U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2008, 07:35 PM

61 posts, read 305,225 times

Advertisements

We will be there in less than two weeks, finally, and I wanted to adopt a dog that would swim and be a good companion for our 9 year old daughter. I have been scouring Pet Finders and I see so many rescue places in the SA area and wondered if any of you have had experience with them? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 07:51 PM

60 posts, read 222,315 times
Try the Animal Defense League. They are a no kill shelter and have a large selection of animals. I know 2 people who have adopted from them and they've been very happy. You can view their animals on their website - www.animaldefenseleague.org (http://www.animaldefenseleague.org - broken link).

Good luck and welcome to San Antonio.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisSA; 08-27-2008 at 07:52 PM.. Reason: fixed link

Old 08-27-2008, 07:53 PM

13,807 posts, read 26,293,318 times
I got my two babies at the Alamo Heights Kennel Club rescue. They did a good job of screening me and the adoption fee was only $100 per dog. They also came up with great names for them and they are as fitting today as they were the day we got them. They're chiweenies (chihuahua dachshund mix) named Socks and Noodles. Socks has four white paws and Noodles is the craziest dog you've ever met. I'm guessing they probably remember them because they were so crazy and loved running around playing with eachother. Splitting them up was never an option.

Old 08-27-2008, 08:04 PM

759 posts, read 3,384,602 times
Hooray!! Hugs and kisses for adopting What a wonderful lesson to teach your daughter!!

Honestly, you can find a great dog anywhere... my parents' dog, (and I guess my dog), a 10 yr old lab mix was adopted straight from the city pound 9 1/2 yrs ago... he's amazing!

My dog (almost certainly a pure lab, not that it mattered to me) was adopted from a high kill pound near Ft. Worth. I did find him via Petfinder.com: Adopt a pet and help an animal shelter rescue a puppy or kitten.. But I agree- a little overwhelming and not always up-to-date.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you can find a great dog anywhere. And yes, the city pound is a little sad bc they DO put dogs down... but hey, it's not like they WANT to... they don't have a choice bc idiot breeders continue to breed and non-responsible owners continue to NOT speuter. *stepping off my soapbox now*

If you're super open, consider a black dog. I wish I had known about this when I was adopting- Black Dog Syndrome

However, due to our hot summers, black dogs (and really, most dogs) should not be kept outside bc they do get so hot. Just something to consider...

GL and I'd love to hear about your new family member some day! Best wishes on your move down

Old 08-27-2008, 09:30 PM

2,953 posts, read 8,602,663 times
Animal Defense League of Texas, San Antonio, TX: Adoptable Pets: Petfinder

Humane Society SPCA of Bexar County Online

These two places, plus almost every vet in SA has a board with people offering good pets up for adoption.

Old 08-27-2008, 10:16 PM

4,796 posts, read 13,712,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
Animal Defense League of Texas, San Antonio, TX: Adoptable Pets: Petfinder

Humane Society SPCA of Bexar County Online

These two places, plus almost every vet in SA has a board with people offering good pets up for adoption.
The Humane Society has built a new large state of the art facility on Fredericksburg Rd. I have saved a lot of pets from various HSs.

Also the Animal Defense League has many volunteers that come and walk the dogs in their on site dog park so they get acclimated to being handled and people friendly. That is also a big plus to finding a good match for a home.

Their cat house is also open to visitors and volunteers for the kitties to be handled and used to human companionship. Great facility!

Old 08-28-2008, 07:03 AM

61 posts, read 305,225 times
Default Thank you so much, you guys are great!

I have been scouring Pet Finder for days and I feel like with all the places there we will find a dog for sure. I found a black lab puppy there in SA and I had no idea about "black dog syndrome" until recently. I will for sure get us a black dog as it will be a family member and in the house mostly and swimming the other part of the time with us in the Comal!!!!! Whoo-hoo finally coming home! Thanks again everybody, and for those of you in pet mode, PLEASE ADOPT!

Old 11-06-2009, 07:46 AM

1 posts, read 2,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitguru View Post
We will be there in less than two weeks, finally, and I wanted to adopt a dog that would swim and be a good companion for our 9 year old daughter. I have been scouring Pet Finders and I see so many rescue places in the SA area and wondered if any of you have had experience with them? Thanks
oksaveadog.org Go there,
woman in Prague, OK has over a hundred dogs from Bloodhound to Teacups all rescued and she cares for. She makes nothing, just charges for vet fees. I got my precious dog(Moaxie) from her. I wish I could have taken more but now have 2 adopted dacshund mixes. They seem to know you have saved them. Little angels from God in disguise.

Old 11-06-2009, 07:51 AM

556 posts, read 1,828,634 times
Oops - fell victim to the 'date' thing - sorry - I'm sure fitguru is all set and has a great dog by now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio