Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2010, 02:48 PM

123 posts, read 450,950 times

Advertisements

I'm tired of shopping the chain vision stores like Lenscrafters. Even with all of their sales, I find I spend so much more on a pair of glasses there than through an independent optometrist. And, I'm just not loving any of their frames these days.

Can any of you recommend an independent office that has a good selection of frames for women - maybe some unique/eclectic brands? I do have vision insurance, so I'll have to compare your recommendations with my list of providers.

I'd can go to anyone from downtown north, between I-10 and 281ish.

Thanks so much,
Betsy

Last edited by Betsyg; 02-24-2010 at 03:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 03:19 PM

163 posts, read 311,346 times
Costco has frames and a resident optometrist. The one at the Sonterra Costco, Dr. Visitsunthorn, is pretty good. I don't believe you need a membership to see the doc, but you probably do to purchase frames there.

Old 02-24-2010, 03:19 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,116,573 times
Lone Star Vision Center

215 N San Saba, San Antonio, TX 78207
(210) 222-0807

Copied this from the internet yellow pages. The location is near Santa Rosa Hospital Downtown and you can park at their parking lot for a small fee or use a meter.
The hubby and I have both been here and I really like it. It's just one optometrist and he has a good selection of elecetic frames. He has some designer ones but most are unknown frame designers but they are really stylish and I always get compliments on their style. The price of the frames are really reasonable and we both got glasses thru VSP for $120! I thought that was a steal compared to the $200+ prices at the chains. We also got anti glare coating and UV protection included.
Good luck to you in your quest!

Old 02-25-2010, 01:19 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,447,523 times
Dr Wiggins at the Costco at UTSA has a VERY loyal following...she is wonderful. Also, getting the glasses there at Costco save us a bundle. HIGHLY recommend her.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:14 AM

4,323 posts, read 7,228,886 times
Before you get your eyeglass prescription filled, be sure to check the optician's guarantee/return policy. Some shops (especially the independent ones) may only offer exchanges or refunds if there are defects in materials or workmanship. If you find you just aren't happy with the frames, or they aren't comfortable after wearing them for a while, you may have to live with it, or pay full price for a new pair.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:35 AM

123 posts, read 450,950 times
Costco isn't on our insurance, but I believe Lone Star Vision Center is. I'll have to drive over and check out their frames. I actually had an exam last July so I don't need one (aren't eligible for one anyway). But, my current main glasses (frames and lenses) are 2 years old now and one of the lenses has a huge scuff that is driving me nuts. So I need to get a new pair now that I'm finally eligible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio