Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2007, 10:42 PM

5 posts, read 15,042 times

Advertisements

I'm a letter carrier in Newark NJ and am seriously considering a move to either Austin or San Antonio.
I am 36,married (I am white,wife is black),no kids,looking for lower cost of living,nicer weather,home with more than 1/10th of an acre of land.
Just had a few questions I hope can be answered on this site.
1.Anyone out there who transferred with the postal service?
2.Can anyone reccommend what suburban towns have larger post offices (more than 20 routes)?
3.Are the routes mainly mounted or do you walk from house to house?
That's all I can think of right now.I would appreciate any advise from anyone,postal or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2007, 11:42 PM

1,722 posts, read 2,218,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean7276 View Post
I'm a letter carrier in Newark NJ and am seriously considering a move to either Austin or San Antonio.
I am 36,married (I am white,wife is black),no kids,looking for lower cost of living,nicer weather,home with more than 1/10th of an acre of land.
2.Can anyone reccommend what suburban towns have larger post offices (more than 20 routes)?
That's all I can think of right now.I would appreciate any advise from anyone,postal or not.
I can't honestly answer any of your questions (1-3) hopefully someone here can.

As for your requests (lower cost of living, nicer weather, land size) SA has all that and then some.

Cheapest housing costs of all Texas large metro areas.

Weather is good nice but can get hot in the summer but if you're moving to Texas, that's basically unavoidable. You'll grow to tolerate it.

Depending where you buy, you can get a lot of land for your buck.

Old 01-29-2007, 05:47 AM

3,823 posts, read 14,621,068 times
Quote:
I do not know how the Post Office handles transfers. Is it the same as when you start with them as a "fill in" until a route opens? If so, I would guess you would get tenure on that list.

I don't know about the inner city, but in the burbs all I have seen are mounted letter carriers. The older subdivisions (more than 10 years old) have individual mail boxes for each house while the newer ones have central cluster mail boxes located in different areas of the subdivision. This is a generalization, but you best bet is to contact the local Post Office HQ here in San Antonio.

Old 02-01-2007, 08:56 AM

905 posts, read 2,946,245 times
Quote:

I'm sure you will find the cost of living down here much lower that in NJ. There is an abundance of housing, anywhere from estate sized lots to lots with zero property lines. If you can get a transfer, look for a house in an area that appeals to you, not necessarily near where you work, since that may change.

1. Getting a transfer w/ the USPS involves lots of rules. Check to see what they are. I doubt you will find anyone that wants to do an even transfer from here to NJ, so you will most likely end up at the bottom of the seniority list or on the un-assigned regular list, depending on what is available. As you may already know, that means working a week-to-week schedule with odd work hours or odd days off. Check with your local union officials to see if they have connections down here that may be able to help you.

2. Try Helotes, TX. I hear that that PO is a good place to work. Also, New Braunfels isn't too far away. The local letter carriers union here may be able to help you. I think that most of the smaller cities combined with the San Antonio Local to make one big union. Could be wrong, though.

3. Most of the new housing has the collection boxes. Our neighborhood is older and we have mounted routes. I think that the even older neighborhoods still have walking routes.

Good luck!

Old 02-03-2007, 02:43 PM

2 posts, read 9,351 times
Quote:

Hi Dean7276. I too am a postal employee trying to transfer to Texas. If you go to postalemployeenetwork.com they have mutual transfer sites for city carriers, rural carriers and clerks. Also postalmag.com. You can also put in a request for reassignment on ereassign. Hope that helps and good luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio