U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 12:59 PM

27 posts, read 115,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTSASTUD View Post
Go to Alamo Heights.
I think not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2007, 09:40 PM

486 posts, read 1,018,044 times
Default more photos can someone tell me what this one used to be

This is at Wurzbach Pkwy and Perrin Beitel/Thousand Oaks.

Old 03-19-2007, 10:22 PM

2,651 posts, read 6,506,798 times
That is the longhorn cement quarry. Once a functioning cement quarry, and the proposed site of the SBC center. The Alamo Quarry or "the Quarry" once looked exactly like this. I've always hoped that the longhorn quarry would be developed in a similar manner to the alamo quarry and that it would spur redevelopment for the I-35 corridor from thousand oaks south.

Old 03-20-2007, 09:18 AM

4,796 posts, read 13,713,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
That is the longhorn cement quarry. Once a functioning cement quarry, and the proposed site of the SBC center. The Alamo Quarry or "the Quarry" once looked exactly like this. I've always hoped that the longhorn quarry would be developed in a similar manner to the alamo quarry and that it would spur redevelopment for the I-35 corridor from thousand oaks south.
I thought that would be a great location for a much needed new branch of the ACCC for North East Bexar County. The NE side is lacking in any kind of academics beyond high school. I know there is something on Pat Booker.....but it's like a storefront school. This has made me crazy for years.
I can picture a Northwest Vista Campus right there!....and save what's left of the quarry structure in the process!....even better make it a student project!

Old 03-20-2007, 09:44 AM

3,020 posts, read 23,575,422 times
Default Ah..... You got to go East

You got to get a lot further to the east. Like into Ohio, WV and PA.

Those pix's you got the places are mansions in move in condition by comparison. The places I mentioned have it all. Abandoned Rust Belt factories, steel mills, plants, houses, shed, dog boxes.

Oil City, PA is prime, Eire, PA and Buffalo are super hunting ground. Lots in small town Ohio. One near my house is so famous it is used as a reference point when telling somebody how to get somewhere local.

Those pix's you are getting in your area are modern art by our standards.

Look at realtor(dot)com and dial in places like Oil City, Eire, Buffalo and just pick some other small towns off the map, low at the low priced entries that pop up. Oil City has one section of town that is either abandoned, vacant or must be a real Hell to live in. Not a bad town, Ok to live there, just has that one spot. As do other places. Zanesville, OH is another to try.

Old 03-21-2007, 09:48 AM

*looks a little confused* I understand some of your post and it may just be that my brain isnt awake for all of it yet. Though to reiterate what I said at the beginning of this topic, Im looking for places here in Texas that I can drive to and home in a day.

On a side note to those who have been following this topic I have some pictures from Castroville if you want me to post them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
You got to get a lot further to the east. Like into Ohio, WV and PA.

Those pix's you got the places are mansions in move in condition by comparison. The places I mentioned have it all. Abandoned Rust Belt factories, steel mills, plants, houses, shed, dog boxes.

Oil City, PA is prime, Eire, PA and Buffalo are super hunting ground. Lots in small town Ohio. One near my house is so famous it is used as a reference point when telling somebody how to get somewhere local.

Those pix's you are getting in your area are modern art by our standards.

Look at realtor(dot)com and dial in places like Oil City, Eire, Buffalo and just pick some other small towns off the map, low at the low priced entries that pop up. Oil City has one section of town that is either abandoned, vacant or must be a real Hell to live in. Not a bad town, Ok to live there, just has that one spot. As do other places. Zanesville, OH is another to try.

Old 03-21-2007, 10:58 AM

Thanks Smu for the name of what it was I have learned all kinds of cool things about it from that, there is apparently a website of people who actually explore these types of places more um in depth than I dare to, and apparently they explored there before the fence and no trespassing stuff was up. Anywho, I learned what alot of the pictures I have are of now. Ill post more about it in a bit.

Old 03-26-2007, 08:31 PM

More Pictures are on my website if anyone wants to look, I have too many from over the years and currently to upload on here.

Address is [url="http://s153.photobucket.com/albums/s237/onewingedangel73107/[/URL]

Hollar if you find any more old places around town, abandoned buildings that look good for photographing etc.

Thanks
AFWife1029

Old 03-26-2007, 09:33 PM
lcw

118 posts, read 610,962 times
A great place to photo would be the roaring 20's, see my other post for location. It is about as run down as they get.

Old 03-26-2007, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcw View Post
A great place to photo would be the roaring 20's, see my other post for location. It is about as run down as they get.
um... which other post?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio