U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 04:19 PM
RGJ

1,902 posts, read 4,016,644 times

Advertisements

Pretty sure it was Highland Hills Little League that played at the fields on Pecan Valley and Dollarhide near Epworth Methodist Church
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 08:05 PM

10 posts, read 43,352 times
Default Handy Andy

True about the groceries. You could do your grocery shopping at Handy Andy, get a "ticket/number" that matched your shopping cart(s) and go through the drive through, hand over your number(s), and have your groceries loaded into the car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraRenee View Post
I'm 24 and my mom used to take us there all the time. And she says when they were little people were able to shop at the Handy Andy and then leave their baskets at the front and then go shopping at the mall and you could get your groceries later?? Anyways...I loved Woolworths and sitting at the snack bar stools and eating their fries...and I loved their Halloween costume aisle and pet section. Sure do miss Montgomery Wards and wish I had pictures.

Old 08-29-2009, 08:10 PM

OMG! The Flame had THE BEST fish in the world. We went there weekly to get the fish boat! We lived on Pecan Valley and Palfrey. Used to bowl at Goliad Bowl and we swam at the Riviera. There was a Winn's and Somers where the TX thrift store is now.
And the gym and OReillys used to be White's Auto and T&T Fabrics and Piggly Wiggly !
I bought my Mom her first color TV on layaway at White's in 1971 ! WOW My Mom is old! lol

Old 08-29-2009, 08:26 PM

We were members of the Riviera Swimming pool. There was an annual membership fee then you got in all year... you could take a friend in too for 10 cents! There was a round diving pool that was 12 foot deep and a rectangular pool for swimming! It was awesome. That was in the 60's!! I lived on Palfrey and my best friend lived across the street from me. We used to go ut her back gate andfrequent White's Auto, T&T Fabrcis and Piggly Wiggly. Then we headed further over to Model Market, Eddie's barber shop and Sommer's Drug store (which later became Winn's five and dime. and is now Texas Thrift. I miss my old neighborhoos in my mind. It has deteriorated badly since the 60's. No one seems to take pride in their yards / homes anymore. What a shame.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:01 PM

469 posts, read 1,024,391 times
My mom used to work for that Whites in the accounting area (I think) I know for sure it was the back office. I think she worked there from 1978 or 79 to about the mid to late 80's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolaisbk View Post
And the gym and OReillys used to be White's Auto and T&T Fabrics and Piggly Wiggly !
I bought my Mom her first color TV on layaway at White's in 1971 ! WOW My Mom is old! lol

Old 08-30-2009, 10:04 PM

47 posts, read 134,783 times
www.cinematour.com/tour/us/5024.html

Movies I remember going and using my Co-Card to get in for free! Damm that's Old School!

Old 05-18-2010, 08:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,814 times
would you please settle an argument for a group of us....we were debating where The Toy Box was located in the mall.
was it on the side of Lubys or the side of Orange Julius....we know it was down near J C Pennys but we are arguing about the side.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:29 PM

114,161 posts, read 54,041,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellotxn View Post
would you please settle an argument for a group of us....we were debating where The Toy Box was located in the mall.
was it on the side of Lubys or the side of Orange Julius....we know it was down near J C Pennys but we are arguing about the side.
It was on the same side as Orange Julius ... West side! Not far down from Wards.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:03 AM
RGJ

1,902 posts, read 4,016,644 times
I'm pretty sure The Toy Box was on the same side as Woolworth, Neisner's, Michaels Dress Shop, etc. In other words, same side as Luby's but down by J.C Penney.
Attached Thumbnails
Seeking pictures/postcards of McCreless Mall-mccreless.jpg  

Old 05-19-2010, 09:27 AM

1,893 posts, read 4,865,073 times
You're right RGJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or