U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-27-2008, 09:59 PM
 
1,365 posts, read 3,968,249 times
Reputation: 1487

Advertisements

omg - yes - arbolito's --- my mom lives there!!! --- she loves this nursery and they do have good prices on their sale items...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-29-2008, 11:02 AM
 
Location: in my mind
2,745 posts, read 13,090,552 times
Reputation: 1605
Just wanted to add that I saw another Arbolito's on Military... I am awful with directions. I just know I was downtown, went down Flores to Military and there's an Arbolito's there, looked like they were having a sale also and I saw the Esperanza from far away, they were big and in full bloom. I didn't go... I was thrift shopping instead. It was close to the Texas Thrift if anyone knows where that is over there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2008, 11:10 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Ohio
16,814 posts, read 33,121,638 times
Reputation: 13587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Be sure to pick the "green beans" off of it. The sooner you pull those seed pods off of the plant, the sooner it gets back to blooming. It's a good "project" for the kids if you have little ones around.
I was telling Mrs. Bowie about this thread and my advice above, since she pays more attention to the esperanzas here than I do. She said I should add that esperanzas seem to bloom the most when they get plenty of light and not too much water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2008, 11:28 AM
 
Location: in my mind
2,745 posts, read 13,090,552 times
Reputation: 1605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
I was telling Mrs. Bowie about this thread and my advice above, since she pays more attention to the esperanzas here than I do. She said I should add that esperanzas seem to bloom the most when they get plenty of light and not too much water.
I'm not arguing because I am a TOTAL newbie when it comes to plants.. (I didn't have any interest in any of it until we bought our house last year)... but I have been perplexed by the lack of blooms on my Esperanza. I even posted about it here on the Garden forum on CD...

Anyway, I was following the advice I'd found by reading various websites about this plant and I did pull off all the seed pods (and saved the seeds for later, btw, there are TONS in each pod)... but they weren't blooming heavily like others I see around town. Well, it's only been since the most recent heavy rains that it's started to bloom like MAD.. so I can't help but wonder if they need more water than I'd been lead to believe?? I was watering when the ground felt dry when I stuck my finger all the way in the surrounding dirt, or when it looked "droopy"... which came out to be once a week, sometimes once every 10 days or so. The plant was blooming only sporadically, then we had all this rain, and I worried it would not respond well, but it went nuts and is full of color!

I wish I knew exactly how much water was "too much" or "not enough".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2008, 12:49 PM
 
Location: South Central Texas
114,159 posts, read 53,997,969 times
Reputation: 163207
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
Just wanted to add that I saw another Arbolito's on Military... I am awful with directions. I just know I was downtown, went down Flores to Military and there's an Arbolito's there, looked like they were having a sale also and I saw the Esperanza from far away, they were big and in full bloom. I didn't go... I was thrift shopping instead. It was close to the Texas Thrift if anyone knows where that is over there.
Texas Thrift is across from Bill Miller's at Roosevelt and S.E. Military. I think that's it anyway. Arbolitos is a block south of Military on S. Flores 6714 S. Flores. Btw, my little Esperanza's out by the street are in full bloom. I almost never water them. Of course we have had the rains and clouds lately. If I still had all those Esperanza's in one gallon pots I'd share with ya! Grew a bunch of Angel Trumpets in one gallon containers too 3-4 yrs. ago. A neighbor has an Esperanza about 12 feet tall in her front yard. On steroids I think!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2008, 06:42 PM
 
82 posts, read 279,446 times
Reputation: 38
I was at Arbolito's on San Pedro today.
It used to be Callaway's, if I remember.
Nice prices, Really friendly people. Great selection, and growing.
It was a good experience.
Also, I think Wolfe is the name of the nursery on Ruiz.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2008, 06:48 PM
 
Location: South Central Texas
114,159 posts, read 53,997,969 times
Reputation: 163207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2begreen View Post
I was at Arbolito's on San Pedro today.
It used to be Callaway's, if I remember.
Nice prices, Really friendly people. Great selection, and growing.
It was a good experience.
Also, I think Wolfe is the name of the nursery on Ruiz.
All three were originally Wolfe's I believe. Then Callaway's and now Arbolito's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2008, 07:13 PM
 
Location: in my mind
2,745 posts, read 13,090,552 times
Reputation: 1605
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
All three were originally Wolfe's I believe. Then Callaway's and now Arbolito's.
Wow, really? I went to a Callaway's going-out-of business sale earlier this summer, on the NW side. Again, not sure where, somewhere in the vicinity of I-10 and Huebner because I was on the way to my bank (USAA) when I spotted the sale signs.

Anyway, I was NOT impressed. "Sale" prices were higher than other place's regular prices. I bought some 4" mint plants and that was it. I wonder if it is now an Arbolito's?

Good grief, I could spend SOOOOO much money on plants. It's crazy.

As for the Esperanza; that's what I don't get. Everyone else (and their dog) has one or two that are huge, constantly in full bloom, and ignored. I ignore mine and it stays healthy (green) but blooms half-azz. I don't get it. I'm in the learning process for all of this and I get so confused sometimes!!

Anyone know how fast they grow? Mine was kinda big when I got it (it was a present).. I've started babies from seed, 2 or 3, and they are sooo tiny. Just wondering if they'll be decently fast growers or not... I saw a house today with about seven or eight, all in a row, each at least 6 feet tall, along a fence line dividing between two houses. Gorgeous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2008, 07:29 PM
 
Location: South Central Texas
114,159 posts, read 53,997,969 times
Reputation: 163207
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
Wow, really? I went to a Callaway's going-out-of business sale earlier this summer, on the NW side. Again, not sure where, somewhere in the vicinity of I-10 and Huebner because I was on the way to my bank (USAA) when I spotted the sale signs.

Anyway, I was NOT impressed. "Sale" prices were higher than other place's regular prices. I bought some 4" mint plants and that was it. I wonder if it is now an Arbolito's?

Good grief, I could spend SOOOOO much money on plants. It's crazy.

As for the Esperanza; that's what I don't get. Everyone else (and their dog) has one or two that are huge, constantly in full bloom, and ignored. I ignore mine and it stays healthy (green) but blooms half-azz. I don't get it. I'm in the learning process for all of this and I get so confused sometimes!!

Anyone know how fast they grow? Mine was kinda big when I got it (it was a present).. I've started babies from seed, 2 or 3, and they are sooo tiny. Just wondering if they'll be decently fast growers or not... I saw a house today with about seven or eight, all in a row, each at least 6 feet tall, along a fence line dividing between two houses. Gorgeous.
That may be one that remained a Callaway's. The ones that Arbolito's took over were done 4or 5 years ago at least. Yes, Esperanza's are almost weed like. In fact a guy at Arbolito's told me that 2-3 years back. I got some cuban oregano there about 3 years back. Think last winter got 'em.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2008, 08:03 PM
 
4,268 posts, read 8,355,101 times
Reputation: 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
I'm not arguing because I am a TOTAL newbie when it comes to plants.. (I didn't have any interest in any of it until we bought our house last year)... but I have been perplexed by the lack of blooms on my Esperanza. I even posted about it here on the Garden forum on CD...

Anyway, I was following the advice I'd found by reading various websites about this plant and I did pull off all the seed pods (and saved the seeds for later, btw, there are TONS in each pod)... but they weren't blooming heavily like others I see around town. Well, it's only been since the most recent heavy rains that it's started to bloom like MAD.. so I can't help but wonder if they need more water than I'd been lead to believe?? I was watering when the ground felt dry when I stuck my finger all the way in the surrounding dirt, or when it looked "droopy"... which came out to be once a week, sometimes once every 10 days or so. The plant was blooming only sporadically, then we had all this rain, and I worried it would not respond well, but it went nuts and is full of color!

I wish I knew exactly how much water was "too much" or "not enough".
I know nothing about these, didn't even realize that's what I had - it was the only plant that was just growing and blooming like crazy along my walkway. I actually watered in pretty frequently (like every couple of days), because I had a bunch of newly planted things there. And like I said, it's growing and blooming like mad. I'm going to have to transplant it because I don't want tall plants there.

(btw - my watering is probably less than some, as I use a pitcher. The water is almost always the a/c run-off water)

My guess is it does fine without water - in that it stays green and survives - but like the crepe myrtles, give it water and the blooms go nuts. My crepe myrtles are also going a bit crazy with the blooms, now that they're getting water from the grass watering..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top