U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 01:56 PM

86 posts, read 341,671 times

Advertisements

Goodness - a whole bowl of that green stuff?!!! Don't think I would try it LOL!
The Pan American was so good when it was still a little place - it changed and went downhill when they built the new, bigger place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2007, 03:02 PM

1,893 posts, read 4,879,719 times
>Goodness - a whole bowl of that green stuff?!!! Don't think I would try it LOL!<

No sane person would. Of course, this was probably 2 or 3 AM Sunday morning. I was just on the "Gone but not forgotten" thread and someone was talking about the First Mate fish places. I remember the one at Pecan Valley and Goliad. It was built like a replica of a shrimp boat. Some friends of mine got high one Saturday night and sneaked up behind the place in scuba gear and climbed aboard and went in and ordered fish. Unfortunatly I wasn't there for that one but everybody was talking about it for some time. I heard that the place was crowded and everybody freaked out.

Old 09-11-2007, 03:10 PM

I bet they were a sight!LOL I think there is still a little bit of the signpost there from First Mate-seems like the whole sign was there for a long time.

Old 09-11-2007, 03:26 PM

I pass by that intersection pretty frequently but I can't remember if that little piece of the sign is still there or not. I'll have to look next time I drive by there. It may have been taken down. The neighborhood is changing rapidly. Seems like the whole place is getting a face lift. I noticed a few months ago that there was a building in that same parking lot that was a big automated ice machine where you can fill up you ice chest. I haven't tried it yet but it seemed like a novel idea. That's the only one in town that I have noticed.

Old 09-12-2007, 12:30 PM

The Brooks City Base is great too! Lots of good stores and new restaurants in the area.

Did anyone used to go to the Frontier Dr. In and eat those great onion rings? and it was the place to drive through on Sat. nights to see "who" was there with who LOL!

Old 09-12-2007, 01:08 PM

87 posts, read 296,347 times
SnappyBob, the sign is still there, and I'm STILL trying to figure out how to rescue it; however, it would look suspicious being there at 2 AM trying to cut the pole down
The night clerk at 'Fina' would call the police on me. It also doesn't help that I live less than a mile from the place & everyone knows me, darn it.

Thanks soooo much for the pic of Little Mc! Now, if I can just get the folks at the Reporter to cough up some articles;my digging about the Highland Hills/Upton Heights area is beginning to get somewhere, but I need to fill in the holes.

Old 09-12-2007, 01:29 PM

Dementia, I just had idea. The other day I was driving down southcross by SE Baptist Hosp and noticed that on the north side of the street there was a lot that was going to be developed. It had a sign that said something like "A New McCreless Development" or something like that. 10 will get you 20 that it's the same McCreless family that helped build the SE side. My guess is it is Dr. McCreless who has an office near by. I'll bet they could probably get you copies of all kinds of pictures.

Speaking of pictures, a friend of mine said that he was in a real estate office over by the old Baskin and Robins at Southcross and Gevers (Bob Billa or Bob Burk) and they had a huge arial photo of the area as it was being developed. I think it was when Dollarhide was still Dollarhide Creek.

Have you tried to find out who owns that First Mate sign. They may not even know of it's historical significants and may let you just take it. You may have to sign a waiver to get them off the hook for any injuries incurred in the process.

Old 09-12-2007, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post
The Brooks City Base is great too! Lots of good stores and new restaurants in the area.

Did anyone used to go to the Frontier Dr. In and eat those great onion rings? and it was the place to drive through on Sat. nights to see "who" was there with who LOL!
Every Saturday night. We used to hang at the place across the street also "Two Bits". My ex used to barmaid there for awhile. We would go around and around Frontier until we got dizzy and then go over to the Flame Drive-In and do the same. Then back to going up and down Goliad Rd. Remember the "Bridge"? I think it was the IH37 bridge over the Medina River that was under construction at the time. Everybody would meet out there and party on weekend nights. Bon fires and Boones Farm and acoustic guitars. Those were the days my friends.

Old 09-12-2007, 02:04 PM

The Flame - yes we went there a lot too! I don't remember the Bridge, though. Must have been after my time LOL!

Do you remember when there was a swimming pool behind the bowling alley?: it was like a neighborhood pool you could join.

Old 09-12-2007, 02:07 PM

2,890 posts, read 4,355,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
I found the website on SA bands. He's the link
Mikes Band Archive - Texas Bands and Musician Trivia
That's a great link, thanks!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or