Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 07:27 PM

3 posts, read 7,248 times

Advertisements

I live there and dealing with the ACC and the HOA is a pain you do not want. If what I heard is true there has been two law suits that Riverchase has lose and there is a third suit that may be files in the next couple of weeks. The people that live there is very friendly but dealing with the ACC and the HOA is not worth it. See what other home owners wrote about the HOA and the ACC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnqueen View Post
Has anyone purchased and/or built in Riverchase development in New Braunfels? We are considering moving from Temecula, CA to NB, and are wide open as to where to built. We need one home and a small guest house. I've heard that new construction takes from 6 mos to a year for a home to be built. Does that sound right? We're planning on building approx 2000 sq ft home. Any feedback would be great. We can't wait to start our new life in TX - have tons of family there and love it. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 08:30 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,738,248 times
Dealing with the Atlantic Coast Conference?

Old 01-29-2011, 10:58 AM

8 posts, read 13,770 times
Texas is held up as the state with less government and more freedoms. But then you find the dirty little secret that the citizens themselves are imposing these little oppressive governments known as Home owners associations, where they PAY to give up their freedoms under the guise of maintaining their property values. Market value is all about desirability and supply and demand. Have these HOAs ever considered the fact that their little oppressive rules and restrictions drive away potential buyers and therefore creates the exact opposite result.
How is living in an HOA community any different than living in an apartment? Oh sure, you have acres separating each living space, but you don't have the right and freedom to do what you want on your own land. Instead you must plead to an indifferent association council. Who needs this sort of stress. Sounds like California, not Texas. Here is the shocker, HOA's in CA are rare.
The Owners of River Chase need to amend their rules to balance personal freedoms and property values. Currently it is horribly bent towards suppressing freedoms. Then again perhaps such communities naturally fill with the weak minded that want to be told how to live their lives.

Old 01-29-2011, 08:59 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,390,984 times
I sell a lot of real estate, and I've never had someone NOT buy in a neighborhood if they like the house because of an HOA. Never.

HOAs are a necessary evil a lot of times. They truly do help you keep values up in your neighborhood by having regulations. Too many times I see a home that would attract lots of buyers, but the neighbors kill the deal because their house is a wreck or uncared for.

River Chase isn't selling because it's a long way away from anything and it's overpriced. Too many novice "speculators" bought lots in there thinking they were going to strike it rich when they sold. Never works that way.

Old 05-14-2011, 03:52 AM

4 posts, read 5,248 times
Just curious... isn't the ACC an elected body, or at the very least, a body whose members are appointed and/or approved by the POA Board of Directors? It would seem to be a pretty easy thing to simply have the troublemakers replaced... but if you do that, be prepared to take their place, as most of the ACC's that I've been associated with are all volunteers, as well as fellow members of the community.

I was on an ACC for quite a while when I owned 5 acres and was preparing to build and live in Murrieta, CA (La Cresta Property Owners Association). I later ran for a position on the BoD, and served for several terms in the 1990's. It's a pretty thankless job, and you seem to end up making far more enemies than neighbors (though that's more a case of the "enemies" being louder than your neighbors).

In any event, I'll be in the River Chase area in about a month (June 2011), looking for a parcel upon which to build - we live in Japan at the moment, and are looking forward to repatriating in the NB/CL area!!

Old 05-14-2011, 09:20 AM

8 posts, read 13,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael.N View Post
In any event, I'll be in the River Chase area in about a month (June 2011), looking for a parcel upon which to build - we live in Japan at the moment, and are looking forward to repatriating in the NB/CL area!!
It is far wiser to buy an existing home than build right now. You can buy an existing home in the $80-100/sqft, whereas to build would be $150-200/sqft.
And the prices keep dropping. The realtors would have you believe that Texas has not been affected by the housing down turn....it has!
River chase is no exception. There has been almost no sales recently....nothing is moving.

Old 05-14-2011, 06:13 PM

4 posts, read 5,248 times
That's good info!! Buying an existing home and just remodeling it to incorporate what we'd like to have in a custom-built home is certainly possible, and probably a lot less expensive.

It come down to neighborhoods, the commute, and the lot size. We really don't want/need a large parcel, and 0.5 to 0.75 acre is actually PLENTY! I'm a social type, and I guess I'd like to see more of my neighbor than just his shadow in a car driving by out on the main road.

What we REALLY don't want, though, is to end up in a tract development where every third house seems identical, except for the pastel color that it's painted in, and not much more than a dozen feet between the houses.

Any thoughts on areas to consider that are within a 30-45 minute commute of Fort Sam, but yet still in Comal County?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio