes about gun toting rednecks and stuff, but that is not what SA is like. In fact, we might have to relocate to Cleveland OH and I will really miss the nice weather here. I grew up in Pittsburgh but I'd stay here if I could! Good luck to you!

Old 01-29-2007, 04:56 PM

34 posts, read 197,364 times
Well some of the stuff you heard about Texas is true, you guys already look at a couple of good horses. If you have a family may I suggest a buggy they work great. Also, make sure you buy some durable reins, don't want the horse pulling up the hitching post.... HEE! HEE! You'll love SA we promise. Also, the majority of the AA population is found on the east side of San Antonio. The areas broken down as such:
78239 "pretty slummish, some of the worst neighborhoods (The Glen, Camelot)
78244 middle and upper middle.
There are others.... But look around...

Old 01-29-2007, 07:13 PM

Default Even better news. I'm really starting to feel excited about the move!

Thank you RS...You helped me a lot also. I already feel welcomed in SA, because everyone has said such gracious things, and welcomed me to the city. I'm not really concerned with the low AA population. That's perfectly alright. I love everybody and all races. That's the way I was brought up. I was just concerned with the level of racism, especially me not being from the South, and not being used to it. But you all have made me secure, in that, there is going to be racism everywhere no matter where you go. But it's not as prevalent in SA as it is a nice city with friendly people. I am happy for that. I'm sure I will run into one or two, but that's okay. I will pray for them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RES View Post
Hi Sterling,

I've lived here for 8 years and while there are not many African Americans here as opposed to other places we've lived, it is NOT a racist town! We were both in the Army. San Antonio is a great place to live...we are on the NW side near UTSA, which is very nice. The schools are good and there is a lot to do...you will love it when you have children! The weather is great, and if you miss the beach, it is only 2 1 /2 hours away to the beautiful and not crowded beaches. I guess there are lots of stereotypes about gun toting rednecks and stuff, but that is not what SA is like. In fact, we might have to relocate to Cleveland OH and I will really miss the nice weather here. I grew up in Pittsburgh but I'd stay here if I could! Good luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio