Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 08:36 PM

4 posts, read 8,867 times

Advertisements

Thanks Everyone for your honest responses. I'm not too happy about the wanna be thugs either so I'll keep a very close eye on who my child starts to hang around with. I'll be attending orientation as well on Thursday and we've met some of the school staff during registration and they seemed really nice but we'll see when school starts. Vale is new this year and I'm sure they'll have their own reputation be it good or bad. Just wish some of the AR kids had the opportunity to go there. Jules07 do you live in AR if so how did you manage to get your kids into that school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 08:47 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,801,733 times
My son went to Zachry in 1999 - 2000, the 2 worst years of his school life. I had to leave work over a dozen times to get him out of the office, due to the wannabe
thugs, that kept wanting a name due to him being white and being bussed in from another neighborhood. He didnt know anyone there, and had to ride the bus for over an hour each way to get to school. Due to previous problems with my ex- he was very cautious about ever raising a hand against anyone else, even tho he was a record holder for his age group in karate and tae kwan do, (saying he could defend himself) its just there was always a group of hispanic or blacks that wanted to show off they was bad over one white kid. Seeing the recent reports, doesnt look like it has changed too much in 7 years.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:23 PM

64 posts, read 279,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules07 View Post
I'm confused. How could Vale be a better school when this year is the first year it'll be open?

(Not that I don't have high hopes for it, since two of my kids will be going there. It's just not a "proven" school yet.)
HAHA - they are always better schools at first, lol. No all schools have their faults. I guess I did not word that right. Zachry is not a bad middle school, they do have thugs though. When it comes to teachers and academics they are fine and just like all the rest. Your kids just have to hang out with the right people. Your kids will be fine, as long as you are an involved parent - which I am sure you are!

Old 08-20-2008, 01:26 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,520,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjt1970 View Post
Thanks Everyone for your honest responses. I'm not too happy about the wanna be thugs either so I'll keep a very close eye on who my child starts to hang around with. I'll be attending orientation as well on Thursday and we've met some of the school staff during registration and they seemed really nice but we'll see when school starts. Vale is new this year and I'm sure they'll have their own reputation be it good or bad. Just wish some of the AR kids had the opportunity to go there. Jules07 do you live in AR if so how did you manage to get your kids into that school?
No, we don't live in AR, but I WISH we did ~ because I'd prefer that my kids go to Brennan High School went it opens in 2010, rather than Stevens!!! (I'm guessing that AR will be in the Brennan attendance zone, but my neighborhood won't.) We may end up moving over there by then, because of the high school.

Old 08-20-2008, 05:24 PM

64 posts, read 279,865 times
Yea I am excited about that too! AR will have the following for schools:

Hoffman Elementary
"AR Middle School"
Brennan HS

Old 08-20-2008, 05:37 PM

140 posts, read 492,026 times
I went to school in the Inner-city with wannbe thugs and real thugs, and I turned out fine.

People tend to worry too much as far as im concerned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: