U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 12:53 PM

11 posts, read 18,025 times

Advertisements

Before my wife and I decided or even considered homeschooling, we saw other families that had already been there done that. Families that were currently homeschooling. We did research with some colleges and from what we learned was that the colleges prefer kids that were homeschooled, due to the discipline and integrity they come with already. I'm not promoting homeschool, it is not for everyone. But those who have kids in grade school shoul not blame the school system or government, examine yourself ask the question, "Am I involved with what son/daughter is learning? Are they getting the proper help? What can I do to help my kid?" This is not just for mothers, most of all it is for the father, and if the father is absent then the mom needs to find a way to spend more time with the kids by either working less Hours or by taking turns with kid's education needs.
Pray about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 01:36 PM

73 posts, read 148,036 times
TAKS is a fact of life. Is it perfect, probably not, name a standardized test that is. But how else do we keep track of schools and what or how well they are teaching? Do we rely on schools submitting their own grades? How many schools do you think will turn themselves in as being academically unacceptable. Do we hire monitors to go in and check teachers? Everyone remembers the day a principal came in to review our teachers, it was a complete joke, planned activities, some teachers I remember told us what to say in advance. So that won't be a reliable way to track schools.

If your student is truly an A or B student passing the TAKS will not be a problem. If they are stressed over taking it, download some released tests from TEA and show them the kinds of problems they will see, if they can solve them they have nothing to worry about. If they can't then a little extra tutoring from home can help.

Oh and by the way sskkc is right, schools have gotten better ratings by moving students into tests that don't count for state accountability. These are high performing special ed students that are in mainstream classes, they receive the same curriculum as non special ed students but teachers feel they may fail TAKS. They convince the parents that lowering the bar and giving them the modified test is in the best interest of their student. The student takes a TAKS-Modified test which doesn't count towards the schools accountability.

Link to what tests counted towards campus accountability ratings for the 2008-2009 school year.
http://ritter.tea.state.tx.us/perfre.../20080814b.pdf

Last edited by kidd_91; 04-16-2010 at 01:50 PM..

Old 04-16-2010, 02:59 PM

80 posts, read 122,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidd_91 View Post
TAKS is a fact of life. Is it perfect, probably not, name a standardized test that is. But how else do we keep track of schools and what or how well they are teaching? Do we rely on schools submitting their own grades? How many schools do you think will turn themselves in as being academically unacceptable. Do we hire monitors to go in and check teachers? Everyone remembers the day a principal came in to review our teachers, it was a complete joke, planned activities, some teachers I remember told us what to say in advance. So that won't be a reliable way to track schools.

If your student is truly an A or B student passing the TAKS will not be a problem. If they are stressed over taking it, download some released tests from TEA and show them the kinds of problems they will see, if they can solve them they have nothing to worry about. If they can't then a little extra tutoring from home can help.

Oh and by the way sskkc is right, schools have gotten better ratings by moving students into tests that don't count for state accountability. These are high performing special ed students that are in mainstream classes, they receive the same curriculum as non special ed students but teachers feel they may fail TAKS. They convince the parents that lowering the bar and giving them the modified test is in the best interest of their student. The student takes a TAKS-Modified test which doesn't count towards the schools accountability.

Link to what tests counted towards campus accountability ratings for the 2008-2009 school year.
http://ritter.tea.state.tx.us/perfre.../20080814b.pdf
[SIZE=3]Youíre right the TAKS is not perfect and no matter the test there will always be some sort of controversy. My problem with the TAKS test is the pressure they place on these kids. My son is in the 3rd grade and he is an A/B student and he is completely stressed over this test. We give him additional help at home but heís stressed saying if ďI donít pass this test I canít go to the 4th grade with my friends.Ē [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Iím sorry but I think itís tough to try and rationalize with an 8-YO and tell him heíll do fine when all he hears from teachers all day of how important this test is for them to advance. My sonís 3rd grade teacher literally only teaches the TAKS test. Heck, when I was in the 3rd grade I was learning how to write in cursive amongst other important things. The schools donít even teach cursive anymore? Why? Because itís not on the TAKS?!? [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I honestly believe some kids know the material but are not great test takers due to the amount of stress that is placed on them. I understand life can be stressful but I think an 8/9 year old should not have this type of pressure at such a young age. [/SIZE]

Old 04-16-2010, 04:39 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,414,643 times
The trend (and the law) is reducing the number of kids who can take the version of the tests that do not count against the school (in Texas, that would be TAKS-M).

A school may choose to have more students take these tests, but it will be counted against the schools as an artificial failure. So, no, schools can no longer do that.

Old 04-17-2010, 06:17 AM

1,663 posts, read 3,077,375 times
You have to remember there is a four tier system of TAKS. Regular TAKS is what everyone is supposed to take, unless they have a disability that requires accomodations, then it is TAKS-A for Accomodated. They are scored the same way. TAKS-M is for those with disabilities severe enough that they can't pass TAKS-A or regular TAKS. Remember a disability can be learning, emotional, hearing, vision, speech, mental disability etc. and TAKS-M is scored differently. The most profoundly disabled take TAKS-Alt.

Old 04-17-2010, 06:55 AM

213 posts, read 512,997 times
I will tell you what we experienced with TAKS. We moved here 1 week before testing for son, in his Junior year of high school. The counselor, principal and Vice Principal were so worried he would not be able to do the test and finish with a decent score. Well the following week came with testing, son took it, came home said no problem Mom.

Weeks later got the results back, son had done really well, actually he did exceptionally well, he did not miss one question. YUP you read that right he got a perfect score. To say the least school personell were blown away as he was the only student in their school to receive a perfect score.

Old 04-17-2010, 08:45 AM

3,183 posts, read 7,414,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsawomanthing View Post
I will tell you what we experienced with TAKS. We moved here 1 week before testing for son, in his Junior year of high school. The counselor, principal and Vice Principal were so worried he would not be able to do the test and finish with a decent score. Well the following week came with testing, son took it, came home said no problem Mom.

Weeks later got the results back, son had done really well, actually he did exceptionally well, he did not miss one question. YUP you read that right he got a perfect score. To say the least school personell were blown away as he was the only student in their school to receive a perfect score.
Not sure why they would be worried. He would not "count" for them, coming so late in the year.

Old 04-17-2010, 11:23 AM

872 posts, read 2,599,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre View Post
Not sure why they would be worried. He would not "count" for them, coming so late in the year.
Hmm, that's exactly what I thought when I read that.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:53 AM

73 posts, read 148,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre View Post
The trend (and the law) is reducing the number of kids who can take the version of the tests that do not count against the school (in Texas, that would be TAKS-M).

A school may choose to have more students take these tests, but it will be counted against the schools as an artificial failure. So, no, schools can no longer do that.
The 2 percent cap on TAKS-M is figured based on the district. The "automatically failures" are then spread across. So, yes, individual schools can and still do that.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:37 AM

149 posts, read 353,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules07 View Post
You make your comment (opinion) about home schooling as if it's a "fact". Got any documentation to back that up there, kiddo?

I've got some to refute it ~ my 23yod was home schooled most of her life (through high school as well), and has more "street smarts" then the majority of kids I see going through public schools now! Additionally, she has common sense that most TOTALLY lack, as well as no "peer dependancy". Interesting "observation", eh?

That said, I am NOT advocating that *everyone* should home school. The rest of my children are currently in public school and doing VERY well. My point is that you shouldn't make blanket statements without some facts to back them up.

OH ~ on topic ~ the TAKS sux!!! All of my kids do well on it, but the pressure they are put under is horrible.
Agreeing here. Also adding that my homeschooled 7 yo took a released version of the TAKS and passed easily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio