U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 10:51 AM

22 posts, read 218,339 times
Default Beaches near San Antonio

So..I moved to San Antonio last July, from Los Angeles California, and trust me I dont miss it, except for the beach

so I know the beaches are not to far from here, so I was wondering what would be the best beach to go to, without driving more then 3-4 hours, if its possible. everyone has told me that the beaches in Texas are really dirty, and to not even go and be let down, but I really don't care, I would just like to go to a beacH!! its been way to long. I would like a beach with a downtown area, shopping, cute restaurants...maybe I just wish i was still back in Santa Monica, and expect to much, anything would help. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2007, 10:55 AM

2,349 posts, read 6,053,303 times
Not much to it but Port Aranasas is about the closet beach to SA.

Old 01-31-2007, 01:03 PM

530 posts, read 1,468,417 times
Why dont you miss L.A. ?

South Padre Island is not bad but its 300 miles away, Port Aransas stinks.

Old 01-31-2007, 02:56 PM

4,167 posts, read 6,612,648 times
I've been to Port Aransas many times. I don't know what is wrong with it to be honest. I've also been to South Padre AND southern California. San Diego, LA, and smaller scenic towns in between. I don't find the beach at Port Aransas as any "less" than those. But maybe some people care more about certain things.

You could also check out Corpus Christi's bay, located downtown. It's on the way to Port A.

Old 01-31-2007, 08:37 PM

3,823 posts, read 9,833,124 times
Default Corpus Christi Beach

To piggyback off of OzzyRules, Corpus Christi beach would be a nice place to visit. Take I37 south ALL the way to the end and you're there (Around 140 miles from San Antonio). You can walk along the sidewalk next to the beach, tour a WWII aircraft carrier, go to pier and watch the fishing boats come in and buy some fish, go further down the main street and see all the rich houses. Not to far away is Padre and Mustang Islands, and Port Aransas.

http://www.corpuschristi-tx-cvb.org/

http://www.eracorpuschristi.com/images/mcgee.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by Steel Man; 01-31-2007 at 08:45 PM..

Old 01-31-2007, 08:53 PM

22 posts, read 218,339 times
to answer montevistas question.. I grew up in Los Angeles, I am 21 so I'm not that old, but California has the 4th worst education system, I plan on having a family soon, and I want my kids to recieve a decent education, Texas ranks 25, so its either best or worst. I hated traffic, minus the humidity, the weather is exactly the same. I now own my own brand new three bedroom, two bathroom home, with the same payment I was giving for rent in some 40 year old one bedroom one bathroom apartment, I am 21, married, both me and my husband were going to a good univirsity, so we couldnt save much, we were living check by check to pay our rent, which was so depressing knowing that we would never be able to own a home in a decent area in Los Angeles. I want to teach, and teachers dont get paid much in California, teachers in Texas get paid twice as much. When I first moved here of course, we missed our friends, family, we literally left our whole "lives" in California. People get the image that California is great, but after living here for about 6-7 months, I'm not sure if I would ever move back. There are a few things I do miss about California, like In n out, the great shopping, and of course the beach. But In n out wasnt going to stop us from making the move.

Old 01-31-2007, 11:04 PM

546 posts, read 2,170,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montevista1 View Post
Why dont you miss L.A. ?

South Padre Island is not bad but its 300 miles away, Port Aransas stinks.
I agree, Port Aransas is utterly depressing. South Padre isn't much better, and the drive there is one big speed trap...Texas has a lot to offer, but beaches ain't one of 'em.

Old 02-01-2007, 07:26 AM

870 posts, read 1,856,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeamsochill View Post
to answer montevistas question.. I grew up in Los Angeles, I am 21 so I'm not that old, but California has the 4th worst education system, I plan on having a family soon, and I want my kids to recieve a decent education, Texas ranks 25, so its either best or worst.
First of all, Welcome to Texas!

As for the school systems here, I'd recommend putting your children in private school. There are lots of very good ones around and by the time you would have to make a decision like that, you will probably have even more choices. You may have to make some financial sacrifices, but to me, it is well worth it.

Quote:
I hated traffic, minus the humidity, the weather is exactly the same. I now own my own brand new three bedroom, two bathroom home, with the same payment I was giving for rent in some 40 year old one bedroom one bathroom apartment, I am 21, married, both me and my husband were going to a good univirsity, so we couldnt save much, we were living check by check to pay our rent, which was so depressing knowing that we would never be able to own a home in a decent area in Los Angeles.
I understand where you are coming from -- I have a friend in LA that is in the same boat you were in. She plans to move out here this year. The sad state of schools, high crime rate, and the paycheck-to-paycheck syndrome were driving them crazy.

Quote:
I want to teach, and teachers dont get paid much in California, teachers in Texas get paid twice as much.
That is so sad. Doesn't CA have high school taxes? I don't think teachers here get paid enough. Especially middle school teachers!

Quote:
When I first moved here of course, we missed our friends, family, we literally left our whole "lives" in California. People get the image that California is great, but after living here for about 6-7 months, I'm not sure if I would ever move back.
It must have been very hard to leave everything behind and move, but I'm glad you feel you made the right decision. My friend is trying to get her family to make the move either with her or as soon as they can. Or at least one set of grandparents.

Quote:
There are a few things I do miss about California, like In n out, the great shopping, and of course the beach. But In n out wasnt going to stop us from making the move.
In n Out Burgers! mmmmmmmmm! I wish they'd open a franchise down here. MY husband misses them, too. First time we went to Vegas, he had to take me to In n Out. Now anytime we go to Vegas, we make a point to go to In n Out!

googie2525 -- As for the beaches, we made a trip down to So. Padre last summer and had a great time. There are still parts of the beach that are virtually undeveloped and natural. It took us about 5 hrs to drive from SA, but it was well worth it. I don't remember any speed traps, though. Where are they?

Again, eyeamsochill, welcome to Texas!

Old 02-01-2007, 09:35 AM

4,794 posts, read 9,923,781 times
Hi E! Welcome to SA! Thanks for sharing what you like about this area.

I love the beach too......but I have to agree that development along Texas beaches has been very slow. Galveston has lots of hotels and pretty nice beaches. Mustang Island and North Padre are so-so.....but the nicest beaches are on South Padre Island. Corpus Christi Bay is lovely, but compared to the quaint little areas along the California coast, it's sort of a let down. But...it sounds like you have an open mind.....you have a lot of pluses going for you here, so the beaches may not be that disappointing.

If I were going for a quick weekend trip, I'd go to "North Padre Island". It's about 30-40 minutes farther than Corpus Christi. It's right on the gulf. The Holiday Inn Sunpree is about the nicest and most affordable hotel in that area. There are some condos etc, but they are hit and miss. Keep in mind....it's just a Holiday Inn.....beach style....but it's not a dump.

We stayed at the Hyatt on Corpus Christi bay....but there is no beach access. There are beaches a short distance, but you need a car. The hotel was nice....and lots of good seafood in the area.

The problem with the beaches around the Corpus Christi area is that the waves coming in off the gulf are pretty powerful....no breaker islands or reefs. It sort of churns up the sand from the bottom and makes the water look murky. It's not really a dirty beach.....it just isn't sparking blue.

South Padre Island is much more for vacations.....prettier beaches and water....more of a Miami feel. Also Mexico is about 45 minutes away for day trip shopping. Loads of fun to go and relax!

Old 02-01-2007, 08:46 PM

546 posts, read 2,170,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catriona View Post
In n Out Burgers! mmmmmmmmm! I wish they'd open a franchise down here. MY husband misses them, too. First time we went to Vegas, he had to take me to In n Out. Now anytime we go to Vegas, we make a point to go to In n Out!

googie2525 -- As for the beaches, we made a trip down to So. Padre last summer and had a great time. There are still parts of the beach that are virtually undeveloped and natural. It took us about 5 hrs to drive from SA, but it was well worth it. I don't remember any speed traps, though. Where are they?

Again, eyeamsochill, welcome to Texas!
I actually looked into bringing In-N-Out to San Antonio a year or so ago, but they're privately owned and have no interest in franchising, which I found baffling. They could make a killing here!

As for the speed traps, I can't recall the exact towns, but when I drove there a few months ago, it seemed like there was a policeman with a pulled-over car every five minutes...AND I received 2 speeding tickets, albeit one going, and one returning. I wasn't even flying, it was 67mph or something like that, with not a soul in sight, well, maybe I ought to learn my lesson, I tend to zip around
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio