U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 01:59 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,866,750 times

Advertisements

Forget about the attitude differences, geez. Why doesn't San Antonio have stores up to the Austin quality?

That's my core issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 02:41 PM

83 posts, read 217,372 times
maybe if you stop worrying about other people and go grocery shopping with a smile on your face you will realize that people are just doing there daily chores and are just as friendly as people anywhere, and im sorry to say but it seems very rude and judgmental to call women trophy wives etc.. just because you have decided to assume you know a persons views, interests, and whole life story based on stereotypes you probably heard from someone else. i remember shopping at central market with my mom when i was younger and i surely hope no one cast there condescending eyes upon us when we were merely having a good time getting or fresh and organic produce and goods.

Old 08-29-2008, 02:48 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,814 posts, read 33,121,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEM-Texas View Post
Forget about the attitude differences, geez. Why doesn't San Antonio have stores up to the Austin quality?

That's my core issue.
I believe it's because Central Market already has the prepared food market sewn up for the area it shares with Whole Foods. CM has the vast selection of prepared food that you fault WF for not having.

Quote:
Any chance we could get some nicer stores, maybe up on 1604 and away from the class oppressors of Alamo Heights?
Have you checked out the HEB Plus at Blanco and 1604? It has a lot of prepared food and salads. As has been discussed here several times before, the HEB Plus stores being built at Evans/281 and Alon Towne Center are rumored to be more upscale and have a similar focus on those things.

Old 08-29-2008, 04:03 PM

490 posts, read 968,837 times
Quote:

That's my core issue.

Central Market and Whole Foods both started in Austin. They will naturally have the flagship stores. Aside from the outdoor restaurant at the Central Market on Lamar, I don't see much difference between that store and the Alamo Heights one.

Old 08-29-2008, 04:10 PM

824 posts, read 1,601,344 times
Quote:
My purpose was not to bash Alamo Heights but to discuss the quality of the stores. The comment was to speculate that the demographics of the area perhaps contributed to their limited selections.

I just want some better stores with good stuff and happy people. If Alamo Heights bashing is a sport on the forum, I have better things to do.

I want better cheese! Better take out! That's it.
Just so I'm clear.............your "purpose was not to bash Alamo Heights"......even though your original post refers to the "class oppressors of Alamo Heights".........right..........anyway..........

SA's cheese selection isn't up to your standards? Let's see if this helps:

The cheese selection in Austin is better than in SA.
The cheese selection in Washington D.C. is better than in Austin.
The cheese selection in NYC is better than in Washington D.C.
The cheese selection in Paris is better than in NYC.

See how this works? The "cheese selection" (or "nicer stores", or "nightlife", or "art museums", or "restaurants", or "whatever I think is inadequate") in another city will almost always be superior to SA's (Tex-Mex & Conjunto notwithstanding). I'm not going to blindly defend SA by insisting otherwise. Hell, I wish we had better cheese (and lots of other things) in this town!

But the steady complaining from folks like you (about whatever SA shortcoming you've noticed lately) is exhausting! If you need better "cheese selection" to be happy, you should go to a city that offers that. Or, even better, stay here and open up your own cheese shop (I'd be first in line to support your business!).

Point being: no place is perfect. Austin may have better Whole Foods & Central Markets, but on the whole, it's a much more expensive place to buy a house. And traffic is terrible. Etc, etc, etc.

Oh - and the reason that there's not a Central Market "up on 1604" is because the demographics won't currently support it. So........despite your dislike of the "class oppressors" of Alamo Heights........you should be grateful for them........otherwise..........your cheese selection in the whole city would consist mostly of Velveeta blocks and pre-shredded bags of cheddar & mozzerella.

Last edited by dvlpr; 08-29-2008 at 04:19 PM..

Old 08-29-2008, 04:24 PM

3,219 posts, read 7,987,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvlpr View Post
Just so I'm clear.............your "purpose was not to bash Alamo Heights"......even though your original post refers to the "class oppressors of Alamo Heights".........right..........anyway..........

SA's cheese selection isn't up to your standards? Let's see if this helps:

The cheese selection in Austin is better than in SA.
The cheese selection in Washington D.C. is better than in Austin.
The cheese selection in NYC is better than in Washington D.C.
The cheese selection in Paris is better than in NYC.

See how this works? The "cheese selection" (or "nicer stores", or "nightlife", or "art museums", or "restaurants", or "whatever I think is inadequate") in another city will almost always be superior to SA's (Tex-Mex & Conjunto notwithstanding). I'm not going to blindly defend SA by insisting otherwise. Hell, I wish we had better cheese (and lots of other things) in this town!

But the steady complaining from folks like you (about whatever SA shortcoming you've noticed lately) is exhausting! If you need better "cheese selection" to be happy, you should go to a city that offers that. Or, even better, stay here and open up your own cheese shop (I'd be first in line to support your business!).

Point being: no place is perfect. Austin may have better Whole Foods & Central Markets, but on the whole, it's a much more expensive place to buy a house. And traffic is terrible. Etc, etc, etc.

Oh - and the reason that there's not a Central Market "up on 1604" is because the demographics won't currently support it. So........despite your dislike of the "class oppressors" of Alamo Heights........you should be grateful for them........otherwise..........your cheese selection in the whole city would consist mostly of Velveeta blocks and pre-shredded bags of cheddar & mozzerella.

I have to agree with my fellow blogger-why does Austin have a better stores than SA. Why does Austin building more hirise condos's downtown than SA.
There is not a doubt that San Antonio North Central and the Rim area could support two Central Markets. The real core question is why SA is getting a shaft

Old 09-02-2008, 09:59 AM

1,413 posts, read 1,866,750 times
Some folks need to get a life. As far as my comment on social class - perhaps I was too harsh on the amusing denizens of Alamo Heights who shop at Central Market. However, I think I will stick by them. Attitudinally, quite the stuck up bunch.

Back into the fray with two incidents.

1. At the check out, a yuppified gentlemen, probably about 30, has the check out kid carry one bag to his Hummer for him. Needed or just showing class dominance.

2. At the check out over by the veggies, jewel dripping but wrinkled matron has one of those little carts - wheels up to the register, checks out and leaves her cart blocking the register. Doesn't take it away - that's a job of the serf.

Two incidents aren't a sociological study - but it's fairly typical of the joint.

If you go nuts and tell someone to move because they think another store has a better selection of items, then you need a reality check on your blind love of the homeland. Also, if you are stuck up person - read the sonnet Ozymandias again and realize that we all go to dust.

But we strayed afar from the topic. Mediocre store and evil attitude of some customers.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:30 AM

164 posts, read 504,335 times
I think the term "class-oppressors" is HILLARIOUS! I gotta bite that one...

Anyways, I started a "Whole Foods Rant" post a while ago that no-one responded to. But I wholeheartedly agree with those sentiments. For the size of this city, our Whole Foods is awful (I made that original post after spending a week in the little town of Santa Fe which has a FAR superior WF to ours).

I've written Whole Foods about all the problems I've had there...and never seen much of a response, so now we only shop there for things that they carry that we can't get anywhere else (mostly cosmetics and vitamins and fish).

I will say that our Central Market is pretty good compared with the other CM's I've visited in TX. The only problem with that chain is that they're unabashedly "not-green" ie: they make you bag every item, their brown bags don't say "please recycle me."

I'll try and bump that rant...just for grins.

Old 09-02-2008, 12:34 PM

944 posts, read 2,801,645 times
I do think that the Austin Central Market has a lot more items and is much larger, kiddie park aside. I don't think that there's an intention to withhold anything from San Antonio shoppers. It's all marketing. I would suspect they found out that SA shoppers have less eclectic tastes so all of that stuff you find in the Houston, Dallas and Ausin stores would not sell here. As for cheese, go to the H.E.B. on Basse Rd. in the somewhat upscale Lincoln Heights area and tell me how many brands of cheese you can find. The answer will astound you. (Hint: it's a very low number. I counted two, and one other brand in the "specialty" case at the front of the store.) People in other cities would riot, but people here are just "I love my HEB!" In SA it's simple thinking, simple choices, simple way of life. Not so good for me because I like choices, but it seems to work for most people here.

Old 09-02-2008, 04:42 PM

824 posts, read 1,601,344 times
Quote:
Some folks need to get a life. As far as my comment on social class - perhaps I was too harsh on the amusing denizens of Alamo Heights who shop at Central Market. However, I think I will stick by them. Attitudinally, quite the stuck up bunch.

Back into the fray with two incidents.

1. At the check out, a yuppified gentlemen, probably about 30, has the check out kid carry one bag to his Hummer for him. Needed or just showing class dominance.

2. At the check out over by the veggies, jewel dripping but wrinkled matron has one of those little carts - wheels up to the register, checks out and leaves her cart blocking the register. Doesn't take it away - that's a job of the serf.

Two incidents aren't a sociological study - but it's fairly typical of the joint.

If you go nuts and tell someone to move because they think another store has a better selection of items, then you need a reality check on your blind love of the homeland. Also, if you are stuck up person - read the sonnet Ozymandias again and realize that we all go to dust.

But we strayed afar from the topic. Mediocre store and evil attitude of some customers.
I'm guessing I'm one of the people that "needs to get a life".

To address your fascinating topic directly:

MEDIOCRE STORE: Our C.M. is better than the Dallas, Southlake, and Houston-Weisteimer locations, and is an outstanding grocery store by any reasonable standard. Maybe it's not as good as Austin's stores (although I've never thought the South Austin store was superior to the SA store), but to call it mediocre is just intellectually dishonest.

EVIL ATTITUDE OF SOME CUSTOMERS: Yes, I've seen "yuppiefied gentlemen" and "wrinkled matrons" at the CM. I've also seen them at LaCantera, at The Rim, at Stone Oak, etc. And if you think AH people are "class-oppressors", spend some time in Highland Park, Westlake, or River Oaks.

If it makes you feel better, then, by all means, continue to whine about our Central Market/Whole Foods, and Alamo Heights, and any other perceived injustices in SA. You'll always have plenty to be angry about.

I will choose to enjoy the (many) good things about SA, and work to change the things I dislike, and support the efforts of like-minded people who are trying to do the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio