Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 05:23 PM

1,220 posts, read 2,681,571 times

Advertisements

Geez...hasn't anybody driven in Houston??? I think San Antonian drivers are pretty good compared to driving in Houston's INSANITY!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 05:38 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,050,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlmosCyclist View Post
When I was travelling to the Northside of San Antonio for business, I hated the city. It seemed to be sort of an overgrown, flavorless suburb. Then I started doing some consulting downtown. In the evenings, I would ride my bike through the various Historic Districts and fell in love with the place. It is rare to find a city with so much of it's historic homes still intact ...and affordable!
Downtown is the best part.

Old 01-23-2009, 05:38 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,278,015 times
After 3 months in San Antonio, moved from Missouri:

Good:
- Weather: 40F/65F all winter long? I'll take it.
- The trees are green during winter ... just beautiful.
- I hear spanish every single day (that I'm not working )
- Cheap housing

Bad:
- Nobody uses their @$% blinkers
- Too freaking dry, the soil looks as if we live 50 miles away from a desert.

Old 01-23-2009, 05:39 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,050,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffyfan View Post
Geez...hasn't anybody driven in Houston??? I think San Antonian drivers are pretty good compared to driving in Houston's INSANITY!
I've driven in all of the state's major cities, and think all the drivers are bad. But the ones who annoy me the most? The ones in Austin!

Old 01-25-2009, 01:14 AM

2,744 posts, read 6,110,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
After 3 months in San Antonio, moved from Missouri:

Good:
- Weather: 40F/65F all winter long? I'll take it.
- The trees are green during winter ... just beautiful.
- I hear spanish every single day (that I'm not working )
- Cheap housing

Bad:
- Nobody uses their @$% blinkers

San Antonio is subtropical. We are in a drought. It hasn't ever been this bad I think I heard on the news.

Old 01-25-2009, 07:57 AM

27 posts, read 179,745 times
The weather, the food, the people, and the culture makes San Antonio an awesome place to live. San Antonio was just rank as one of the 10 safest cities to drive in. The frontage roads keeps the traffic flowing! As the seventh largest city, the traffic is a piece of cake! There are very good schools in San Antonio and alot of things for families to do! The rodeo, Sea World, Fiesta Texas, river walk, Witte Museum, Majestic Theater, Fiesta week, Alamo, Spurs, Folklife Festival, Schlitterbahn, and the hill contry are just a few of the things my family enjoy here in San Antonio. If you move to San Antonio you wil love it!

Old 01-25-2009, 08:24 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,790,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
No joke - my arms and back are killing me, and my lip split this week from the lack of humidity. That's the one thing I'm looking forward to during my 3 week trip back to the PNW - being able to recover some and see some rain.

To throw my own thing in, I like the lack of red tape and the fact that the government isn't so obvious about trying to find new, creative ways to tax everyone.

edit: the bad - drivers are morons. A few days ago at a service road intersection I watched someone stop because their green turn arrow turned into a green dot (yield). All of us going the opposite way started driving but the second car in their line decided to go around the first one and through all of us to make a left turn!

Old 01-26-2009, 02:07 PM

68 posts, read 362,085 times
Default Good people/ Bad drivers/ cheap car insurance- WHAT THE !!!

Good: The people of San Antonio- are hands down the nicest that I have ever seen. Everybody is good conversationalists and have fun personalities. Even, the teenagers are less angsty and socialable. I love the cultural diversity and I am so relieved that everybody co-exists so well together. The weather is great- I am worried about the drought though and I am about to head outside to do a rain dance. Everywhere you want to go in S.A. is easy to get to- we've only been here a month, but we haven't had to travel more than 15 min. to get anywhere yet. HEB is a really great grocery store and even though it is like the only game in town they have good prices and a huge selection. So far- there has been tons to do in town- lots of events, activities and attractions to go see. I can see where Spring through Fall will be a really busy, fun time here.

Bad: I have described the driving here to friends as being like driving in movies like Mad Max! It is fast and furious. Everybody drives huge trucks and everybody drives- FAST!!! When we first got here I literally would grip the steering wheel so hard that I would have a hard time loosening my grip- my fingers would atrophy on the wheel. But, we are growing more use to the driving- I screamed out of fear a lot less this past week. The libraries are not great- I have been to two so far Cody & Westfall and they seem small & dated and extremely low funded. Even though they say Cody was just updated- I can't imagine how bad it must have been. The library system really needs some serious attention and funding- more books, magazines...actually everything! I hope to not just complain about things, but try to help improve matters too.

Surprising: that our car insurance actually went down!!! Which is crazy because where we moved from they all drove like polite grannies. Also, people who look like they might be unfriendly or even dangerous- are also really nice. Seriously, it is a little disorienting.

Basically though- we love it here and we are so happy we made this move!

Old 01-26-2009, 02:46 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,171,277 times
I can't believe the people saying that the drivers drive really fast. I find them to be super slow. If you go on 410, barely anyone is even doing the speed limit

Old 01-26-2009, 05:27 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
I can't believe the people saying that the drivers drive really fast. I find them to be super slow. If you go on 410, barely anyone is even doing the speed limit
I agree with that, on 281 just North of the airport looks like all the stupid people drive on the left lane, because it's easier for me to pass cars on the right lane than on the left lane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio