U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 06:19 PM

2,745 posts, read 13,093,030 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to figure out what kind of ants these are to know how to make them go away or die....

We have a new kitten that is my son's, and we set up a 'room' for it which is basically his closet (wider than it is deep) with a large board across it to keep her confined when we aren't right there to watch her. She can't have the roam of the house yet, she's too tiny and one of my dogs looks at her like she's lunch... so she needs to stay in my son's room.

The problem is, within the past 2 days we've seen ants on her food bowl after we give her canned food. She has dry food that stays down 24/7 and he gives her a little bit of canned food 3 or 4x a day, and when he goes to clean out the dish he'll see ants. One of them bit him and it hurt quite a bit, so I am worried that they could be fire ants? I have been bit by similar looking ants outside (a couple days ago in fact) and it hurt like Hades. They are small and reddish brown.

We can't figure out where they're getting in, either but they are only in her "room" (the closet), not anywhere else in my son's room. I really could use some help in getting them to go away, die, whatever, but I cannot use pesticides around the kitten or anything else that could hurt her. Any tips?

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 06:24 PM

14,613 posts, read 31,142,856 times
I would just skip the canned food, if the ants are leaving the dry food alone.

Old 09-01-2008, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
I would just skip the canned food, if the ants are leaving the dry food alone.
Well she's still pretty little, she came from a stray that gave birth in my car and the babies ended up having to be bottle fed. She's just under 8 weeks. I guess we could discontinue the canned, or give it to her somewhere else in the house... but the ants are in her "room" still... and I don't know if they'll go away if we stop feeding her the canned food in there or not.

Haven't noticed them in the dry food or her water dish though so maybe that will work.

Old 09-01-2008, 06:37 PM

14,613 posts, read 31,142,856 times
Oh.....what if you moved her into the kitchen or some other room while she's eating the wet food? Mr. Doggie is going to have to get used to the fact that she's not "lunch" and the sooner the better. Of course, you would have to protect her now, but start getting the dog used to the fact that you are now owned by a cat. You have become staff, and he's going to have to be trained as well.

Old 09-01-2008, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Oh.....what if you moved her into the kitchen or some other room while she's eating the wet food? Mr. Doggie is going to have to get used to the fact that she's not "lunch" and the sooner the better. Of course, you would have to protect her now, but start getting the dog used to the fact that you are now owned by a cat. You have become staff, and he's going to have to be trained as well.
Yeah I think we're going to just feed her elsewhere, but I hope the ants will now retreat on their own.

We have 2 other cats but they're full grown, fast, and they stay "high" because he chases them. They're also indoor/outdoor cats and they come and go as they please (in and out), but are outside a lot, I don't think they like the temp in here (I am part reptile). So, he was raised around them (they're about 6 and 8, the cats, and he is about 2)... but he thinks he's the S**T... more of a s**t head really. He's got that little dog syndrome.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:35 PM

4,796 posts, read 13,712,616 times
Terro is the best ant killer that you can buy. It's basically borax and karo syrup.
It's sold at HEB. Check out the different types of traps. Ants will eat it and take it back to the queen.....they'll be gone in less than two weeks.

WARNING....borax is poisonous to pets and children, so make sure it's in a place kitty can't get to it. IE...put the trap in the closet and then put a laundry basket or veggie steamer weighted down with something heavy. I don't know how old your son is...but make sure he doesn't mess with it. As long as it's not ingested is about as safe of a pesticide as you can get....no oder etc.

As a life long kitty person, 8 weeks is old enough to ween her off the wet stuff. You could try the "tender" stuff....but a good brand of "kitten formula" dry food is a healthy diet with fresh water daily. Some vets might recommend vitamins, but my kitties have always ended up being round and happy and healthy.
Just keep an eye on the dry food. Some ants like it too.

Sugar ants sting as well...and thats probably what you have.

Good luck!

Old 09-01-2008, 08:43 PM

3,823 posts, read 13,348,256 times
From your description, I would say you have fire ants. Our house was vacant several months before we bought it and I was bit by a fire ant the first week upstairs. Go around the house and look for a mound next to the foundation and fire ants going in through a weep hole or mortar crack. Spray that mound with poison (Raid will do) and all your weep holes/mortar cracks. Then trace the ants back to the wallboard where they came in and spray Raid.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:43 PM

FF...ironically this topic came up again today in a discussion. There was a lot of question about how to tell Fire Ants from others. We found this article from the University of Texas. It almost seems irrelevant after reading this because the same treatment seems to apply.

It's a long article.....but you'll find a safe way to treat them in item #40....similar to "Terro" or a homemade borax mix. Respectfully to Steelman, pesticide sprays around a kitten would not be very healthful. It would be ok outside, but having ants indoors makes it hard to know their point of entry.

One interesting note....this remedy works on cockroaches too....and we know how much they LOVE SA.

Imported Fire Ant - FAQ

Old 09-02-2008, 09:39 PM

3,823 posts, read 13,348,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
FF...ironically this topic came up again today in a discussion. There was a lot of question about how to tell Fire Ants from others. We found this article from the University of Texas. It almost seems irrelevant after reading this because the same treatment seems to apply.

It's a long article.....but you'll find a safe way to treat them in item #40....similar to "Terro" or a homemade borax mix. Respectfully to Steelman, pesticide sprays around a kitten would not be very healthful. It would be ok outside, but having ants indoors makes it hard to know their point of entry.

One interesting note....this remedy works on cockroaches too....and we know how much they LOVE SA.

Imported Fire Ant - FAQ

To each their own...btw...we have a cat (formerly kitten) and has been very healthy for many years. We remove the cat until after the spray drys. You can also use bait, but slower. At least with fire ants they follow a trail and I've always been able to find the point of entry by following the ants (three times in 7 years).

Old 09-03-2008, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
To each their own...btw...we have a cat (formerly kitten) and has been very healthy for many years. We remove the cat until after the spray drys. You can also use bait, but slower. At least with fire ants they follow a trail and I've always been able to find the point of entry by following the ants (three times in 7 years).
No problem SM....not knowing FF's exact situation, she can decide what works best for her. I only added the link because an acquaintance brought this up and was discussing how to even determine if they are fire ants. In my book it's not relevant since any of them are pests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio