Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 03:11 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,867,023 times

Advertisements

While all of this stuff about the room w/ bars is weird and all............what is the deal w/ the roof????? Was there a water catchment system built into the house? Are the bars in this room on the INSIDE of the house or outside? If they are on the outside AND there is a water catchment system......... the room could have been used to store the water since the walls are concrete (if I read correctly). This would explain why no doors and the bars at the top of the walls would be to let the water get air so it doesn't get too damp and to gadge how deep it is and overflow could drain out and not flood the house. BUT, this could all be 100% wrong since I have not seen the house or a floorplan of it. Interesting though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 04:00 PM

Trying to find some info about this house I came across this on a website about an author from Sequin:

6 March 1967, Dallas (TX) Morning News, “Tolbert’s Texas” by Frank X. Tolbert, section D, pg. 1:
SEGUIN, the capital of Guadalupe County, was named in 1839 for Juan Seguin, commander of the Texas army’s “Latin company” at the Battle of San Jacinto. So “San Jacinto” might have been a more sensible title of Joshua Young’s unique house. The roof was designed so that a big pool of rain water was stored in it, to cool the house, and to provide water in event of siege by Indians. Sebastopol was begun in 1849 and completed in 1853.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:36 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,364,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Trying to find some info about this house I came across this on a website about an author from Sequin:

6 March 1967, Dallas (TX) Morning News, “Tolbert’s Texas” by Frank X. Tolbert, section D, pg. 1:
SEGUIN, the capital of Guadalupe County, was named in 1839 for Juan Seguin, commander of the Texas army’s “Latin company” at the Battle of San Jacinto. So “San Jacinto” might have been a more sensible title of Joshua Young’s unique house. The roof was designed so that a big pool of rain water was stored in it, to cool the house, and to provide water in event of siege by Indians. Sebastopol was begun in 1849 and completed in 1853.
Mom....Yes...you're correct. I've read the same thing about the roof designed to store water. I can't remember which source cited this....but apparently they accessed the roof from the outside and collected the water manually. I don't think there was a drain into the room under the house.

Koki could explain best, but from the links and her personal tour of the house is apparently saying that these "chambers" with hand carved and designed wood bars under the house had no access from inside or outside of the house.
They only discovered them when they went in to restore the house. Several theories seem plausible, except for the fact that there is no access in or out of these chambers. There is no gate, door, hatch or entry into any of it. You can see from the bars that they are so close together that someone could not even put their hand through them.

The other mystery to me is the name "Sebastapol". The origin of the word, and the use of it in other areas, does not shed light on what significance it held to Joshua Young, and why he chose it for the name of this home.

Old 09-03-2008, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Mom....Yes...you're correct. I've read the same thing about the roof designed to store water. I can't remember which source cited this....but apparently they accessed the roof from the outside and collected the water manually. I don't think there was a drain into the room under the house.

Koki could explain best, but from the links and her personal tour of the house is apparently saying that these "chambers" with hand carved and designed wood bars under the house had no access from inside or outside of the house.
They only discovered them when they went in to restore the house. Several theories seem plausible, except for the fact that there is no access in or out of these chambers. There is no gate, door, hatch or entry into any of it. You can see from the bars that they are so close together that someone could not even put their hand through them.

The other mystery to me is the name "Sebastapol". The origin of the word, and the use of it in other areas, does not shed light on what significance it held to Joshua Young, and why he chose it for the name of this home.
I'd love to see a floorplan of the house. I tried to find one online but no luck. It is still possible that this "room" being located where it is and being built with NO ACCESS could still be used to hold water. The bars would have been built close enough together to prevent animals and children from falling into it or climbing into it and drowning. There would not have been a door but only some kind of spigot or drain to open up to get water out of. I would think located at the lowest point possible. Since the door was put in we don't know what might have been in that place. A drain from the roof could also be plugged up if it was built to properly drain and needed to be kept cleaned out. It is bizarre and that is why when I saw the roof it made a bit of sense that this "room" could have been used to hold water. One would not want a door or any other kind of large opening to access this area if it did contain water.

As for the name.......one might need to go back to where he was born (Alabama) and see if maybe there was something in that area w/ the same name and he wanted to honor it or remember it. This was quite common back then. Reading his genealogy there were some familiar names. I need to sit and go thru mine and see if there are some links.

Old 09-03-2008, 11:37 AM

Quote:
I'd love to see a floorplan of the house. I tried to find one online but no luck. It is still possible that this "room" being located where it is and being built with NO ACCESS could still be used to hold water. The bars would have been built close enough together to prevent animals and children from falling into it or climbing into it and drowning. There would not have been a door but only some kind of spigot or drain to open up to get water out of. I would think located at the lowest point possible. Since the door was put in we don't know what might have been in that place. A drain from the roof could also be plugged up if it was built to properly drain and needed to be kept cleaned out. It is bizarre and that is why when I saw the roof it made a bit of sense that this "room" could have been used to hold water. One would not want a door or any other kind of large opening to access this area if it did contain water.

As for the name.......one might need to go back to where he was born (Alabama) and see if maybe there was something in that area w/ the same name and he wanted to honor it or remember it. This was quite common back then. Reading his genealogy there were some familiar names. I need to sit and go thru mine and see if there are some links.
Well...you've certainly proposed and interesting theory. This home has been excavated, but I don't know to what extent. They didn't have a huge budget to work with, however, so some of the possibilities you've suggested my be plausible.

RE: the name...I googled other cities by that name and the only thing that came up was in Miss...and Wales. The origin is questionable, but possibly greek and was given to the Russian naval port on the Crimean Sea in the 1700's.

My guess it had some sentimental significance as you also suggested. (Just an added edit....the family tree link indicates he and his wife and parents were from North Carolina. His grandfather was born in England...but came to the colonies in the mid 1700's and married.)

Koki....did they mention anything about why it was named Sebastapol in the tour?

Old 09-03-2008, 01:18 PM

26 posts, read 135,739 times
Default "DISAPPOINTMENT ROOM" Photos II

Yes, it was mentioned on the tour how "Sebastopol House" got it's name. It's known as The Greek Revival building, but that's not it. I want to say it had something to do with Poland, but I just don't remember. We are going back this weekend. I will settle this once and for all. List your questions and I'll ask the Ranger. I'll have your answers by Monday. In the meantime, here are some more photos. I'm sorry Catharine is sideways. I'll try to get a better picture of her while I'm there.
1. Catharine LeGette 2. The LeGette Story 3. Before The Restoration

By the way, mom, the "room" has dirt floors and it is doubtful that it was ever used as a water storage. It looks as though it was a "Disappointment Room." I know it sounds absolutely terrible, but we really think that is what it was used for. I'll take more pictures and ask more questions. Maybe I can explain things a little better on Monday. I'm so glad people other than myself are interested in this.
Attached Thumbnails
Disappointment Room-dsc05802.jpg   Disappointment Room-dsc05800.jpg   Disappointment Room-dsc05781.jpg  

Old 09-03-2008, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koki View Post
Yes, it was mentioned on the tour how "Sebastopol House" got it's name. It's known as The Greek Revival building, but that's not it. I want to say it had something to do with Poland, but I just don't remember. We are going back this weekend. I will settle this once and for all. List your questions and I'll ask the Ranger. I'll have your answers by Monday. In the meantime, here are some more photos. I'm sorry Catharine is sideways. I'll try to get a better picture of her while I'm there.
1. Catharine LeGette 2. The LeGette Story 3. Before The Restoration

By the way, mom, the "room" has dirt floors and it is doubtful that it was ever used as a water storage. It looks as though it was a "Disappointment Room." I know it sounds absolutely terrible, but we really think that is what it was used for. I'll take more pictures and ask more questions. Maybe I can explain things a little better on Monday. I'm so glad people other than myself are interested in this.
Koki....re: the disappointment room....according to what is said, wouldn't it be to hide away a deranged or deformed or handicapped family member. I still don't see how they would have gotten them in or out....or fed them or empty chamber pots etc? Is a disappointment room a place they would have put them to die?....because how else would they have survived with no way to be cared for even in secret?

Questions:

1) had the ground inside these chambers been excavated for artifacts?
2) other than the doors cut into the sides of the house, has there been any recent access either from underground or by taking the bars down to access these chambers?
3) have they excavated the grounds around the house and on down to the river to see if there might be evidence of a caved in tunnel or crawl space to the river.
4) was there any evidence of a opening in the floor or walls or secret passages between walls or under stairs that might have led to access to these rooms...that may now have been or at one time by previous owner been closed up permanently
5) was there any evidence that the original structure had been remodeled or altered in anyway from the original construction
6) have any descendants of the LeGette family or the Zorn family (and there were a lot of them!) been contacted to see if they know of any family history concerning that house and what was under it.
7) do they know of any other tunnels in the Seguin area that might have been for hiding for various raids or safety.

That's all my brain can handle right now.....go get em Koki!

I'm into anything that's architectural and historical (if no one has noticed!)

I'm sure there is a lot of history in those walls if they could talk!

Old 09-03-2008, 02:56 PM

I'm wondering if we are OVER analyzing this room. Since they did live much simplier back then than we do today. Just wondering........

What if it was just put there as a future room and no door to access it. Since the house is built on a hill and this was built as the "foundation" to hold the rest of the house up much like a crawl space but just larger??? And not accessible of course. That he built it to be a future area to be used as a cellar or such???? That he built the house without realizing this area COULD be used as a room or some purpose but needed it to hold up the main floor of the home. ?????

As for his genealogy...... between my lines and my husbands there were several that were in North Carolina and South Carolina and then moved to Alabama and some onto Texas. Some of the surnames sound familiar but I have not done much in that for awhile. One of my ancestors was on the Mayflower and it does show one as well for Joshua Young I noticed. All of my husbands lines and mine were ALL in the "New World" by the early 1700's and the areas mentioned are all familiar to me. Now I've got to dig that box out...... like I don't have anything else to do.

Old 09-03-2008, 05:06 PM

Quote:
I'm wondering if we are OVER analyzing this room. Since they did live much simplier back then than we do today. Just wondering........

What if it was just put there as a future room and no door to access it. Since the house is built on a hill and this was built as the "foundation" to hold the rest of the house up much like a crawl space but just larger??? And not accessible of course. That he built it to be a future area to be used as a cellar or such???? That he built the house without realizing this area COULD be used as a room or some purpose but needed it to hold up the main floor of the home. ?????

As for his genealogy...... between my lines and my husbands there were several that were in North Carolina and South Carolina and then moved to Alabama and some onto Texas. Some of the surnames sound familiar but I have not done much in that for awhile. One of my ancestors was on the Mayflower and it does show one as well for Joshua Young I noticed. All of my husbands lines and mine were ALL in the "New World" by the early 1700's and the areas mentioned are all familiar to me. Now I've got to dig that box out...... like I don't have anything else to do.
MOm...Koki and I talked about that privately....like it might have been just support beams under the foundation of the house...or a potential root cellar etc. She pointed out the remarkable craftsman ship in the bars and I had imagined something more primative. That sort of threw a kink in my theory.

There is conflicting info between the family history of Joshua Young, and the historical society whether Sebastapol was supposed to be for him vs his building it for his widowed sister. Either way, Joshua never lived with his sister, nor did he live in the house. His sister LeGette had a large number of children and slaves.....and the Zorn family was also very large. There are only three bedrooms on the main floor for the family....so if they wanted to expand under the house, they apparently didn't know they could.....or they just didn't to it. I think it's another good question for Koki to take add to the list.

I have one bit of interesting "info" that I need to verify....and I'll come back and post it.

Old 09-03-2008, 06:36 PM

Mom....just FYI....Joshua Young was living in MS in 1850. There is a Sebastopol, MS, but it was not created until 1882....long after he left. I could not find a reference for a town or anything with that name in Alabama or NC.

He was in Alabama between about 1838 and 1845. Then moved to MS...

His first wife Jane died in Texas and he married "Mrs" Mary L. Saunder" in 1856 in Seguin. They had five more children....making a total of 11 children born to Joshua.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio