Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 12:18 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,294,082 times

Advertisements

Are there any parks in town with water features that kids could actually play in?

I was just thinking, how awesome would it be if there were sprinkler/fountains around town in the parks that a kid could walk/run through and cool off. Not pools or any of that, just water spraying from the ground or up above (shower style)... I'm sure they could recycle the water easily enough. Something like the fountains @ Main Plaza, that come out of the ground with no raised area, just flat and level with the rest of the park.. I've seen kids walk around near the water there but I don't think it's "allowed" to actually get close to the spray.

It's so darn hot, it just seems like it would make sense. Misting hoses even.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2008, 12:34 PM

3,722 posts, read 4,308,960 times
I see all sorts of health and safety concerns with that one.

Old 08-31-2008, 12:37 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
There are "interactive fountains" like you describe planned for Voelcker Park (http://www.voelckerparksa.com/home/ - broken link). You'll have to wait a few years until the city finds the money to build that feature.

Old 08-31-2008, 01:19 PM

Well, apparently the Main Plaza fountains are referred to as "interactive fountains" after all...? Maybe people don't KNOW they can actually get "in" the water. Isn't' the water recycled? I would assume so...from what I've read of these in other cities, it is recycled and treated and tested regularly.

Other cities have them, they're also called "zero-depth pools", apparently:

City of Wichita - Park Facilities Fountains - Interactive

Despite drought, Centennial park fountain gets pass | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/atlanta/stories/2008/04/11/fountain_0412.html - broken link)

City of Chattanooga

Do a water dance at the Dreher Park Zoo's fountain -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

SA is hot. Seems like a no-brainer to me, and a supplement to the city pools which are HORRIBLY overcrowded all summer (we won't go, just not enough personal space!)...

Even something like the wading area at Landa park would be awesome.

I don't know, I just think that many (most?) SA parks leave a lot to be desired. The play areas are mediocre, and so many are completely lacking in shade. Seguin has a nice park. Brack is shady. Mac Arthur park is shady. I see many others that are small and hot and crappy though.... just IMO. The one nearest us is right by OLLU, and it's in blazing sun and very small.... the one across from Market Square is pretty and shaded though.

Old 08-31-2008, 01:56 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,554,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
Are there any parks in town with water features that kids could actually play in?

I was just thinking, how awesome would it be if there were sprinkler/fountains around town in the parks that a kid could walk/run through and cool off. Not pools or any of that, just water spraying from the ground or up above (shower style)... I'm sure they could recycle the water easily enough. Something like the fountains @ Main Plaza, that come out of the ground with no raised area, just flat and level with the rest of the park.. I've seen kids walk around near the water there but I don't think it's "allowed" to actually get close to the spray.

It's so darn hot, it just seems like it would make sense. Misting hoses even.
Kids can play in the fountains at Main Plaza - at least they do and no one says anything!

Hemisfair park has fountains that spray down. They can play in them, they just can't wade into the pools.

Old 08-31-2008, 02:52 PM

824 posts, read 1,815,907 times
It's not a city park, but ChrisPark (across from the Camp Street Lofts) is open to the public, and has the type of fountain you've described. I see kids playing there all the time.

These fountains are great, but they're ridiculously expensive.

Old 08-31-2008, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Kids can play in the fountains at Main Plaza - at least they do and no one says anything!

Hemisfair park has fountains that spray down. They can play in them, they just can't wade into the pools.
Wow, who knew. I worked across from Main Plaza and never saw kids but perhaps it was the newness (after it was re-opened) or the hours I was working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvlpr View Post
It's not a city park, but ChrisPark (across from the Camp Street Lofts) is open to the public, and has the type of fountain you've described. I see kids playing there all the time.

I have no clue where that is. Guess I should Google it.

Old 08-31-2008, 10:35 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,834,574 times
Park Inventory - San Antonio Parks and Recreation Department

complete list of all SA parks, dont see any fountains available for Playing in. Couple pools, fishing, duck ponds

Old 09-01-2008, 09:42 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvlpr View Post
Apparently not as expensive as pools. That's why the city's planning those for Voelcker Park instead of another city pool.

Old 09-01-2008, 12:00 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,554,543 times
Quote:
Wow, who knew. I worked across from Main Plaza and never saw kids but perhaps it was the newness (after it was re-opened) or the hours I was working.
Well, I wouldn't expect a lot of kids during the week, but when we've been there on weekends there are tons of kids.
For awhile they were doing a puppet show at 10AM on Saturday mornings as well, but that may be over.

Quote:
I have no clue where that is. Guess I should Google it.
Across from the city's development office or the One Stop, which is on S. Alamo and S. FLores. Chris Park is on the block just north of there. It's a privately established park designed (or donated) by Linda Pace in honour of her son Chris. It's open to the public.
Chris Park a place of beauty, contemplation and joy a rhythmic layout of lush foliage, inviting walkways, areas of repose, sites of play, and encounters with contemporary art.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio