Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 09:00 PM

168 posts, read 529,975 times

Advertisements

Anything that has to do with jazz, hip hop, R & B, spoken word, poetry would be great. Thanks. I'm asking for different things for different family members, as we have a bunch of us that just moved here from Los Angeles area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 09:28 PM

56 posts, read 227,652 times
Check out PuroSlam .com

They used to have spoken word nights on Broadway at some hamburger joint (forgot the name...Joes maybe)

Old 08-17-2008, 10:12 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,365,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodsQ View Post
Anything that has to do with jazz, hip hop, R & B, spoken word, poetry would be great. Thanks. I'm asking for different things for different family members, as we have a bunch of us that just moved here from Los Angeles area.
I would love to find a place like the coffee house/jazz/spoken word joint on "So You Married an Axe Murderer" with Mike Meyers! Keep us posted on what you find out!

Old 08-17-2008, 10:24 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,554,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tres View Post
Check out PuroSlam .com

They used to have spoken word nights on Broadway at some hamburger joint (forgot the name...Joes maybe)

I think it's Sam's Burger Joint on Grayson.

I want to say Ruta Maya has that, but can't recall. I haven't been to any poetry nights locally, but I know they exist since i hear about them all the time... check out the Current, a weekly free newspaper which will list all the events. It comes out on Wednesday.

Old 08-17-2008, 03:56 PM

791 posts, read 3,959,729 times
Monday nights you'll find Heartbeat of the Soul at various locations around SA. From the Express-News arts listings: (210) 494-8292. Weekly open-mike poetry. 8 p.m. Free.

Tuesday nights are the big "spoken word" night in SA...
  • Puro Slam is no longer at Sam's Burger joint - location varies. From the events listings: Weekly open mike certified by the National Poetry Slam has moved from Sam's Burger Joint. The event allows poets to deliver their work and get heckled. DJ Donnie Dee spins before and after the show. 9 p.m. doors, 10 p.m. slam. $3. Visit PuroSlam San Antonio Poetry Slam.
  • My favorite is Jazz Poets Society at Guadalupe Street Cofee on Tuesdays. (210) 573-5115. Bring poetry and songs and work with other poets and songwriters to present works on stage. A drum circle accompanies poets. Every Tuesday, 6:30-8 p.m.
  • Sun Poet's Society. (210) 325-8122. Amateur and professional poets read at weekly open mike of the Sun Poet's Society. 7 p.m. Free.
To search for arts events and activities around San Antonio, visit SA Current - Events Calendar and www.mysanantonio.com >> Entertainment - San Antonio, Entertainment | mySA.com (in the Express-News, there are several links in different areas of the page to search for various types of arts/events).

If you can't find something you're interested in, well, ya just ain't lookin' hard enough.

Old 08-17-2008, 04:07 PM

56 posts, read 227,652 times
Yeah Chaka that was it.

For some reason I was thinking Joe's Greasy flows.

The PuroSlam scene has got some great poets. I was very impressed with some of the readings. You'll hear all kinds of stuff there, some powerfully painful some humorously painful but mostly all good.

Old 08-17-2008, 07:05 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,365,125 times
If you don't get the Sunday paper, pick one up today or at a convenience store in the morning. There is a nice thick pullout section for everything from dining, music, education, theater....etc.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:17 PM

107 posts, read 412,719 times
www.gig (broken link)onthestrip.com/

they have open mic nights with spoken word specifically mentioned before.

Old 08-19-2008, 08:03 AM

141 posts, read 508,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodsQ View Post
if memory serves, La Taza Coffeehouse off of 281 and Brookhollow (Brookhollow/HEB shopping center), has poetry readings on Monday nights. i might be wrong, as it has been a while since i have been there. in my opinin it's a win/win because even if they don't do it, La Taza is still a great place to chill and drink some coffee or tea.

Old 08-31-2008, 11:18 PM

168 posts, read 529,975 times
Does anyone know if any of these are full of cursing or if there is any cool ones without alot of foul stuff if you know what I'm sayin? You know how some people rely on cursing alot instead of substance to try to wow, like some comics do. But we're looking for depth without all the mess. Would like a Christian place but I know that's probably hard to find so would be happy just without alot of cursin', sexin type. Thanks. Peace and Blessings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio