U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 06:29 PM

27 posts, read 37,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie_paige View Post
I am having the hardest time getting anyone to come and install anything! I need a pool fence, and no one will come out! I don't get it. 3 of the companies I called actually hung up on me. One company promised to come out for an estimate and never showed up. The solar people were supposed to come out and see if they could install panels on the roof, and they never showed, either. Even the TV guy didn't show! What's up with that? I have cash. I am willing to give it to them. They just don't seem to want it. I don't get it.
Ah, there IS that. I most recently lived in Houston, which was the most laid-back place I'd ever resided...that is, until I moved here.

The down side to it is what you've described; the positive aspect is that nearly everyone here is very, very patient because they're accustomed to having to deal with the general fecklessness of many of the contractors.

My advice? Ask your neighbors - especially ones with solar panels and new fences - whom they'd recommend.

Good luck. I hope you find reliable installers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 08:29 AM

26 posts, read 69,258 times
Quote:
We haven't had any trouble with the people. They are mostly friendly. They keep asking us why on earth we'd move from CA to TX. That really surprised me. When they find out we used to live in San Diego they are appalled we'd ever leave to come to Texas. Oh well, we didn't have a choice anyway!
The drivers are jerks, but not as bad as Wash DC, and the traffic is very light here compared to other cities we have lived in. So, it's all good..
I get that too. I moved from Northern Calif. and everyone asks "why??" as if I moved from paradise to hell. I prefer CA weather in every single way to TX weather, but the cost of living there is insane. Also, I agree with your comment about service or installation people taking their time coming to your house. We couldnt believe the lack of interest in responding to our calls for quotes on various things. WTH? It may be hard for locals to understand how "fast paced" things are there. Having a "sense of urgency" is an understatement...rush rush rush, drink starbucks, rush rush, drink a latte rush to a meeting, hurry hurry.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:15 AM

191 posts, read 385,908 times
Yeah, the CA thing is weird. We are going back to San Diego to stay forever after we're done here, but I'm surprised how many people we have met say they love Texas with one breath, and then ask us why on earth we'd leave wonderful So CA in another. I don't get it.

I don't consider that laid back, I think it's a bad work ethic. It's not like my dh can decide to not show up for work because he doesn't feel like it.

We did finally get our satellite installed, but I'm still waiting on the fence, solar, and a pool repair guy. I was going to have an addition put on the house, but I'm thinking I'm just going to forget it. We're only here for 3 years, and I don't need to spend a year of it waiting for the contractor to show up!

Old 08-17-2010, 09:06 AM

9,191 posts, read 19,058,161 times
Quote:
Yeah, the CA thing is weird. We are going back to San Diego to stay forever after we're done here, but I'm surprised how many people we have met say they love Texas with one breath, and then ask us why on earth we'd leave wonderful So CA in another. I don't get it.

I don't consider that laid back, I think it's a bad work ethic. It's not like my dh can decide to not show up for work because he doesn't feel like it.

We did finally get our satellite installed, but I'm still waiting on the fence, solar, and a pool repair guy. I was going to have an addition put on the house, but I'm thinking I'm just going to forget it. We're only here for 3 years, and I don't need to spend a year of it waiting for the contractor to show up!
How very strange. But I have never lived in San Antonio, so......

What you have just described is what I put up with in south central New Mexico for ALL services, save my yardman and dog sitter. Those two are great; the others are all iffy. No shows, no call backs, slow service, poor work, etc.

I miss the (Midland) services (very few no-shows, and those who could not make it usually called to reschedule, especially the fence installer).

If you are only going to be there for three years, I wouldn't even bother with an addition unless it is supremely important to you.

I have decided the same here--it's just TOO much frustration to put up with when I doubt I'm staying once things wrap up in Texas.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:21 AM

191 posts, read 385,908 times
The addition is pretty important because we need a downstairs bedroom for my father who has cancer. According to the HOA we can't convert the garage because we have to have a garage used for parking cars, so I was going to build a garage, and convert the current garage in to a playroom/bedroom area. Plus adding the sq footage on won't hurt our resale value, and in addition, we are planning on keeping the house for a rental after we move, which is why we got the 15 year mortgage on it. The sooner it's paid off, the better. As it is, I think we are going to do a semi permanent conversion on the garage ourselves, so my father can have a downstairs place to live until he doesn't need it anymore. The docs aren't very optimistic that he will be with us for more than a year. After we don't need it anymore, it can still be a garage. I don't have time to waste on lazy contractors who won't come out and get the job done quickly. The usefulness of the addition would be past if they drag their feet or don't bother to show up.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:37 AM

993 posts, read 2,189,399 times
...Moved here from Northern Virginia 2 years ago.

People are nice and friendly....once you get them out of their cars. Seems like everyone acts like a tough guy, and like they are hard. Many drivers use their big SUVs and raised pickups to intimidate smaller cars on the road. It gets very annoying. I also hate how expensive my car insurance is here, but I can't complain, I bought a SFH.

Old 08-17-2010, 01:39 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,332,297 times
NOT TRUE! I am a native Chicagoan and have found a welcome home in Texas and more specifically, San Antonio.

I did get those who called me 'yankee' for a bit, but I didn't let it bother me much. It's idiotic to me that folks still have hang-ups about things that happened well over 100 years ago. I just ignored it.

Embrace Texas- She'll embrace you

BN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio