Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 06:33 PM

10 posts, read 35,348 times

Advertisements

I havent been to a concert at the MUNICIPAL AUDITORIUM yet. Will someone tell me a good way to get there. I dont trust the maps on line, and with all the construction you just never know what your running in to here. Im coming from Nrth West SA from Bandera Rd and 410. Also, where is there a good place to park and does it cost? Are there places to eat there close by? Trying to get an idea of how much money to take with! Thanks to any one who replies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 08:08 PM

554 posts, read 2,306,283 times
Take 410 to I-10 East. Take the upper level when it splits. Exit Santa Rosa. Stay to the left and take the fork under I-35. Turn left on Martin.

Martin will curve to the right and turn into Pecan. Take Pecan to Navarro. Navarro is a 1-way street and you can only turn left. Turn on Navarro and then take the first right on Auditorium Circle (you'll actually pass Martin, but its a one way street to the left at that point). That is the street that municipal is on.

There is a surface lot at Navarro & Martin that probably has event parking. There are also a lot of meters in the area. There's also some surface lots near St. Mark's Episcopal church that will probably be open. I can't think of a public garage that is right around the area. But there are several garages near Houston & Navarro that are well within walking distance. You could also park at the El Tropicano Hotel, though the valet will be more than surface lots I'm sure.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:22 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,019,120 times
Parking--figure $10 or so........maybe a little more, maybe slightly less. We went to the Majestic a few weeks ago and paid $7 at a surface lot.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:10 PM

554 posts, read 2,306,283 times
Forgot about the restaurants question - there are a lot of restaurants on Houston street that are great that you could walk to. We love Yokonyu sushi. Citrus at the Hotel Valencia is also very good. Houston Street Bistro is nice as well. There is a big cluster of restaurants farther down Navarro toward Commerce street that you could also walk to. Or, you could take the trolley to southtown, eat, and then take it back to Municipal.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRose View Post
Take 410 to I-10 East. Take the upper level when it splits. Exit Santa Rosa. Stay to the left and take the fork under I-35. Turn left on Martin.

Martin will curve to the right and turn into Pecan. Take Pecan to Navarro. Navarro is a 1-way street and you can only turn left. Turn on Navarro and then take the first right on Auditorium Circle (you'll actually pass Martin, but its a one way street to the left at that point). That is the street that municipal is on.

There is a surface lot at Navarro & Martin that probably has event parking. There are also a lot of meters in the area. There's also some surface lots near St. Mark's Episcopal church that will probably be open. I can't think of a public garage that is right around the area. But there are several garages near Houston & Navarro that are well within walking distance. You could also park at the El Tropicano Hotel, though the valet will be more than surface lots I'm sure.
WOW TX ROSE, that sounds confusing! Is that the best way really? Ive only lived here 4 years now and I still have a hard time getting around. THe roads here are so bad and down town is confusing to me. I will try it! I dont like the 35 either,,, well nor the 410, its such chaos with all the construction! Are their places to eat right by the auditorium? Not sure how safe it is down ther either. How do concerts sound there? Oh and I have another question about lawn seats at Verizon, how are they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRose View Post
Forgot about the restaurants question - there are a lot of restaurants on Houston street that are great that you could walk to. We love Yokonyu sushi. Citrus at the Hotel Valencia is also very good. Houston Street Bistro is nice as well. There is a big cluster of restaurants farther down Navarro toward Commerce street that you could also walk to. Or, you could take the trolley to southtown, eat, and then take it back to Municipal.
Oh thanks, I guess Im just not secure in knowing the area enough to know how far to walk or about taking Trolleys and all that. The concert starts at 8, what time do you think we need to get there to park and then trolley or walk to go eat and get back in time? How far is Houston street from all that. I know the river walk is close, but I dont wanna be in the heat too much before the concert either, plus Im walking with an autistic man and just me, so I have to be careful of my sourroundings for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Parking--figure $10 or so........maybe a little more, maybe slightly less. We went to the Majestic a few weeks ago and paid $7 at a surface lot.
Thanks sapphire, terrible for a city to want business downtown and then such high charges for parking when gas is so high! Another reason I stay away from downtown! Beginning to feel like Im back in L A!

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 09-02-2008 at 12:09 AM.. Reason: Combining replies into one post... separate ones not needed

Old 09-01-2008, 09:21 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,019,120 times
Downtown is worth the price of admission, IMO. I love it down there, and don't go often enough. No, I don't want to live there, but it's great to visit--so much to see and do! And it's safe--yes, you hear about random crimes every now and again, but it's no D.C, Detroit, or New Orleans, that's for sure.

Don't knock it till you've tried it!

Old 09-01-2008, 09:35 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,552,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacharoo View Post
Thanks sapphire, terrible for a city to want business downtown and then such high charges for parking when gas is so high! Another reason I stay away from downtown! Beginning to feel like Im back in L A!
<steps on soapbox>

Have you BEEN to Chicago or DC? Seriously!!!!! One of my biggest pet peeves is people gripin' about parking prices here!!! When we stayed at a very nice place in DC, the price to park our vehicle in the hotel garage was $35 per night!!!! At the Drake in Chicago, it was well over $40 per night!!!! That was in ADDITION to the price for the room! 7 bucks for a surface lot is NOTHIN'!!!

<steps off soapbox>

Old 09-01-2008, 10:09 PM

Some of us are on budgets & like to watch the pennies. It may seem nothing to you but its a lot to me,, maybe its all in the mind and relative to how much you make. So for those of you who like to ***** about people that dont live within their means,, Im not one of them! So for me, if I say the price is too high its true for me,,maybe not you, but I cant compare to Chicago cause I cant afford to go their either! haha
So if thats complain'n them SO BE IT! I just love it when I get on a board to ask a question and get jumped on and bitched out and accused of something when YOU DONT EVEN KNOW ME OR MY SITUATION! Moderator cut: rude

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 09-04-2008 at 09:40 PM.. Reason: unnecessary

Old 09-01-2008, 10:21 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,552,553 times
Touche.

I done been told.

<tucks tail between legs and goes home>

Old 09-02-2008, 07:43 AM

824 posts, read 1,815,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacharoo View Post
Some of us are on budgets & like to watch the pennies. It may seem nothing to you but its a lot to me,, maybe its all in the mind and relative to how much you make. So for those of you who like to ***** about people that dont live within their means,, Im not one of them! So for me, if I say the price is too high its true for me,,maybe not you, but I cant compare to Chicago cause I cant afford to go their either! haha
So if thats complain'n them SO BE IT! I just love it when I get on a board to ask a question and get jumped on and bitched out and accused of something when YOU DONT EVEN KNOW ME OR MY SITUATION! Moderator cut: rude
Wow - what a pleasant response. If you can't afford $7 for parking, how are you going to afford the concert? Or a meal before-hand? Or the gas to get down there and back?

There are plenty of on-street parking spaces in the blocks just north of the Auditorium (on either side of Broadway, north of 4th St.). They are free after 7pm.

Of course, this involves walking a few blocks, and with your distrust of "maps on line" the journey could be perilous.....

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 09-04-2008 at 09:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio