Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2008, 04:07 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,487,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXtrkgrl View Post
This reminds me of one time when someone was obviously following me home. I went past my gate about 1/2 mile to my neighbors gate who is a cop . I turned in and the truck went on by, but I figured if he came back to "get even" (or whatever they do) he would be surprised to see a cop car sitting in the driveway.

That actually happened to me twice. The first time it lead to a fight, the second was not that big of deal. but anyhow I see alot of crazy driving here and there. The best thing to do is to let those clowns speed away. And if they follow you CALL THE COPS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 04:18 PM

16 posts, read 68,698 times
I'm sorry this happened to you. SA is pretty notorious for its driving skills (yeah, theres no such thing as a fast lane here), but is far better traffic-wise than say Austin or Houston. My biggest pet peeve is in front of the Quarry, before you hit 281. It says, Lane Ends Merge Left. I always get in the left lane and have the people in the right haul ass to cut me off, not let me who is in the correct lane merge or honk and give me the finger. It disgusts me to no end, but is something I know I have to live with. 410 is awful and full of bad drivers. However, Im sure we have all done stuff to **** off other drivers.

Again, sorry you had a bad experience. Either I have gotten used to it and know when Im going to hit the bad areas or I myself have become so bad I dont notice any more.

Best of luck, and San Antonio really is a good city... no where is perfect!

Old 09-04-2008, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmhype View Post
I'm sorry this happened to you. SA is pretty notorious for its driving skills (yeah, theres no such thing as a fast lane here), but is far better traffic-wise than say Austin or Houston. My biggest pet peeve is in front of the Quarry, before you hit 281. It says, Lane Ends Merge Left. I always get in the left lane and have the people in the right haul ass to cut me off, not let me who is in the correct lane merge or honk and give me the finger. It disgusts me to no end, but is something I know I have to live with. 410 is awful and full of bad drivers. However, Im sure we have all done stuff to **** off other drivers.

Again, sorry you had a bad experience. Either I have gotten used to it and know when Im going to hit the bad areas or I myself have become so bad I dont notice any more.

Best of luck, and San Antonio really is a good city... no where is perfect!

I preefer dumb driver than stupid wannabe gangs any day of the week.

Old 09-19-2008, 11:46 AM

413 posts, read 1,399,990 times
My letter to the older generation of drivers from one of the younger gens, Moderator cut: inappropriate remark please stop going 30mph to get on 281. The speed limit is 60-65 mph, those people on the highway are not going to slow down for your 30mph car to get on the highway. Then you have the nerve to flick me off, because I honk my horn for you to go faster, because you almost caused the car behind me to hit me. So, please I beg you stop doing it or don't drive. If I had any power in the legislation, I would make it against the law to get a driver's license over the age of 70 without a doctor's note stating that you have the reaction time to respond to anything and enough strength to push the pedal so you can go faster to get on the highway. All I hear about is how unsafe younger drivers are and blah blah blah, but you today ma'am just proved my point Moderator cut: inappropriate remark. I'm not trying to be disrespectful. I know I was pushing time today because my professor held me over in class and I had to get to work so I was a little antsy, but you surely were not helping me but not going the speed limit. Thank you for your time. Sorry for the rant.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 09-19-2008 at 02:05 PM.. Reason: unnecessary & disrespectful remarks removed... point still made so need to go overboard here.

Old 09-19-2008, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangeruscurves View Post
My letter to the older generation of drivers from one of the younger gens, Moderator cut: inappropriate remark please stop going 30mph to get on 281. The speed limit is 60-65 mph, those people on the highway are not going to slow down for your 30mph car to get on the highway. Then you have the nerve to flick me off, because I honk my horn for you to go faster, because you almost caused the car behind me to hit me. So, please I beg you stop doing it or don't drive. If I had any power in the legislation, I would make it against the law to get a driver's license over the age of 70 without a doctor's note stating that you have the reaction time to respond to anything and enough strength to push the pedal so you can go faster to get on the highway. All I hear about is how unsafe younger drivers are and blah blah blah, but you today ma'am just proved my point Moderator cut: inappropriate remark. I'm not trying to be disrespectful. I know I was pushing time today because my professor held me over in class and I had to get to work so I was a little antsy, but you surely were not helping me but not going the speed limit. Thank you for your time. Sorry for the rant.
Well technically its good courtesy to move over when people are merging onto the highway. Shure theres the acceleration ramps but most of them are real short or have a curve on them. I do agree with you geeser's should be exceptional. If a class A driver has to get a medical every two years so I can keep my license. Why in the hell havent they came up with a requirement for the elderly or people who suffer from driving imparements?

In my opinion they should atlest get a vision and hearing test every two years. (done at DPS of course.)

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 09-19-2008 at 09:10 PM.. Reason: repaired quote

Old 09-19-2008, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svg210 View Post
Well technically its good courtesy to move over when people are merging onto the highway. Shure theres the acceleration ramps but most of them are real short or have a curve on them. I do agree with you geeser's should be exceptional. If a class A driver has to get a medical every two years so I can keep my license. Why in the hell havent they came up with a requirement for the elderly or people who suffer from driving imparements?

In my opinion they should atlest get a vision and hearing test every two years. (done at DPS of course.)
Your keywords is technically and courtesy. A lot of people don't do it.

Old 09-19-2008, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Your keywords is technically and courtesy. A lot of people don't do it.
Thats because they dont know!, when i was working at Coca Cola, I used to take drivers to get their commercial licenses, and let me be the first to tell you that DPS is really stupid, They ask the most retarded questions (ie. What does a green light mean) that even a diaper wearing two year old can answer! and yet people mostly teenagers still have a hard time passing their written exams. but they'll let them pass if they get 75 percent right. or worse if they fail its okay for them to come back the next day and try again, but wait there's more! The computer gives you the right answer if you asnwer incorrectly. But what really takes the cake is that the next time they take the test it will be the same frikken one! What did they learn?

Now let me move on to the driving part. The instructors never pay attention. It looks like they do it on purpose to see if the driver is going to slip up but nope they really arent doing their job. Ive seen instructors talking on their phones, eat food, or take their reading books with them. Lol

If I were running the show. I would change things first I'll make minors take a hard version of the test. Theres no way I'm going to let stupid kids be driving on the roads without makeing shure they know what their doing. I'm shure their parents will thank me later when they see their insurance bills.

Then I'll make people over 60 take vision and eye exams every two years. These exams will be provided at the DPS site of course with a trained and certified personell admistrating these exams.

I'll make driving and the written test more difficult, not in a way that perfection is necessary, but a general Idea on how things are supposed to be. with a 90 percent passing rate. Whats better a driver that passed his test with 75 percent or 90 percent? I would also include the Smith System as a requirement.

And last but not least three strikes and youre out! if they fail their written/driving part of the test three consecutive times, They will have to start all over with a new application fee. Think of all the revenue the state will have, We will get state of the art equipment, better and bigger DPS offices the possibilities will be endless. And with a wider waiting time in between tests period. Like the first time an applicant fails he/she would wait a week till they can re-take a test, two weeks after the second failing and three if they have to start over. That will give them an Idea that not every one can drive unless they have an idea on how everything works.

Last edited by svg210; 09-19-2008 at 05:45 PM..

Old 09-19-2008, 05:34 PM

svg210 for pres!! hehe I feel the same way. My parents are the ones who really taught me how to drive. I'm not perfect by any means, but sometimes it just gets to me.

Old 09-19-2008, 05:43 PM

Quote:
svg210 for pres!! hehe I feel the same way. My parents are the ones who really taught me how to drive. I'm not perfect by any means, but sometimes it just gets to me.
Ohh heck no then I'll have to work! lol I'm on the road all day so I see everything. so by now i have gotten used to all the onefingers salutes honks etc....

My moment of the week came when i was driving on the rain once then i was changing lanes and some idiot on a truck tried to over take the lane I was merging on, but my tractor was already in so i didnt think twice, I threw my trailer at him and he freaked out, he realized i wasnt going to fall fo his aggression so he ended up driving on the shoulder, after the shoulder ended he still wanted to pass. So he ended up running outside of the road and he hit the slippery when wet sign and knocked it down. he kept going but still tried to pass me! Thats when i gave up and hit the brakes so he can get back on the road. There was no way I was going to risk the saftey of the people next to me and behind me. When he finally got back on he saluted me, but I was craking up at his stupidity the lady next to me gave me a thumbs up and was lauging it up. every one was shaking their heads at him at the light though.

Old 09-19-2008, 05:49 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,624,243 times
Quote:
First of all, I'm not 70, but I have been driving for almost 40 years. I have driven all kinds of vehicles, motorcycles, stick shift, right-hand drive, big fuel trucks, etc.. I have also driven on the other side of the road overseas (for 6 years). Though I do agree that "older" drivers are sometimes over cautious, including driving too slow, do not group all of them into this group. To me, I see a lot more dangerous driving like exiting at the last minute going across more than 2 lanes, excessive speeding (more than 100 MPH on freeways and other roadways), and cutting back and forth in traffic just to get somewhere a few minutes earlier. And, I won't even go into putting on makeup or text messaging while driving. Generally, these are things an "old" driver will not do. And yes, younger drivers have more accidents and deaths. Car insurance companies give discounts to older drivers for a reason.
BTW: Interesting moniker you chose. Hope it doesn't apply to your driving.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 09-19-2008 at 09:10 PM.. Reason: repaired quote
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio