Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 08:22 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,103,174 times

Advertisements

Blame deregulation. Allowing ownership groups like San Antonio's own Clear Channel to amass hundreds of radio stations has drained the individuality out of stations.

In San Antonio, the fact that a sizable chunk of stations on the radio dial are devoted to Spanish-language programming really limits the options for those of us who don't speak Spanish.

For years, I balked at paying for radio, but I must admit that I have been much happier listening to the radio since I subscribed to XM last year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 09:08 AM

144 posts, read 686,924 times
Satellite radio is the way to go, Austin music scene vs SA is very different more variety. There Are several JACK FM station across the country that play the same playlist.

Old 09-07-2008, 03:59 PM

131 posts, read 378,926 times
SIRIUS AND XM are well worth the money when the alternative is SA radio stations.

Old 09-07-2008, 04:33 PM

259 posts, read 909,675 times
I wish the audio quality was better. I rented a car a few months ago with Sirius installed and it sounded like a really bad MP3. It sounded so swishy that I tuned to terrestrial radio instead.

Old 09-07-2008, 05:19 PM

140 posts, read 493,736 times
One thing you have to remember is even though we are the 7th largest city we are only the 28th largest metro and 30th in size of radio markets, so forget that we are the 7th largest city. That helps to explain, radio, tv, and many of the other things people talk about on this forum.

Old 09-07-2008, 06:00 PM

27 posts, read 117,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm030 View Post
Thank goodness we are so close to Austin (for their radio stations), and for XM radio.

At work we can only listen to the radio in our office. Everything except the country stations and 91.7 is garbage. How many pop/rap stations do we need. 96.1, 98.5, 106.7 (they all have garbage). Where is the good mixture of music? 102.7 is horrible, they play 70 and 80's rock most of the time. 101.9 and 105.3 are the most conservative stations in the city!

If you can get reception from Austin you are lucky. They have a BIG mixture of stations and music, Something for everyone!

I think the radio in San Antonio sucks!!! How about you?

Yes, BOB FM comes in pretty well, and it beats the hell out of JACK FM.
Ohhh, without reading any other posts, I have to strongly disagree. Outside of Dave, Shelly, and Chainsaw, San Diego radio is horrible! I return about ever month or two and the same music is still being played that was in rotation 5 years ago. San Antonio radio is a refreshing change.

Old 09-07-2008, 06:24 PM

905 posts, read 2,959,029 times
I agree. I never find myself listing to music on the radio. Instead, I use my IPOD, CD's or listen to podcasts. If I do listen to anything live on the radio, it's Rush or to catch up on the news/weather on the hour/half-hour, or the Spurs if they are on and I'm in the car. Even my teenagers say the radio reeks and opt to plug their IPODS in to my adapter for some of us to enjoy their music while driving. My husband listens to the Jim Rome Show and some of the local yokels sports shows, but I find him doing a lot of channel surfing, so that must mean the music stinks to him, too. Now he does love the Austin stations when he's up there. I think there's one that sometimes comes in here that is good, but you can only get it at certain times or in certain locations. In the past, I would listen to Brad Messer on KTSA, and some of the other locally broacast shows. But when they did away with the local shows, I did away with listening to KTSA. I've always listened to Rush, used to listen to Sonny Melendrez, but they got rid of him, too. From now on, it's IPOD all the way.

Old 09-07-2008, 06:27 PM

1,425 posts, read 3,314,921 times
I agree 100%. SA radio stations suck. I only listen to NPR... at least it is current and can be very interesting and informative. I was in Austin this weekend and took advantage of the radio... it was great until I started getting closer to SA and static.

Old 09-07-2008, 08:01 PM

448 posts, read 919,021 times
The only format that SA doesn't have compared to Austin is Alternative(101x). Other than that we have the same formats just on different frequencies.

I would also like to point out that SA has more variety/stations than Austin does.

Old 09-07-2008, 08:47 PM

898 posts, read 2,562,714 times
Add me to the list of Sirius subscribers. The only thing really passable is the SAC radio station and their reception isnt that great. It drives me crazy to listen to KISS or 97.7 and hear only Metallica, Disturbed, and Nirvana all day. How do music stations even stay in business with this crap? I have about 100x more music on my ipod than most radio playlists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio