Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 01:13 AM

57 posts, read 310,138 times

Advertisements

I'm new to San Antonio (moved here from Britain), and although my husband has lived here for years, neither of us know about any adult education courses that are available North East side (Perrin Beital and Nacogdoches). I'm looking for evening classes, preferably in something that can earn me a qualification or even a degree, but I can't afford the thousands of dollars that I've been told it could cost.

Does anyone know of any cheap but worthwhile evening classes?
Thanks in advance
Sarah
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 05:17 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,019,120 times
Welcome to Alamo Community Colleges - Home Click on Northeast Lakeview College. It's a community college with a new campus, and it's part of the Alamo Community College District.

Also, check out Wayland Baptist, which caters to the working adult. Not as inexpensive as Northeast Lakeview, though.

Old 08-21-2008, 05:30 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,979,962 times
You may also want to consider online programs. I am working on my second masters that way...it is a lot of work and it takes some getting used to (I only took one or two classes online with my first masters); but it allows you to flex your schedule and once you get the hang of it, it is quite easy to do...

Cheers! M2

Old 08-21-2008, 12:35 PM

Thanks for the info, guys... I will certainly check all those options out. I'm particularly interested in the online idea.. how do i go about it, who do i get in touch with and how much does it cost to do it on a part-time basis?
Thanks in advance
Sarah

Old 08-21-2008, 12:40 PM

413 posts, read 1,404,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah-Jane-Again View Post
Thanks for the info, guys... I will certainly check all those options out. I'm particularly interested in the online idea.. how do i go about it, who do i get in touch with and how much does it cost to do it on a part-time basis?
Thanks in advance
Sarah
Pretty much any ACCD, which near you is Northeast Lakeview College, offers online courses. You still have to apply to the school and then when you register you just look for the classes that offer online. Usually they'll have a section in the course catalog that is specifically online classes. You can also ask the registar office at the school you choose. They do everything online, so you can find all the info at their website. I think it was posted above in sapphire's post, but just got to Welcome to Alamo Community Colleges - Home and that shows you all the schools and degree programs they offer. Hope that helps.

Old 08-21-2008, 04:22 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,552,763 times
Wayland Baptist University is on I-35 near O'Connor Rd. EXTREMELY reasonable tuition (cheaper then UTSA), and EXTREMELY high caliber faculty. It is a satellite (one of 11) of their main campus in Plainview, TX. Ironically, it is larger than the main campus, with about 1500 students here in SA (about 300 of those are graduate).

Tuition is currently $ 555 per undergraduate course and $ 765 per graduate course. There are no additional fees, other than application and an ID card.

Wayland Baptist University - San Antonio

They have 4 11 week semesters per year, and most classes start at 6 pm.

Old 08-21-2008, 04:35 PM

Thank you guys so much for your responses. I have noted each one down and will spend this evening having a look through to see what's available.
Wish me luck... I can't think of a better way to make new friends here (I only know my husband and his immediate family!) and to learn something rewarding at the same time.
Love Sarah

Old 09-02-2008, 05:20 PM

Just wanted to add to this post with a further query... does anone know of any classes that they host at local Highschools in the evenings? It could be a language class or something creative. Any input/ideas would be welcomed.
Thanks!

Old 09-03-2008, 06:38 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,323,735 times
I've taken a lot of classes through NISD.NET and I love all of them. I just took some golf lessons, I think it was 4 lessons for $45 and so worth it! Anyway, they have all kinds of stuff from languages, to DIY, to sports, to self help, to investing... just look under the adult education section on the website!

Old 09-03-2008, 06:39 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,323,735 times
Sarah-Jane, a lot of the NISD.net classes are at local high schools
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio