Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 06:41 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,329,732 times

Advertisements

Sarah-Jane,
Sorry.... I didn't realize you were looking for a degree. Park University offers online degrees, and are ranked highly and accredited. They are based in Missouri, and have an actual campus. The local bases, Randolph, Lackland, and Ft. Sam. all offer Park classes so you can do partial online, partial classroom for hard classes. Anyway, you can get a gate pass even if you're not in the military to attend classes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 08:03 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah-Jane-Again View Post
Just wanted to add to this post with a further query... does anone know of any classes that they host at local Highschools in the evenings? It could be a language class or something creative. Any input/ideas would be welcomed.
For convenience in the northeast side area you described, you'll want to look at the community education program in the North East ISD.

https://communityed.neisd.net/root/default.aspx (broken link)

Old 09-03-2008, 09:24 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,367,677 times
Sarah.....since you did mention cost, you might check with the colleges regarding FAFSA. It's a Free Application for Federal Student Aid. Here's the link
to see if you might qualify. FAFSA - Free Application for Federal Student Aid

This is not a program for "indigent" individuals....but it is a government loan. The financial aid department will first see if a student qualifies for any "grants"...or money that does not have to be paid back. The 2nd step is providing financial support through a student loan. These are generally loans with regards to someone pursuing a degree. Whether or not that degree is achieved, the loan repayment usually does not start until after the student is finished with schooling. The 3rd step are private student loans and various institutions offer loans at reasonable rates. Sallie Mae is one well known institution for obtaining private student financing.

The financial aid department at any college or university will be able to give you specific information you need.

Also....since you did mention that you don't know many people, I would encourage you to take a class in person....even if it's one class. ACCD offers evening and weekend classes, as well as "mini-mesters" for various classes.
Its a great way to meet people....and often they are filled with working adults, and not younger students.

Good luck to you! And welcome to San Antonio!

Old 09-03-2008, 10:25 AM

1,805 posts, read 4,775,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre View Post
Wayland Baptist University is on I-35 near O'Connor Rd. EXTREMELY reasonable tuition (cheaper then UTSA), and EXTREMELY high caliber faculty. It is a satellite (one of 11) of their main campus in Plainview, TX. Ironically, it is larger than the main campus, with about 1500 students here in SA (about 300 of those are graduate).

Tuition is currently $ 555 per undergraduate course and $ 765 per graduate course. There are no additional fees, other than application and an ID card.

Wayland Baptist University - San Antonio

They have 4 11 week semesters per year, and most classes start at 6 pm.
Oh my good God in heaven....
I grew up in California and received my bachelors' degree from California State University at Long Beach - CSULB (as an older 're-entry' student, so when I see tuitions in other states, I hyperventilate.
And even at the MUCH cheaper tuition in California, scholarships snd grants paid for most of my education.
I would love to get a Masters' Degree, but whewwww.. the cost....
I COULD move back to California and get my masters' at their prices, but scholarships/grants are less likely for a Masters'....
btw, aren't '4 semesters' called quarters??

Old 09-03-2008, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopsGuysRule View Post
Oh my good God in heaven....
I grew up in California and received my bachelors' degree from California State University at Long Beach - CSULB (as an older 're-entry' student, so when I see tuitions in other states, I hyperventilate.
And even at the MUCH cheaper tuition in California, scholarships snd grants paid for most of my education.
I would love to get a Masters' Degree, but whewwww.. the cost....
I COULD move back to California and get my masters' at their prices, but scholarships/grants are less likely for a Masters'....
btw, aren't '4 semesters' called quarters??
Pops...I'm confused. If you live in Texas, you don't pay out of state tuition.

In Texas a semester is approximately 12-15 hours, but not confined to that. To complete a degree (in four years)...you need to pass about 120 + hours. (this also varies depending on the degree that's pursued). Some degrees have become five year plans because of the amount of time taking labs etc.

Obviously, working students (young and old) may not be able to take a full load of classes in a semester, so mini-mesters, and/or summer classes are often squeezed in if it works in their schedule. Another reason online classes and universities are gaining such popularity.

The FAFSA program above applies to adults as well. The amount of financial assistance given depends on the "need". It's really a great program for people that want to advance their educational level and possibly cut back on working hours to fit in class time.

If you're serious about pursuing your education, talk to one of the local universities about being a re-entry student from another state. You might be surprised at what's out there waiting for you for the taking!

Old 09-04-2008, 03:16 AM

1,805 posts, read 4,775,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Pops...I'm confused. If you live in Texas, you don't pay out of state tuition.

In Texas a semester is approximately 12-15 hours, but not confined to that. To complete a degree (in four years)...you need to pass about 120 + hours. (this also varies depending on the degree that's pursued). Some degrees have become five year plans because of the amount of time taking labs etc.

Obviously, working students (young and old) may not be able to take a full load of classes in a semester, so mini-mesters, and/or summer classes are often squeezed in if it works in their schedule. Another reason online classes and universities are gaining such popularity.

The FAFSA program above applies to adults as well. The amount of financial assistance given depends on the "need". It's really a great program for people that want to advance their educational level and possibly cut back on working hours to fit in class time.

If you're serious about pursuing your education, talk to one of the local universities about being a re-entry student from another state. You might be surprised at what's out there waiting for you for the taking!

Well, the post prior to mine quoted tuition of "$765 per graduate course". I assumed that WAS for a Texas resident. And I believe that I qualify as a Texas resident, having lived here since October 2006.
When I attended Calif State Univ, I was a California resident and I received every single penny I ever applied for in financial aid. I also received at least two scholarships each semester.
But, California tuition is a pittance compared to all other states.
I didn't see any qualification about that tuition being for non residents, but maybe I missed something.
I can go back to California and begin a Masters' degree right away, AT THE CALIF RESIDENT RATES, because I have already received my B.A. there. If I had NOT received my B.A. there, I would have to wait two years before I could pursue another degree at CA Resident rates.
Does that make sense?
I'm seriously thinking about doing it.

Old 09-04-2008, 05:31 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,051,760 times
Why do I have to pay for adult education classes when I pay the NEISD major bucks in property taxes with no kids. There s/b an exceptions here. Plus they should have classes that serve the whole NEISD area not just at Churchill HS

Old 09-04-2008, 06:18 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,032,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
Why do I have to pay for adult education classes when I pay the NEISD major bucks in property taxes with no kids. There s/b an exceptions here. Plus they should have classes that serve the whole NEISD area not just at Churchill HS

Because the instructors have to be paid. Unless you're willing to go teach some classes for free! I understand what you're saying, but seriously, do you expect people to work in the evenings for free? Most of them are either teachers that have already put in a full day, or people with day jobs, trying to supplement their incomes. Not to mention the use of the facilities--running the AC, having custodial staff to clean up, etc......

It's a fair price, IMO.

Old 09-04-2008, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopsGuysRule View Post
I didn't see any qualification about that tuition being for non residents, but maybe I missed something.
Pops..this is the part that confuses me. Maybe I don't know enough about your situation. Are you saying that you're not an official resident of Texas to qualify for in state tuition? I don't know how long you've lived here.

Even so.....FAFSA applies to all states, and full tuition with room and board allowances are included.

I don't have a clue to how Texas state tuition compares to Cali...but if it's as low as you say, in the long run, however, if grants or scholarships don't apply, then the accumulated loan would be greater.

I'm just trying to understand.

Old 09-04-2008, 01:40 PM

57 posts, read 310,225 times
To be honest, I'm finding all the courses and costs totall confusing. One of the first responses was about Lakeview College being only $555 per degree course, but when I visited the website for a better look, it appeared that it is actually $555 PER SEMESTER! There's no way on this earth that I could afford that kind of money.
Unfortunately, I doubt I would be entitled to any kind of grant either as I'm only a legal resident, not a citizen.
This really sucks
To be honest, I initially wanted a campus-based course so I could start making new friends (and obviously, further my education), but the more I think about it, the more I think an online-based course would be better for me.
But where on earth do I go just to obtain a BASIC degree... I mean, something basic like English Literature? It seems that all the courses offered both online and on campus are things like, criminal justice, art and technology.
To be blunt, I can probably afford $1,000 at a push to cover my education - do I have a hope in hell of getting a degree for that little amount?

I know the obvious answer is to pick up the phone and call some of the colleges to ask about enrollment and prices, but if any of you have ever called, you'll realise how difficult it is to get them off the telephone.. they're more like salesmen!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio