Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 11:11 AM

16 posts, read 60,668 times

Advertisements

KONO 101 is a great example of radio stations that've fallen. Too much old junk, too few "oldies" and too much "Kool and the Gang" (No offense). They used to play great music back in the day, now it's not even worth listening too. Then: Good time oldies. Now "SA's greatest hits" Not...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 08:53 PM

448 posts, read 919,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasMan77 View Post
KONO 101 is a great example of radio stations that've fallen. Too much old junk, too few "oldies" and too much "Kool and the Gang" (No offense). They used to play great music back in the day, now it's not even worth listening too. Then: Good time oldies. Now "SA's greatest hits" Not...
Yet it's the #1 station in 25-54 year old.

KONO has to adjust with the times. In fact many Oldies stations have either transitions themselves to "Greatest Hits" or have gone a whole new direction. Those days of KONO playing "Good Time Oldies" will never come back.

By late 2011, look for KONO to add more early to mid 80's music. WCBS in NYC is currently doing this.
yes.com

Old 08-30-2010, 11:11 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,433,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAguy View Post
Yet it's the #1 station in 25-54 year old.

KONO has to adjust with the times. In fact many Oldies stations have either transitions themselves to "Greatest Hits" or have gone a whole new direction. Those days of KONO playing "Good Time Oldies" will never come back.

By late 2011, look for KONO to add more early to mid 80's music. WCBS in NYC is currently doing this.
yes.com
They started the 80's a few months back, yeah going to be excitied to hear madonna on KONO.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:11 AM

448 posts, read 919,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
They started the 80's a few months back, yeah going to be excitied to hear madonna on KONO.
Again, I said "more 80's".

Old 08-31-2010, 07:37 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,475,795 times
I don't think any radio station these days can possibly sound good with the steep decline of quality in music recently.

A few years ago, I remember hearing great music when driving in the Austin and San Marcos area. The stations there were playing people like Amy Winehouse who are well known, but aren't really played on the radio (at least not in San Antonio). I have never heard Amy Winehouse or any artist like her on San Antonio radio stations. I like 97.7 more than I like KISS. For some reason, no one can compete with The Beat and that is the only hip hop and r&b station in town; the others are top 40 stations. The Beat keeps a very small selection of songs in its repertoire, so I often hear the same songs almost every hour.

In middle school, I had a teacher who was from Dallas. She said that there were too many Tejano and Country stations here.

I was so relieved to be turned on to NPR by a coworker. The hosts on that station are extremely boring, but it's more fair and balanced than the Fox connected WOAI. I enjoyed 106.7 when it was temporarily a talk radio station because I didn't have to listen to Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, or Joe Pags all day. Joe Pags and Charlie Parker aren't the sharpest tools in the shed.

Last edited by L210; 08-31-2010 at 07:46 AM.. Reason: Added another paragraph.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:31 AM
tcs

218 posts, read 877,058 times
Well I know that this thread has been dormant since late August 2010 but if you want to really know what town has the worst radio market, DFW! Thank God for Pandora.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:47 AM

927 posts, read 1,390,340 times
If you want to really do yourself a favor, get Sirius/XM in your vehicle. The musical choices are vast and far superior to what is offered on the air here or in any city. I got the service in 2005 and I haven't listened to a second of the over the air garbage that passes for radio here in San Antonio since. Believe me you won't regret getting satellite radio.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:00 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bresilhac View Post
If you want to really do yourself a favor, get Sirius/XM in your vehicle. The musical choices are vast and far superior to what is offered on the air here or in any city. I got the service in 2005 and I haven't listened to a second of the over the air garbage that passes for radio here in San Antonio since. Believe me you won't regret getting satellite radio.
I had XM and dropped it a few months after the two services merged. My favorite music channel, Fred, was supplanted by its Sirius equivalent, which wasn't half as good. My favorite talk station was eliminated by some tussle over rights fees. After that happened, I eliminated my subscription and switched to Internet radio at home and terrestrial on the road. I don't find SA radio to be so intolerable while driving.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:47 PM

1,552 posts, read 2,329,513 times
I found the public library to be a great source of novels, music and nonfiction on CDs. Talk radio is inhabited by the likes of Gas Limbag. NPR is ok.

Thus, I get the history of Japan or a good mystery and just drive down the road.

Old 02-10-2011, 05:47 PM

554 posts, read 1,067,421 times
I got Sirius satellite radio about 4 years ago. I loved it at first, and for a couple of years didn't listen to any terestial radio. Even n the last couple of years I have listened to very very little terestial radio. I don't dig Sirius as much as I used to. I guess everything gets old after a while. At first I really loved the great selection of stations, and the selection of music played that you don't hear on terestial radio. But I have come to notice that even on Sirius the playlist is limited, just not as much as on the local stations, so you end up hearing the same stuff over and over. I don't think I will ever get rid of satellite radio because it still beats terestial radio hands down.

I was really surprised after being away from terestial radio for a couple of years that KISS was still playing pretty much the same music. Everything that KZEP plays I am burnt out on, and can't stand to listen to any more. Jack FM seemed really cool when it first came out, but now I hardly listen as I don't think they are that great. Not sure if they changed, or I did. I loved KROCK the short time that they were around before Jack. Now my favorite SA station is KONO. I actually like the fact that they moved away from the 50's and 60's oldies and are playing 70's music now. Maybe because I grew up in the 70's. I dont have satellite radio in my second car, so listen almost exclusively to KONO in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio