Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 09:09 PM

244 posts, read 1,092,566 times

Advertisements

While I respect San Antonio very much for what it is, I can't help notice what it's not--it's not a very sophisticated, cultured, or metropolitan area. Additionally, I notice that areas deemed impressive by locals (AH) are merely a joke.

When I drove through Alamo Heights, my first thought was "what a dump". I mean, seriously. The streets are full of potholes, the golfcourse is unkept, and the houses, old and falling apart are just a joke! This is hardly what I'd call a wealthy or well to do area, especially compared to what is in Dallas.

What really gets me about AH is the people--they are so arrogant! I was visiting a friend in the area, and stopped by the Chase bank there, being that it is the bank I deal with--immediately as I walked through the door, this woman nearly ran into me, and when I said "excuse me" she let out a "hmmph". I was in total disbelief!

Also, I noticed in this AH bank that all eyes seemed to be on me. I caught several employees staring, and as soon as I'd catch them they'd look away (I'm black). I laughed to myself, and said "these people really must think they are something".

Let's face it--compared to Highland/University Park, West Plano, Colleyville, Southlake, Uptown, Preston Hollow, and parts of North Dallas, AH IS NOTHING. I mean, seriously.

And, it's not even that rich--if you look at the median income there ($55k), it's not much more than surrounding areas, and is roughly half of Dallas wealthy area median incomes.

No, I'm not a snob, but I just can't help notice how people there (especially college aged students) parade around as if they really think they're a big deal. I mean, maybe they are in SA, but leave this city, and they become nothing but a joke!

Thoughts? Opinions?

Old 01-29-2007, 09:17 PM

852 posts, read 3,813,857 times
I'm certainly not a San Antonio apologist, but Alamo Heights is a charming area with many levels of homes and a top-notch school system. Its compact downtown is pleasant, and there are many non-chain stores of note. It's not trying to be a flashy wealthy area like Highland Park (or Beverly Hills, for that matter).

Old 01-29-2007, 10:04 PM

283 posts, read 1,835,938 times
AH is alright.......compared to the other areas of SA.

I still think the best that SA has to offer is STONE OAK.

Old 01-29-2007, 10:19 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,438,921 times
Stone Oak is New Money...the oldest parts already are looking haggard. I don't know what golf course you are referring too, but if it's the San Antonio country club I would put it on par with the Dallas Country club in level of sophistication. I would put Alamo Heights on the same level as University Park. Terrell Hills and Olmos Park are much more comparable to Highland Park. I have never seen one Alamo Heights home that I would call a dump.

Old 01-29-2007, 10:56 PM

1,722 posts, read 2,241,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTSASTUD View Post
When I drove through Alamo Heights, my first thought was "what a dump". I mean, seriously. The streets are full of potholes, the golfcourse is unkept, and the houses, old and falling apart are just a joke!
Dear sir, you were not in Alamo Heights is that is what you saw.

First off, AH doesn't have a Golf Course, the one you saw was the San Antonio Country Club.

Second, you def. were not in Alamo Heights if you saw old homes falling apart.

Quote:
Let's face it--compared to Highland/University Park, West Plano, Colleyville, Southlake, Uptown, Preston Hollow, and parts of North Dallas, AH IS NOTHING. I mean, seriously.
Let's face it, those places can't compare to Jupiter, Florida, Rancho Santa Fe, California, Bloomfield Hills, Michigan, Hillsborough, California.

But I'm sure they find the will to survive.

Quote:
And, it's not even that rich--if you look at the median income there ($55k), it's not much more than surrounding areas, and is roughly half of Dallas wealthy area median incomes.
Actually, the median income in 2000 was $65,000 dollars, not $55,000.

Would you like to know whatl let's say Beverly Hills' median income is? $70,000.

Quote:
No, I'm not a snob, but I just can't help notice how people there (especially college aged students) parade around as if they really think they're a big deal. I mean, maybe they are in SA, but leave this city, and they become nothing but a joke!

Thoughts? Opinions?
Your post was the joke?

Seriously, where were you driving? It was Alamo Heights.

Old 01-29-2007, 11:04 PM

944 posts, read 3,062,799 times
I think Alamo Heights is ok, and certainly by SA standards. If not Alamo Heights and Olmos Park, where would the rich SA people live? The rest of the city is dumpier, so they have taken the best the city has to offer and made it their own. Yes, those folks are big fish in a small pond. UTSASTUD, be prepared to get nasty private messages in your inbox as I do. Locals do not take kindly to negative opinions of their city, even though it is not against the forum rules to express them.

Old 01-29-2007, 11:06 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,438,921 times
actually what he probably saw was the olmos basin golf course a public city course run by San Antonio. I don't know anyone who could call the country club unkempt.

Old 01-29-2007, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello13685 View Post
The rest of the city is dumpier
wait, no, actually...

Quote:
even though it is not against the forum rules to bash a city.
If it's not against forum rules it should definitally be against ones own morals or the very least basic adult civilized behavior. But heck, if that's how you want to protray yourself, who am I to try and change that.

Old 01-29-2007, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
actually what he probably saw was the olmos basin golf course a public city course run by San Antonio. I don't know anyone who could call the country club unkempt.
Actually, that is true. It more than likely was the Olmos Basin golf course.

Old 01-29-2007, 11:23 PM

244 posts, read 1,092,566 times
No, I was definitely in Alamo Heights. First off, no offense, but who designed this city? The roads, highway system, and general layout is horrendous. They've been working on I-10 for how long now? Truly an embarrassment for a city alleged to be the 7th largest.

I got off at Broadway, and turned right. The golf course I'm referring to is on the right by the Quarry. Compared to Gleneagles, Dallas, and Prestonwood golf clubs in Dallas, I just didn't think it was that well kept or impressive.

When you get further into AH, the roads get worse, and some of the houses are pretty nice....I'll give you that. But compared to the other cities I mentioned, I don't think it's that great.

My problem probably is more with the people there than the city itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio