U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 03:49 PM

15,065 posts, read 19,692,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
I just don't get the appeal of that show. It's too much about the hosts' opinions, which generally aren't very informed, compared to the other sports talk hosts in town. To me, it's like listening to a conversation about sports taking place at the next table during lunch at a high school.
Exactly, that's the directly that all of reading seems to be going.

Whenever I listen to sports radio, it sounds like 2 little kids talking about politics.... they sound like they know a lot, until you start listening to what they are saying and you realize that is a completely useless conversation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2010, 07:11 PM

113 posts, read 245,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
I just don't get the appeal of that show. It's too much about the hosts' opinions, which generally aren't very informed, compared to the other sports talk hosts in town. To me, it's like listening to a conversation about sports taking place at the next table during lunch at a high school.
Yeah, I somewhat agree,but it's still about as good as it gets in SA. I still don't know how Mike Taylor and Jim Bob are even on the air. Then there's that coach, whatever his name is and Johnny Fingers who just talk all the time about how great the Cowboys are and anyone who calls in that don't agree with them gets cut off. Sports talk in SA is a joke.

Old 08-07-2010, 07:20 PM

113 posts, read 245,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAguy View Post
Actually, it's not pathetic considering the demographics isn't here to support a "Black" Hip Hop, R&B or Gospel formatted station. The black population in SA is roughly 7% which is not enough to have a specific station geared to the Black community. Whether you agree or not, it's reality.
Please don't give me that. Corpus Christi has a Black radio station, Austin has a black radio station.

Old 08-08-2010, 01:04 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,421,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big A View Post
The only decent sports talk radio is the Grind with Calvin, Rudy and Salami.
i hope you are joking, these guys have no business being on the radio. If you want to see them show off their horrible english this is your show. I know they pay to be on the radio, but i would pay them to get off. They sound stupid with their conversations and just horrible radio, they should not even be mentioned as talk show hosts.

Old 08-08-2010, 05:02 AM

7 posts, read 12,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apal View Post
I gave up on radio four years ago.. I am an XM fan. That's why its in the car,truck and online for home. I even have a portable unit. It's worth the money. Plus you dont have to worry about the annoying car sale commercials.
I used to sub to XM and Sirius. When they launched in 2001 they couldn't be beat. Later, after terrestrial radio hack Mel Karmazin took over Sirius, bought out XM and merged the two companies, the music and talk programming on both services went into the crapper and I could no longer justify paying $12 to $15 per month for each service, not counting up front costs for hardware just to be able to listen to one or the other. I've now turned to internet radio, and since doing so I've never looked back. Best move I've ever made. Cheaper too. If you love music you have to try Pandora. It's a subscription service for which I pay $36 per year (not per month, per year). You can listen to music of any genre. You can create your own stations, listen as long as you want, anytime you want. Pandora's music library and playlists dwarf Sirius and XM. Better yet there are no DJ's, no commercials and I can listen while driving in my car (iPhone 3G network/bluetooth) or in my home (wi-fi). Slacker radio is another good internet based alternative to XM and Sirius. As far as local SA radio goes, other than listening to WOAI radio between 6-6:30 am to catch local news while driving my wife to work I have no use for it.

Old 08-25-2010, 01:36 PM

499 posts, read 679,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanluisito View Post
You won't believe me but i am a fan of searching rare radio stations, and sometimes at night... if you want to catch rare stations i recomend you to try at night - i have heard 1200 am woai from Mexico City which is at 19.6 degrees latitude
I picked up 1200 WOAI in southern Illinois once on vacation in the car.

Old 08-25-2010, 01:40 PM

499 posts, read 679,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
Yes what gets me is this town goes crazy for some damn training camp, and the stations cover it like its the super bowl. This makes us look very small town, and not ready for some NFL football. Somwhere Jerry Jones is laughing at the city.
Preaching to the choir agree!

Old 08-25-2010, 07:05 PM

2,790 posts, read 5,184,382 times
Amen. ALL the media in SA cram the Cowboys down our throats. They probably get kickbacks so they can advertise it and people go out and buy their merchandise.

Internet radio is the way to go. I have not listened to an FM station in San Antonio in the past 10 years, and it has been a good 10 years.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:26 PM

15,065 posts, read 19,692,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
Amen. ALL the media in SA cram the Cowboys down our throats. They probably get kickbacks so they can advertise it and people go out and buy their merchandise.

Internet radio is the way to go. I have not listened to an FM station in San Antonio in the past 10 years, and it has been a good 10 years.
I thought I was the only one that noticed it,
I lived in Kansas City (Chiefs) and St. Louis (Rams) and both of those cities only talk about their NFL teams when they play games.

San Antonio media (tv/radio) talk about the Dallas Cowboys 365-1/2 days of the year.
They are making me a Texans fan.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:28 PM

441 posts, read 793,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big A View Post
Please don't give me that. Corpus Christi has a Black radio station, Austin has a black radio station.
What stations in Austin and Corpus do you consider Black stations?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or