U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2008, 10:10 PM

165 posts, read 471,906 times

Advertisements

We're looking for a Guyanese grocery or restaurant or store. Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 10:36 PM

15,926 posts, read 7,183,175 times
You are in luck! There is a wonderful Guyanese cafe and store on Pat Booker Rd. It's name is Bool Sheesh. It is next to the Walgreens. Enjoy!

Old 08-17-2008, 12:45 PM

3,219 posts, read 8,009,240 times
What are some of these things on the menu?

Old 08-19-2008, 12:35 PM

Is this a joke? I thought that name sounds a lil like something else, and thought wow someone's trying to be funny. But looked it up anyway, but there is nothing, so I am guessing this is supposed to be a joke. Can't imagine why someone would do that though out of the blue.

Old 08-19-2008, 01:04 PM

4,796 posts, read 13,745,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodsQ View Post
Is this a joke? I thought that name sounds a lil like something else, and thought wow someone's trying to be funny. But looked it up anyway, but there is nothing, so I am guessing this is supposed to be a joke. Can't imagine why someone would do that though out of the blue.
It's possible it's a joke. GQ....I read where you're moving from Los Angeles...which has a much broader spectrum of cultures than South Texas. We have a lot of local culture mostly associated with our neighbors in Mexico....of all socio economic levels.

We also have a lot of active and retired military that have lived all over the world, so it's not like our city consists of limited exposure to other cultures....but we just don't have large percentages of various ethnic groups. I'm guessing that possibly your question of having a Guyanese Restaurant may have been looked at with a bit of skepticism. A Guyanese Store or Restaurant would be ultra specialized and highly unusual in South Texas.

Just so you understand, sometimes extremely unusual topics become suspect because of internet forums and problems with trolls. The answer is often to just joke back.....which may have been what happened here.

I suppose I've answered your question....that I don't think there is any establishment that offers much in Guyanese foods or products. You may want to stock up and bring some with you when you move here. Good luck in your move.

Old 08-19-2008, 02:33 PM

How sweet of you wCat.
It's cool. I'm not trippin'. Guess it just caught me at an off moment. Kids. Yea, we're already here. I totalllllyy understand that there may not be annny Guyanese anything here but I just thought I'd throw out a bunch of things to see what comes up if anything. Cause I been mentioning to people how I found these coool boards where people can ask anything and I loveeee that. That would have just been reallllly moted if we packed up the kids and our two families here, driving out and wasting gas to try to find that place...whew glad I looked up and didn't see anything at all. The name was just off just enough to make me wonder if it could possibly be but didn't sound Guyanese anyway, but thought maybe out here who knows. Maybe I will tell my Auntie from Guyana to get a laugh on the way to church Sunday. ahahahahaha.
Well, do you know of any good Carribean or West Indian places? Or what's YOUR favorite places to eat?? My Auntie and Husband cook better than any restaurant anyway (I can honestly say Not Me :->) but you know how it's fun to go out after church to eat and when you don't feel like cooking and cleaning up all that. Thanks so much.

Old 08-19-2008, 04:15 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,826 posts, read 33,233,153 times
I've sent a DM to Sweetie Pie requesting s/he return to the thread and provide clarification on post #2. If there is humor to be found in it, I hope we will be let in on the joke.

Old 08-19-2008, 05:22 PM

Gad, folks, please forgive me for joking around. I guess it's not funny if I was the only one laughing. Hope no one actually went to try to find the place. GodsQ, please accept my humble apology, and welcome to San Antonio. And wCat, thanks for hitting the nail on the head, in your third paragraph, albeit me being a troll. I now realize we must keep our sense of humor in check in the C-Df-San Antonio.

Old 08-19-2008, 06:20 PM

778 posts, read 2,224,420 times
I'd like to point out that on the word of one of these C-DF posters, I drove all the way over to Pat Booker Rd to get myself a huge steaming bowl of Bool Sheesh, and upon finding not a single Guyanese in the area went into Walgreens (no advertisement intended) and asked for better directions. Come to find out the only Bool Sheesh in the area was in Alamo Ranch in the Chik-fi-let (tagged by kids from the greater Marbach and Military Drive area), and they only serve it on Sunday.

Old 08-19-2008, 06:26 PM

Thanks SilverCreek! Just ban me now!!! Nice knowing you guys, even if it was short and sweet. Guess I'll go hang out in Detroit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio