U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 03:42 PM

Location: Wandering the halls aimlessly...Hello? Is anyone there?
307 posts, read 414,818 times

Advertisements

OK, Im going to throw something out there and hopefully it will yield some decent feedback. So without any futher hesitation here it goes.

My daughter is a documented A&B Honor Roll student. Her teachers love her and she gets high marks in all her classes. I have never had any problems with her and neither have her teachers. Like I said, an all around good kid.

Towards the end of the last semester of the school year, I started noticing changes in her sleeping habits as she was staying up late and studying her butt off.

I also noticed that she was stressing out more than usual over her school work. I did what any good loving parent would do and reassurred her that her grades were fine and she had nothing to worry about.

Well as this state exam neared, her behavior became more and more bizarre. I also noticed that she was crying, physically crying because the teachers were constantly telling her, as well as the rest of the student body, that she would not progress to the next grade if they did not pass this state exam.

Ok, now Im a little concerned here because here you have an A and B student with no discipline history to speak of, stressing over a state exam, which to my way of thinking is based on what she was learning anyways. So once again, I reassurred her that a student with her academic history should have no problems passing the exam. Besides, she was an A and B student.

Well much to my amazement, I learned a thing or two about this so called "TAKS" test. It would seem that the teacher could have a a total slacker for a student who was basically failing everything, but as long as he or she scored high on the TAKS test, they would promote to the next grade.
This came from a school counselor! I couldnt believe it! Really! Here my daughter is busting her butt to keep her grades high, while some little gang thug who barely does anything, has documentation proving his lack of academic ability, is prone to class disruption, and victimizes other students passes the state exam and is allowed to move to the next grade. How in the hell does that work? What message are they sending to our kids? Its ok to be a screwup because as long as you do well at the end of the year, you'll pass? I wish I had the extra cash as she would be in private school, but I dont so we have to suffer with the public school system. Ok, so I've aired my complaints to the School Board right? You know where it got me? It got me hung up on, several emails stating that they understand my concerns and would get back to me on them. Its been 6 months and not so much as a phone call. Ahhh yes, the good ol' San Antonio Independant School District.

To add insult to injury, did you know that they are allowing 17yr olds to stay in middle school? 17yrs old is legal age to go to jail, yet they are allowing these miscreants to stay in and around 12 and 13 yr old students. Folks, am I the only one who sees a problem with this?

Let me guess, they get more money if they have more students right? 17yrs old and still in middle school? Ummm at 17, I was graduating Highschool and Joining the military. I have a serious problem with these knuckleheads being in and around kids much younger and much smaller than them. Perfect hunting ground for bullies and sexual deviants! Our kids safety jeapordized for the sake of the federal dollar...oh yeah school board, you are the all knowing all seeing power. Meanwhile you reap the benefits and send your kids to private schools on our buck. Am I ticked off? Hell yeah I am! Anyways, I dont mean to rant, but sit down and talk to some of the campus police for SAISD middle schools. They'll tell you some scarey stuff off the record....they have to work to.

Nonetheless here I am, concerened about this much touted TAKS test. Its a sham and we've been scammed once again. Well I've said enough....your turn. Please, if you've had a similar experience I'd love to hear it.

Winter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 03:51 PM

14,874 posts, read 37,143,466 times
My personal thoughts on the TAKS tests............ HATE IT!!!! Can't STAND IT! Wish it would POOF and disappear. This all of course is putting it VERY mildly. In a few years they are supposed to have "end of course" exams for high school. DUH!!! Why not as it worked well for generations of us.

Tell your daughter not to worry. I HATE schools that make a big deal over the TAKS tests. But the schools and teachers are getting the same treatment from their higher ups. You got parents out there that put all of this weight on the "score" a school gets based SOLELY on the TAKS scores of the students at that school. I have two kids and one has been in a G&T magnet school and has always said the "TAKS tests are stupid and easy". The other did good on them. First kid, at her school it was no big deal. Second childs school - it WAS!

Yes, a thug can sit and do nothing all semester/year and as long as they barely pass the class and the test they are promoted. Try being a teacher in a middle school classroom for summer school w/ the thugs that ALWAYS fail the classes AND the TAKS tests. One looked at my sister while she was teaching summer middle school and said, "why do I care if I fail it. It will hurt YOU more than it will me." She could not argue w/ him as he was exactly correct.

Be supportive of your daughter. Let her know you also don't like the fact she has to take these TAKS tests but let her know that her good grades are going to go MUCH FURTHER for her for college and in the REAL world than the TAKS tests ever will.

Old 09-04-2008, 03:55 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,811 posts, read 33,101,095 times
All you really need to know to understand pressure that's put on students for TAKS is that teacher pay and funding for individual schools and districts are tied to the results of the TAKS test. The pressure on students is coming from the top down.

Old 09-04-2008, 04:22 PM

4,103 posts, read 6,051,251 times
I despise the TAKS test! I think the quality of our childrens' education is suffering because that's all they teach when the kids are 3rd grade and up. It's enough to make me want to homeschool but dh isn't on board with that.

Old 09-04-2008, 06:16 PM

824 posts, read 419,669 times
I hate it too! We just moved here in June so we are new to all this. My son comes home from school (6th grade) and says thats all his teacher talks about. What happened to no child left behind? okay that is a joke! 17 yr olds in middle school? How in the world is that allowed!!?? I thought we would move to tx and get a better education..... Now schools are only teaching whats going to be on the test? Ridiculous!!!!

Old 09-04-2008, 06:45 PM

2,260 posts, read 4,937,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
All you really need to know to understand pressure that's put on students for TAKS is that teacher pay and funding for individual schools and districts are tied to the results of the TAKS test. The pressure on students is coming from the top down.
It isn't like the teachers are all hepped up about it. The teachers I know hate the tests too. It doesn't make their work any easier; in fact, it adds layers and layers of paperwork and red tape.

The only people who seem to like these tests and think they work are the governor and the president.

Old 09-04-2008, 06:50 PM

Location: Wandering the halls aimlessly...Hello? Is anyone there?
307 posts, read 414,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allylang1 View Post
I hate it too! We just moved here in June so we are new to all this. My son comes home from school (6th grade) and says thats all his teacher talks about. What happened to no child left behind? okay that is a joke! 17 yr olds in middle school? How in the world is that allowed!!?? I thought we would move to tx and get a better education..... Now schools are only teaching whats going to be on the test? Ridiculous!!!!
Well since you asked, Yes, there are many middle schools in the SAISD District that allow 17 yr olds to go to middle school. Lets think about this for a minute shall we? You've afforded this teen every possible way possible to progress to higher levels of academic learning and he or she has thumbed thier nose in your face. Yet the school district sees fit to allow these little menaces to victimize new and younger kids over and over. Makes me sick to my stomach....really! I never once saw any advertisement on television, in the paper, or friggin carrier pigeon announcing that my kid would be attending her first years of higher learning with habitual offenders and thugs. I wonder why? Because parents like me would have called them on it thats why. Try and voice your opinion at a school meeting or school board meeting. You'll get told to kiss off in the most polite way possible. They will dance around your concerns, down play your fears and have you removed if you call them on it. Like I said, our system needs an overhaul.

Get rid of the TAKS test...it aint working and theres no way your going to convince me otherwise.

Take these thugs out of school and put them in juvenile detention where they belong. They are using the middle schools as recruiting grounds for future gang members. Dont believe me, ask a Campus Police officer...one who doesnt have his head up Administrations butt. See if Im lying. I'm not. Trust me...they have it hard as they are constantly overrdden on thier decisions to file and prosecute... all for the sake of numbers and greed. I hate to say it, but unless you live on one of the ritzier sides of town, there is no justice for the kids. Its all about the Principles reputation and the amount of federal money the school will get when they are at max capacity. Sure there are alot of kids who have overcome this adversity, but shouldnt have had to face it in the first place if the school really had the childs best interest in mind.

My two cents......and then some.
Winter

Old 09-04-2008, 06:51 PM

27 posts, read 75,283 times
Im only 20 and i remember taking it every year starting from 1st grade. They always seemed easy but not to easy. I never really worried about until i got to my junior year which is when you take the final taks test when i knew i needed to study for it. But when i recieved it, it was just like all the erst, nothing to big to worry about. All teachers say it's worthless but yet here students are year after year still taking it.

Old 09-04-2008, 07:42 PM

2,951 posts, read 8,595,046 times
The TAKS does nothing but TAX the Teachers and the Students, it doesnt teach them anything except how to take that test. I know several of the Charter schools in SA, thats all they teach the whole year, how to take that test. so they can get good scores for the state boards. Then they get better funding. The students dont get edumacated, they learn how to take a test, GIGO, Garbage In, Garbage Out, that is all that test is.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:02 PM

124 posts, read 226,983 times
Yeah I much preferred it when we did not have the TAKS test. Why should we have a test for very basic math skills? Why should we have a test for english comprehension? It is a disgrace. Why do we need to know the area of a room? or the slope of a line? or how to comprehend a simple paragraph of english. We want our kids to work at McDonalds and all we need to learn is "would you like fries with that?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio