U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 05:24 PM

1,241 posts, read 3,899,209 times

Advertisements

Great pics fuji but I have to ask you a question, you're friends wouldn't have happened to watch a home made video recently huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2008, 03:33 PM

4 posts, read 20,635 times
Angry Miss McCreless

I was the last Security Director the mall had before it was shut down. I will truly miss it. At least I have the wall plaque that was dedicated to our VETS and use to hang on the wall outside of the entrance to the Security Office. I still find it hard to beleive that HEB was going to just destroy it along with the mall. If anyone knows of a museum or organization that would like to have it for display please contact me by DM Moderator cut: email address. All of the old photo's that were on display in the Operations Manager's office were destroyed when the mall was torn down.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 10-18-2008 at 05:00 PM.. Reason: Per ToS, Bad idea to post email address because of web crawlers/spammers - request contact by DM instead.

Old 11-18-2008, 02:10 PM

12 posts, read 44,385 times
Default Grace Ann McCreless passed away last weeki

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
I remember seeing McCreless mall being built. For the grand opening they had a helicoptor fly over the surrounding nieghborhoods and drop play money that the called confederate money.
That was the era of Grand openiongs that were really Grand!

I understand that Grace Ann's Dad, Mr McCreless built the subdivision that is right nest to the Fair Ave Home Depot right after the war. Grace Ann McCreless (married name Durr) was the first bride to get married at Highland Terrace Methodist Church when it was built.

McCreless was the first Mall in San Antonio. They always had a Mother's day art contest, and I wae upset when I was told I had won a prize, and then fourn out ALL the kids who entered "won"

My Grandmother worked in the Toy Box Store there. As grandkids of a sales person, We were usually not allowed to go inside even with a parent, least the manager get upset.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 08-29-2012 at 07:29 AM..

Old 11-18-2008, 08:28 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,323,943 times
I swear the McCreless Luby's WAS the best Luby's in town! Too bad Luby's isn't like it used to be!

Old 11-19-2008, 07:09 AM

1,893 posts, read 4,873,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legreenart View Post
That was the era of Grand openings that were really Grand!

I understand that Grace Ann's Dad, Mr McCreless built the subdivision that is right nest to the Fair Ave Home Depot right after the war. Grace Ann McCreless (married name Durr) was the first bride to get married at Highland Terrace Methodist Church when it was built.

McCreless was the first Mall in San Antonio. They always had a Mother's day art contest, and I wae upset when I was told I had won a prize, and then fourn out ALL the kids who entered "won"

My Grandmother worked in the Toy Box Store there. As grandkids of a sales person, We were usually not allowed to go inside even with a parent, least the manager get upset.
I grew up in that neighborhood. It was called the McCreless Addition. All of the streets were womens names. I lived on Christine until IH37 was built and we had to move to make way for the freeway. We then moved over a few blocks to Lilla Jean. McCreless was actually the second mall in SA. Wonderland was the first. I was sad to see it torn down also. I heard that the foundation was so bad that it could not be saved. I was also told that HEB's original plan was to convert the old MW section into a two story HEB Plus but again, the foundation condition would not allow it.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 08-29-2012 at 07:31 AM.. Reason: repaired quote tags

Old 06-17-2009, 05:31 PM

6 posts, read 20,330 times
Great memories of SA here too. I lived there from about '57 through '92. I have so many fond memories of that area way back too. Miss it much. Yes, Taco Hut had the best Mexican food, and What-A-Burger had great burgers. Don't forget the ol' Bill Millers, where it had a small dining room and deer head on the wall, remember that?

Old 07-02-2009, 04:48 PM

1 posts, read 7,198 times
Default Floyd's Dairy bar

Floyd's Dairy Bar is still in operation. I just started a Fan Club on Facebook so if you do a search in facebook for Floyd's Dairy Bar you can join the fan club. Take care, Tom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berrywine View Post
I was so sad to read that they have demolished McCreless Mall except for the movie theatre and a dept. store. I grew up on the S.E. side of SA and frequently went to the mall.

I remember long, long ago when there was a small "mall" across from McCreless Mall where there was a doctor's office and a few other offices (I was young and don't know what the other offices were), maybe one was a pharmacy. I believe they called it Little McCreless. That may not have been the official name but I remember family calling it that.

I also remember Ben Franklin Dept. Store, Winn's, Highland Hills Pharmacy, and the little liquor store on the corner of Goliad and Southcross where it intersected with Clark Ave.

These young people coming up there today don't know what they missed. I was there from about 1957 through 1992. Oh and remember the Taco Hut? They did away with it to build Albertson's, but I thought they had the best Mexican food on that side of town. Is El Tipico still there, and Floyd's Dairy Bar? I hope so.

It's too bad things have changed in that neighborhood so very much, it will never be the same.

Old 07-12-2009, 06:43 AM

1 posts, read 7,131 times
I just came upon this thread and it's an incredible journey down memory lane!

I lived on Greer St right next to I-37 till we moved out to WW White road in 1969. We continued going to school at St. Margaret Mary's, and southeast SA is definitely the old stompin' grounds. I haven't heard/read about places like the Flame and Hi Lions pool in a very long time. I was a pin setter at Highland Social Club for a few weeks one summer when one of my brothers was very sick for awhile and couldn't do his job. (The oldest setters were in lanes 1 & 10 and threw pins above our heads if we weren't doing our jobs. It's amazing none of us were hurt!) Names like Winn's and Piggly Wiggly are like old friends. In high school my friends and I would drink beer out at the Bridge and thought we were the coolest people on the planet. Does anyone remember the Tall Texan or 700 Acres or the name of the baseball fields on Pecan Valley near Dollarhide?

I'm sorry I found this thread so late. It's been fun to revisit the memories.

Last edited by TxGrrl; 07-12-2009 at 07:22 AM.. Reason: caught errors

Old 07-12-2009, 01:27 PM

3,109 posts, read 8,714,043 times

Cinema I & II McCreless opened in 1971 and was owned by General Cinema. CineMark Theatres bought out General Cinema in 1989 and Movies 9 has replaced the twin cinema. The address was 1110 McCreless Mall.

Old 07-12-2009, 05:34 PM

1,893 posts, read 4,873,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxGrrl View Post
I just came upon this thread and it's an incredible journey down memory lane!

I lived on Greer St right next to I-37 till we moved out to WW White road in 1969. We continued going to school at St. Margaret Mary's, and southeast SA is definitely the old stompin' grounds. I haven't heard/read about places like the Flame and Hi Lions pool in a very long time. I was a pin setter at Highland Social Club for a few weeks one summer when one of my brothers was very sick for awhile and couldn't do his job. (The oldest setters were in lanes 1 & 10 and threw pins above our heads if we weren't doing our jobs. It's amazing none of us were hurt!) Names like Winn's and Piggly Wiggly are like old friends. In high school my friends and I would drink beer out at the Bridge and thought we were the coolest people on the planet. Does anyone remember the Tall Texan or 700 Acres or the name of the baseball fields on Pecan Valley near Dollarhide?

I'm sorry I found this thread so late. It's been fun to revisit the memories.
If I had a little better arm I could probably throw a rock into 700 acres right now. When I was a kid the people that lived across the street owned The Flame. It's a Mexican resturaunt now. I don't remember the name of the ball field on Pecan Valley but I remember them being there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or