Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 09:37 PM

2,216 posts, read 4,539,668 times

Advertisements

News : Northside receives $5.4 million for teacher incentive grants : Northside Independent School District - San Antonio, TX 78238

Since it is only certain schools it appears to be something to help improve test scores........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2008, 07:31 AM

545 posts, read 2,283,432 times
It's actually not to help improve scores...it's more of a reward if test scores improve.

I don't know how NISD decided which schools would be eligible for the stipends, but in the district I work in, the staff at each campus had to decide if they would participate in the program, and how the stipends would be distributed.

In some cases, it's caused hard feelings because people felt like they were left out or not given a fair share despite the work they did with the students. I'm not going to go into any more detail than that because we know how the media reads this forum and I don't need the Troublemakers traipsing into the front office and making our district look bad.

Just know that a lot of educators feel like these stipends to reward good test scores are a terrible way to 'rate' teachers. What happens if the campus (usually principal or counselors) decide to give one teacher a bunch of low performing students and another teacher a bunch of AP/Honors classes? Who do you think is going to have the better test scores? Is that really fair?

Old 08-31-2008, 07:38 AM

64 posts, read 280,845 times
If you notice the list of schools on the article, they are mostly schools that need improving test scores or are in "not desirable teaching areas". A lot of the schools mentioned were recognized last year, so are just in not desirable teaching area. I think it is a great incentive for teachers. They already work really hard to improve test scores, so why not compensate them for it. It does cause hard feelings when certain teachers get more than others. But usually (or from what I have seen) it is more by the grades you teach (meaning the TAKS grades versus none TAKS grades).

Overall it is a good thing, teachers and staff just need to be more appreciative of getting anything rather than nothing!

Old 08-31-2008, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR Newbie View Post
If you notice the list of schools on the article, they are mostly schools that need improving test scores or are in "not desirable teaching areas". A lot of the schools mentioned were recognized last year, so are just in not desirable teaching area. I think it is a great incentive for teachers. They already work really hard to improve test scores, so why not compensate them for it. It does cause hard feelings when certain teachers get more than others. But usually (or from what I have seen) it is more by the grades you teach (meaning the TAKS grades versus none TAKS grades).

Overall it is a good thing, teachers and staff just need to be more appreciative of getting anything rather than nothing!
OK...so let's talk about how fair it is for "non-TAKS" teachers to get less...

Even though a first grade teacher doesn't have to worry about the TAKS test, they do have to worry about teaching kids how to read and write. If the students don't get a good foundation in reading and writing in the early grades, they'll never do well on a test at third grade where reading is a major component, or on the writing test in fourth grade. Is it fair, then, for the first grade teacher to get less of a stipend simply because her students don't have to take the TAKS test?

What about the sixth grade social studies teacher whose students don't take a Social Studies TAKS, but gives his students a solid understanding of world cultures which those students still remember when they take the 8th grade Social Studies TAKS, which covers material from 6-8th grade?

And I don't think that teachers aren't appreciative...they just want it to be fair, and basing stipends on tests scores isn't any more fair than judging every single student by exactly the same test. It's all part of the bigger failure that is NCLB.

Old 08-31-2008, 08:23 AM

2,216 posts, read 4,539,668 times
Slaleman- I couldn't agree more with your comments. I too work for a different school district.
I noticed the article said some payouts could be $50.

Old 08-31-2008, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaleman View Post
OK...so let's talk about how fair it is for "non-TAKS" teachers to get less...

Even though a first grade teacher doesn't have to worry about the TAKS test, they do have to worry about teaching kids how to read and write. If the students don't get a good foundation in reading and writing in the early grades, they'll never do well on a test at third grade where reading is a major component, or on the writing test in fourth grade. Is it fair, then, for the first grade teacher to get less of a stipend simply because her students don't have to take the TAKS test?

What about the sixth grade social studies teacher whose students don't take a Social Studies TAKS, but gives his students a solid understanding of world cultures which those students still remember when they take the 8th grade Social Studies TAKS, which covers material from 6-8th grade?

And I don't think that teachers aren't appreciative...they just want it to be fair, and basing stipends on tests scores isn't any more fair than judging every single student by exactly the same test. It's all part of the bigger failure that is NCLB.
Oh I agree with you. Just because you teach 2nd grade, doesn't mean you do not help that 3rd grader pass their TAKS test in a prior year of teaching. And yes, teachers are non-appreciative and get jealous of this grant. It is normal too though. It is overall not fair, but life is not fair. I always say be appreciative of what you get and not be jealous of what you do not have. Just makes you a negative person. Life is too short. Blunt, but true...

Old 08-31-2008, 09:42 AM

89 posts, read 258,868 times
Here is my opinion: Teachers often have a choice of what content or grade level they teach. So, if they are in a non-TAKS tested area or grade level and are jealous of not getting incentive money...then all they have to do is CHANGE grade levels (within their certification, of course). Some teachers do not want the "stress" that often accompanies teaching at a TAKS-tested grade level. Others thrive on that added pressure.

This incentive pay is an excellent way to recognize those teachers working against some pretty overwhelming odds in economically-disadvantaged areas. For anyone to say the grant is just being used to raise TAKS scores, they forget that the general public often judges schools, even those dealing with high pockets of poverty, solely on the basis of TAKS scores and TEA ratings. With a general public that passes judgement on schools based on "scores" what other options does the state or local districts have except to channel these funds to those lower-income schools.

Old 08-31-2008, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxSpark View Post
Here is my opinion: Teachers often have a choice of what content or grade level they teach. So, if they are in a non-TAKS tested area or grade level and are jealous of not getting incentive money...then all they have to do is CHANGE grade levels (within their certification, of course). Some teachers do not want the "stress" that often accompanies teaching at a TAKS-tested grade level. Others thrive on that added pressure.

This incentive pay is an excellent way to recognize those teachers working against some pretty overwhelming odds in economically-disadvantaged areas. For anyone to say the grant is just being used to raise TAKS scores, they forget that the general public often judges schools, even those dealing with high pockets of poverty, solely on the basis of TAKS scores and TEA ratings. With a general public that passes judgement on schools based on "scores" what other options does the state or local districts have except to channel these funds to those lower-income schools.
Right on TxSpark!!!

Old 08-31-2008, 10:47 AM

57 posts, read 158,965 times
Since we're on the topic of rewarding teachers, I think the teachers that teach in the less-desirable areas/districts should get more pay or some type of stipend for all the challenges they face. They have many more issues to deal with than just teaching. Kudos to all teachers, but especially to those who work in these districts!

Old 08-31-2008, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxSpark View Post
Right...have you been paying attentions to the job-seeking threads here? It's hard enough to GET a job around here, let alone trying to hand pick a grade level. I'll admit that at the secondary level, it's a little easier to choose a subject area that isn't tested every year (science, social studies) but a teacher for the most part, can't just walk into the principal at the beginning of a school year and say "You know, I'd really like to teach X grade this year."

Quote:
In NISD, it's being used in low socio-economic schools, but the grant is available to districts all over the state, regardless of socio-economic status. Like I said before, in our district, it was left up to the individual campuses whether they would participate or not.

http://www.tea.state.tx.us/taa/discgrant092107_1.htm

And as for the general public and the state judging schools by test scores, I'll say this again too: it's yet another failure of No Child Left Behind. State and national accountability ratings should be based on something other than a single test score, but no one in government knows enough about education to come up with a better plan. Either that, or they're just too lazy to come up with something that might actually take a little work.

Last edited by slaleman; 08-31-2008 at 11:44 AM.. Reason: added link to TEA's description of the grant
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio