Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 09:27 AM

2,359 posts, read 6,397,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolaisbk View Post
I had my first savings account through the school (Inez Foster) and San Antonio Savings Association "SASA" in McCreless Mall ~! 1960's.

Taco Hut had the best puffy tacos with guacamole.OMG!
Floyd's is still there. I drove by it the other day. I wonder if there are still any Shakey's Pizza places. LOL They were across from Floyd's.
Gonna Google Shakey's Pizza now
Yes Shakey's is still around, everytime I go to Los Angeles a trip to Shakey's is a must, they still look the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 09:32 AM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,706,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittykat13 View Post
McCreless Mall - I remember this mall-I really enjoyed shopping there as a kid. I remember my mom and I would go shopping to JC Penney, Fashion Conspiracy, Brooks, Lerners, Luby's, and Montgomery Wards. The Toy Box was a small store but lot's of fun to visit. I remember it located almost in the center of the mall. Zales Jewelers was another favorite.
Pic of banjo player at the Shakey's on Goliad Rd. Sometime in the 60's
Attached Thumbnails
Seeking pictures/postcards of McCreless Mall-shakeys.jpg  

Old 04-05-2011, 08:53 AM

1 posts, read 4,964 times
What memories at McCreless Mall. We lived on Kathy Dr. and my mom used to take us to the mall on Saturdays to buy some things. I remember going to Kress and loving the pet section, and also going to Handy Andy to buy groceries, then walking home. Lubys was the best there, and Montgomery Ward was pretty cool there, and for a kid the escalator was really something to look forward to. I then grew older and went to the mall on my own. I even got my first credit card at Gordon jewlers there, where I bought my first watch. I was one of the first kids to get in to the Cinema there at McCreless with my pal "Clint Coddington". I'll never forget watching "JAWS" there, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate factory was another great one at the time. Those were the good ol'days. We even climbed into the big "M" in front of the mall. WoW, talk about things we do when we are young. Anyway the memories there will always live in my heart.

Old 04-05-2011, 05:43 PM

2 posts, read 9,875 times
snappy Bob you are right on target. I knew the family as well. Twig lives in Austin. He owned Jakes Hamburgers in Dallas and sold them a few years back. Did very well for himself. One sister is in Seguin and the other is in Dallas. Would love to know who you are.....I am sure our paths crossed....did you live on Lilla Jean by McCreless?

Old 04-05-2011, 07:49 PM

2 posts, read 9,875 times
Actually Jake & Don Keller owned the Flame Drive In. I knew both families. Jake use to be with the San Antonio Police Dept and the State. Don came from Dallas where he worked for his father at the infamous "Keller's Drive In".

Old 04-06-2011, 02:50 AM

16 posts, read 48,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cirilo View Post
What memories at McCreless Mall. We lived on Kathy Dr. and my mom used to take us to the mall on Saturdays to buy some things. I remember going to Kress and loving the pet section, and also going to Handy Andy to buy groceries, then walking home. Lubys was the best there, and Montgomery Ward was pretty cool there, and for a kid the escalator was really something to look forward to. I then grew older and went to the mall on my own. I even got my first credit card at Gordon jewlers there, where I bought my first watch. I was one of the first kids to get in to the Cinema there at McCreless with my pal "Clint Coddington". I'll never forget watching "JAWS" there, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate factory was another great one at the time. Those were the good ol'days. We even climbed into the big "M" in front of the mall. WoW, talk about things we do when we are young. Anyway the memories there will always live in my heart.
I'm in my early 30's and both my husband and i were Born and raised here on the southeast side. It's actually pretty nice to see that so many people (seemingly of all ages and backgrounds) that share so many fond memories of McCreeles Mall and the surrounding area. I enjoy reading these posts from everyone who used to frequent the mall back then. Funny how i don't recall a Kress being there as a kid....might have not been there anymore. I do remember the Woolworths that was there though. I was really partial to that Lubys as well. I was a teenager in the 90's, was so funny how all the kids would go to the mall or movies then and just walk around, "hanging out" trying to get phone numbers. Wow....seems like ages ago.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:48 AM

568 posts, read 957,866 times
Dont forget the "Bonnie Macs". I was one of those. Taco Hut had the BEST puffy tacos anywhere. Luby's was still owned by Luby's. Those were the best years I can remember.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:50 AM

568 posts, read 957,866 times
Oh I forgot to mention the Audie & Joyce Salon. Really popular during the 60's.

Old 04-07-2011, 02:26 PM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,706,653 times
I don't think there was a Kress at McCreless Mall. Might be wrong tho. There was a Neisner's, Sommers Drug store, Woolworths among others. When the mall first opened, several of us kids would enter the mall by Handy Andy on bikes and ride through the mall and exit by JC Penney with security running after us. Of course, this was before they had the security guys on golf carts, scooters or trucks or two way radios.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:03 PM

2 posts, read 7,651 times
Default I worked at Shakeys when it opned

I worked at that Shakey's on Goliad Rd. when it opened. That is John Newman in that picture. Do you have any more pictures of Shakeys?
I have a picture of Johns son that worked for us at that time but I don't know how to upload a picture here. I just joined. I lived on upson rd. from 1950 to 1965. I enjoy this thread. I still live on the south side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio