U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 08:03 PM

545 posts, read 2,086,948 times

Advertisements

I don't know a single educator who actually likes the test. It's yet another one of those thing created by legislators, not educators, that makes a buck for a company (in this case Pearson) and give folks in government a nice little number to look at, rather than actually looking at what students know.

There are so many things that teachers could do better with their time, but after Christmas break, it's all TAKS. Having a single test measure the 'worth' of a student is no way to teach kids. I know of third graders who have had anxiety attacks because of this test and the pressure teachers put on them to do well. The whole accountability system is screwed and the test is a big part of that.

By the way, the person responsible for making TAKS (and it's predecessor TAAS) such big business and a big part of the Texas educational system? One letter: W.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 08:04 PM

188 posts, read 549,729 times
HATE IT! When we were in CO it was the CSAPs and here it is the TAKS and it's all the same - the teachers teach the test - what's on the test, how to take the test... not because they want to, I really do support our teachers, but because they have to. It is important to have a way to measure students' progress, but this is not the way.

I don't like them because they actually stifle learning, in my opinion. Let's say the class is learning science, and they get talking about some stuff and get off topic but it is still science related and educational, to me that is the benefit of a class of students all learning together - the give and take and pure love of knowledge. But that never happens because the teachers have to stick to the test material and keep on track!

I tell my kids - 4th & 6th grades - that it is a test for the teachers, not for them, really. I mean, I assume they'll pass, they've always been commended - and I tell them that it really doesn't even count towards their final course grade, because I don't think it does. They start to get stressed with all the "go to bed early! study hard!" talk from the teachers, but I tell them that really, RELAX as they know it or they don't, and they do.

Sorry - long post - I just despise the standardized tests of today!

Old 09-04-2008, 08:09 PM

75 posts, read 168,699 times
If your daughter is making A's and B's and is an all around good student, which is what it sounds like, she will have absolutely no problem passing the TAKS test. She'll probably get commended, even (which is I believe above a 90% or something on the TAKS?).

The TAKS is absolutely nothing to worry about if she is doing so well in school. Even for lower-scoring students, it's a silly excuse for the test. Absolutely nothing compared to the SAT or an AP exam or anything. It's just a ridiculous excuse for a test that's regulated by the state.

Has your daughter ever taken a TAKS test? (forgive me if you have answered this...I haven't read the other posts in this thread). If not then reassure her that she has NOTHING to worry about...this coming from someone who has taken these stupid tests for 9 years.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:14 PM

124 posts, read 227,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaleman View Post
I don't know a single educator who actually likes the test. .
Precisely why we need the test...

Quote:
It's yet another one of those thing created by legislators, not educators, that makes a buck for a company (in this case Pearson) and give folks in government a nice little number to look at.
Yeah educators do not like numbers or results or anything like that. It make them feel really uncomfortable.

Quote:
There are so many things that teachers could do better with their time,
yeah like taking even longer vacations.

Quote:
but after Christmas break, it's all TAKS. Having a single test measure the 'worth' of a student is no way to teach kids. I know of third graders who have had anxiety attacks because of this test and the pressure teachers put on them to do well. The whole accountability system is screwed and the test is a big part of that.
a chick of light enters, you actually used the word accountability

Quote:
By the way, the person responsible for making TAKS (and it's predecessor TAAS) such big business and a big part of the Texas educational system? One letter: W.
but is rapidly extinguished!

Old 09-04-2008, 08:15 PM

29,965 posts, read 47,188,983 times
Actually the person to hold accountable for standardized testing on a state level and accountability is Ross Perot--it was his idea to have "No Pass--No Play" which was the beginning of the accountability process and his panel came up with the idea for TAAS--the precursor to TAKS...
we can thank W for the No Child Left Behind Act which has done more to make HIGH-STAKES testing a cost factor in school districts throughout TX and now the US--it is his attempt to use withholding federal school funds for non-performing/improving schools as a lever to make parents agitate for vouchers...it is religious based in its intent and it is a FOUL law--much worse than TAKS in and of itself...

I am retired English teacher--I taught TAKS course material more than any of you posting on this thread--I have seen students who worked their butts off fail by one question sometimes--and seen some fail two or three times before passing...
I know sometimes students who could pass TAKS easily because they are capable students fear it and waste time in class preparing for it when they could be gaining new skills and knowledge--but believe me...TAKS had done a good job at holding ALL districts accountable---now there is no district that can slide by and ignore ESL students or minority students or poor ones (and believe me there were/are districts like that if given the chance--I taught in one)...
so while I don't agree that everyting in the name of TAKS is worthwhile...I can think of worse ways to spend time in the classroom--
I just think ALL teaching curriculas should have TAKS--and mostly they will when the end of course exit tests become part of the system...

actually the TAKS test is working--Texas overall level of success on grade level HAS improved since the beginning of standardized testing hit our state--
all school districts and schools are held to the same standard -- whether they have many college prep kids or ESL learners or gang bangers--they are all held to the same standard...
and we are having more kids from wider demographics take the SAT each year--our state's avg is still less than the nation's but it is getting better with diluted stats--that is in part a result of the TAKS tests since many students who take the SAT are not in AP classes...
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/education/SAT_scores_nationally_hold_steady_Texas_students_r ank_below_average.html (broken link)

so if we want higher SAT scores we need to have higher income for families---there is a direct correlation between poverty and low standardized test scores...

National SAT scores rise, but Texas near bottom

I know that most of you will be still complaining when the end of course exit level test start...

Last edited by loves2read; 09-04-2008 at 08:35 PM..

Old 09-04-2008, 08:46 PM

2,953 posts, read 8,607,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slonga View Post
Yeah I much preferred it when we did not have the TAKS test. Why should we have a test for very basic math skills? Why should we have a test for english comprehension? It is a disgrace. Why do we need to know the area of a room? or the slope of a line? or how to comprehend a simple paragraph of english. We want our kids to work at McDonalds and all we need to learn is "would you like fries with that?"
Im sorry, the TAKS does not prove you know that, it in no way helps any student's learning. It has forced the teachers and the administrators to focus on one myopic point in English and Math, not the basics of How to think. Go to that same McDonalds after one of those HS grads has passed the TAKS, give the $5.13 for a $2.63 bill and watch the confused look on their face if the computer has closed off. They cant think in basic math today.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:55 PM

242 posts, read 593,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
If your daughter is making A's and B's and is an all around good student, which is what it sounds like, she will have absolutely no problem passing the TAKS test.
Actually, being able to make As and Bs in class does not guarantee success on the TAKS. If you have ever seen a sample test, you will see that the test more precisely tests TAKS-test taking skills. There are specific procedures that are taught regarding the test which have little or no relationship to content. In the writing portion, you are assessed not only on the quality of the writing, but also on how well you followed the "TAKS strategies". My daughter took her first TAKS writing test upon moving here from up north, and she lost points because she did not use the strategies (she had not yet had a chance to learn), even though the writing was good.

Classroom teachers spend hours giving practice tests with their students - not to assess their knowledge of content - but to get them used to the format and practice the strategies. If your daughter suffers from test anxiety, or if her test-taking skills are not as honed as her knowledge of the material, she could, unfortunately, not do well. Several months ago, WOAI did a story on a young woman who had been on A/B honor roll throughout her entire school career, had been one of the top students in her class, but had been unable to pass her exit levels, even after several attempts. I know that she is not the only one this has happened to.

I guess that you know have an idea of how I feel about the TAKS.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
Im sorry, the TAKS does not prove you know that, it in no way helps any student's learning. .
No but it does help expose how poor a job our teachers were doing.

Quote:
It has forced the teachers and the administrators to focus on one myopic point in English and Math, not the basics of How to think. .
Like the following myopic points: How to understand and answer questions on a simple paragraph of english. or how to calculate simple percentages on a pie chart.

Quote:
Go to that same McDonalds after one of those HS grads has passed the TAKS, give the $5.13 for a $2.63 bill and watch the confused look on their face if the computer has closed off. They cant think in basic math today.
Yes unlike how they were doing it before the TAKS test where they could do long division in their heads.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:04 PM
cwh

345 posts, read 856,168 times
There should be no problem with standardized tests for schools. These are as much of test for the schools as they are the students. Without them, we really have no idea how schools are performing good or bad.

That being said, the skill level required of these tests is an absolute joke(from what I understand). And my memory of prior taas test I had to take some years ago, its skill level was a joke as well.

Schools should not spend time "teaching the test", they should just cover the material they are supposed to. Good students will do well on any standardized test. Teachers will know which students are going to need help, and those students should be given more attention. But that is not how schools are responding.

Our education system is quite messed up....

Old 09-04-2008, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwh View Post
There should be no problem with standardized tests for schools. These are as much of test for the schools as they are the students. Without them, we really have no idea how schools are performing good or bad.
Well said - 100% - top of class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwh View Post
That being said, the skill level required of these tests is an absolute joke(from what I understand). And my memory of prior taas test I had to take some years ago, its skill level was a joke as well.
Top of class again - just for comparison here is an examination question from a country that we trade with -- this is one of the questions from their graduation test. They take over 40 hours of tests to graduate. I hesitate to share the math tests.

Robert Frost a poet of sadness?
Write an introduction to the poetry of Robert Frost using the above title.
Your introduction should address his themes and the impact of his poetry on you as a reader. Support your points with reference to the poems you have studied.
The Poetry of T.S. Eliot a personal journey.
Write a personal response to the poems by T.S. Eliot on your course. Support your points with reference to the poetry on your course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio