U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 07:53 AM

3,669 posts, read 5,897,807 times

Advertisements

Does anyone remember the Piggly Wiggly where HEB now is? There was also a little drug store in the corner where Whataburger now is. Also the original HEB was on Goliad near Fair.

My stepfather used to go to Connell Middle School when Mr Connell was still the principal. He said he used to play in the big empty field that later became McCreless mall.

Just a bunch of tidbits I guess. I remember once going into a storm drainage behind the old folks home on Fair. We took torches but they soon died out so we continued in the semi-dark until we came out somewhere by the Mission 6 drive in theater.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 08:22 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,176,830 times
Default 1962

Ad From 1962
Attached Thumbnails
Seeking pictures/postcards of McCreless Mall-mccreless.jpg  

Old 12-28-2007, 08:25 AM

1,893 posts, read 4,862,385 times
Yep, I remember all of those things. I went to Connell Junior High but Mr. Connell was no longer there. I did have him as a Principal in elementry school at Forbes Elementry. I believe that was his last teaching job before he retired. He was really a nice man and well like by all of the students and staff. Ask your step father if he remembers Kite Field. It is where the Home Depot is now at Fair Ave. and IH 37. In kite season the sky would be full of kites over that field. Lots of Kite fight competitions. We did the drainage tunnel thing too on bicycles with spotlights. That little strip center (Little McCreless) also was the home of Teen Town. That was really a blast.
Primo, where's your ad from 1962?

Old 01-02-2008, 04:33 PM

44 posts, read 168,648 times
Thanks for posting the 1962 ad, Primo.

A bit of trivia: Bob Durr, who is pictured along with Mr. McCreless, was Mr. McCreless' son-in-law. He was married to Grace Ann. Mrs. Durr was a member of the SAISD school board for MANY years, and was the president of the board for several, if memory serves correctly. Very nice, gracious lady. I believe she passed away in the early 90s.

Old 01-02-2008, 04:55 PM

3,669 posts, read 5,897,807 times
Yes, it was nice to see how some of the stores listed in the promo were there from beginning till end.

For extra trivia: The roof of Woolworths collapsed in 1973.

Quote:
Further, the majority relies on McCreless Properties, Ltd. v. F.W. Woolworth Co., 533 S.W.2d 863 (Tex. Civ. App.--San Antonio 1976, writ ref'd n.r.e.), as standing for the proposition that a claim for breach of contract based on a continuing duty to repair is not barred by the statute of limitations simply because the original leak occurred outside the statute. McCreless involved a breach of contract suit by a tenant against a landlord for the recovery of damages caused by a collapsed roof. Id. at 864. The roof originally began leaking in 1969; repairs were made; there was another leak in 1971; and suit was brought in 1973 after the roof collapsed. Id. at 865. McCreless, the landlord, argued that the suit should be barred by the four-year statute of limitations. Id. at 866. In holding that the claim was not barred by limitations, the San Antonio Court of Appeals relied on a jury finding that additional repairs were first needed in 1971. Id. at 867. The court noted that this finding was apparently based on the mutual belief by the parties that the repair efforts in 1969 were successful. Id.
[W] Cannon v. University Trace Condominium Association - Texas

For even more trivia: Some of the land near the Ghost Tracks was developed by the McCreless family. The names of the streets nearby the tracks, Cindy Sue, Nancy Carol, Laura Lee, Richey Otis, and Bobby Allen, are often said to be the names of the children who died in the fabled bus accident, but that is incorrect.

Quote:
The street names offer no proof because Tom McCreless, brother of Gordon Sealie McCreless, who built the McCreless Mall, developed the subdivision. Tom McCreless named the streets after his grandchildren.
snopes.com: San Antonio rail crossing/ghost children

Old 01-03-2008, 05:56 PM

355 posts, read 1,243,576 times
There is actually an entirely new subdivison there next to the tracks. I remember the first time i went to the tracks in highschool there was harldy anthything out there.

Old 05-30-2008, 03:28 PM

1 posts, read 7,245 times
i'm doing a little history write up on the McCreless mall and what locals think of redevelopment. Feel free to contribute

Old 07-20-2008, 02:19 PM

114,159 posts, read 53,997,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dementia_Impaled View Post
I asked at the barbershop @ Pecan Valley & Goliad for the center's owner, called the number they gave me, and am waiting to hear something. My poor dad will freak when he sees the sign if I can get it. I'll stop in the real estate office next week when I have time. I vaguely remember the BR having pictures of the area on the wall; I think the Reporter office does too, now that you mention it.

You said 'Dollarhide Creek', and got to wondering: when was the monster drainage ditch along Pecan Valley to S. New Braunfels built? The drainage inlet/tunnel for it begins on the north side of 37. There isn't any drainage along Pecan Valley until almost to Southcross. The outfall for the ditch goes across the State Hospital property, under Military, across Brooks to Espada Park, then to the San Antonio River.

From following 'Dollarhide Creek', I know it runs into Salado Creek on part of the golf course.

I don't remember the pool. Was it where the apartments behind Ponderosa are now (were named Riviera, funnily), or where the little league fields were? I still go to the Lions pool, though I miss the old play equipment & the lunar lander. I do know the huge slide that was at Comanche Park 2 is now at McArthur Park on NE 410, and the flying saucer thing from Lions is here also.

I remember when Ponderosa was tiny, like it's 'sister' lanes, Hacienda over on Zarzamora & S.W. Military. It had either 20 or 22 lanes, a galley game room and a tiny snack bar. When they started the remodel/expansion, we would play behind the plastic covering the wall on the end. I can't recall when Lone Star closed, but I don't remember it being there after the snack bar was expanded & the extra benches put in.

We also spent a lot of time at Highland Social Club and Hermann Sons lanes; I had my first job at 14 at Highlands (against mom's better judgement ) setting pins. Does anyone remember the name of the bowling lanes that were a bit up Presa from S.E. Military? I think it's a church now.

The Flame is special. I would bet money that quite a few people my age were told by their parents that they went there frequently on dates or had their first date there. I love the mirrors on the walls in the entrance; if you stand just the right way, you can look like a chorus line

On an update, the old Albertson's is being remodeled and looks ready to open as 'Azteca Market', and the old Autozone is going to be a Culebra Meat Market.

Whew.
The Hacienda Bowling Alley was originally called Southside Bowling Lanes. The Bowling alley you refered to on Presa near Military was Bowlerland later changed to All Star Lanes. It was built in 1962 or 1963. Maybe 1964 at latest. I remember the First Mates. The one on Goliad and there was one on Military where Arby's is now. About 3 blocks west of Pleasanton Rd.

Old 07-23-2008, 12:27 PM

12 posts, read 44,839 times
Wow. The Flame Drive-In. In the mid 60's, my friend Kevin Keller's dad owned the Flame. We would go in early Saturday mornings before the place opened and eat anything we wanted.

Old 07-23-2008, 03:58 PM

1,893 posts, read 4,862,385 times
PoliceCaptain, I lived across the street from the owner of the Flame. I was also, of course, a friend of his son as he was about the same age as me. I don't remember him as Kevin though. His name was Jake after his Dad Jake Keller but everyone called him Twig. Perhaps the Flame was co-owned by the Keller Brothers. I do remember an Uncle but I can't remember his name. I seem to remember he drove an automobile that we all thought was rather exotic at the time. Perhaps a Barracuda? It's been so many years. We used to go at night while his Dad was there and eat. His Mom would load Twig and me and his two sisters up in the station wagon and we would all sit under the awning and eat our burgers in the car. Sometimes we would go and sit in the office with his Dad. I used to spend the night at his house and his Dad would wake us up at around 4 am to go with him to the farmers market downtown to get produce for the restaurant. He would always take us to Mi Tierras or the Golden Star after the farmers market. I think his cousin used to manage one of the Joe's Crabshacks here in town.

It just came to me. I think the Uncles name was Don. Don Keller. Uncle Don sounds right.

Last edited by SnappyBob; 07-23-2008 at 04:03 PM.. Reason: I think I remember the uncles name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or