U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 03:48 AM

272 posts, read 559,663 times

Advertisements

Wah Kee off blanco and 1604. Awesome food with lots of authentic specialties, you normally wouldn't find in SA. I've been going there for years and they always call me by my first name and give excellent service
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 07:54 AM

53 posts, read 119,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
Every once in a while we get someone that does what you're doing...and the same thing happens over and over. He/she alienates a lot of the others and ends up arguing, then leaving.
No, what you're doing is technically not wrong, nor against the site TOS, but it annoys lots of folks...and they'll let you hear about it.
I don't know how better to explain it.

I can explain it. It's like if you don't have thousands of posts then you don't belong here. It's like it their board and your intruding.There the ones who if you don't use a old thread and start a new one their the first ones to point that out.You don't have to read my posts. What's the problem with bringing up an old post and just hitting the last page button and read the fresh new posts. I sure alot of people get turned off by that and don't post again.That's sad especially for San Antonio.

Old 04-10-2009, 08:56 AM

17 posts, read 33,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoddys2 View Post
Delicious-garden dot com is pretty good for take out, they deliver around the stone oak/encino area.

Absolutely ...Delicious Garden has great take-out and dine-in. The food tastes fresh, not greasy like alot of other chinese take-out places. Plus they don't use MSG. Great neighborhood place where the owners remember who you are. It's over on Redland and 1604, not sure how far they deliver to though.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:08 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,552,899 times
For take out I really like PANDA INN on Harry Wurzbach at Rittiman. It's not fancy, trendy or regional, just good old school Chinese/American dishes with good portions at good prices.

Runners up would be KIKU GARDEN and KIM TRAN.

TONG'S THAI has delivery in the Austin Highway area.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:31 AM

1,086 posts, read 2,944,728 times
There seems to be a recurring theme here in SA where Chinese and Pizza places are owned by Greeks or people of other nationalities other than where the food originated from.

I haven't found a decent pizza or Chinese place yet in SA.

I get worried when I start seeing food from Countries other than what should be on the menu...lol

Chinese I go to Pei Wei as it's the only place I found that has Americanized Chinese food that's consistently good.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 05-08-2009, 02:50 PM

616 posts, read 1,853,692 times
I like Hsiu Yu for Chinese and Thai Dee for Thai. Thai Dee delivers, Hsiu Yu not so much.

Old 05-08-2009, 03:09 PM

63 posts, read 207,656 times
I am lucky because my mom is Chinese, therefore I get the authentic food all the time. I did ask her where she and her friends go to if they feel like eating Chinese out. She said that last she knew, Kim Wah on Bandera Rd. has all Chinese staff--the whole family takes part in working at the restaurant. Lately she has tried Formosa Garden and likes their sushi--there are mixed nationalities of employees. This doesn't bother her in the least. She used to eat at Gin's on Evers Rd. all the time. The owner does work in the kitchen, but most of the kitchen staff in Hispanic. If she feels like Thai, she Will eat at Asia Kitchen off of Marbach.

Personally, neither my mom nor I care where they are from as long as the dumplings are hot and the kung pao is kickin'! The only thing my mom really does appreciate is when a restaurant has a bilingual menu, Chinese/English, since she cannot read English. She's been here over 30 years and speaks it just fine though!

Old 05-08-2009, 07:26 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,524,448 times
^^ Why does the Chinese/English menu bother her?

This is the U.S. and the prominent dominant language is English.

Old 05-09-2009, 01:57 AM

63 posts, read 207,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveUrban View Post
^^ Why does the Chinese/English menu bother her?

This is the U.S. and the prominent dominant language is English.
If you read what I wrote, what I said was that she APPRECIATES a bilingual menu because she is English illiterate. Doesn't mean she expects it, just a nice thing whenever it's around. I could go into a lengthy debate as to why many things are bilingual English/Spanish, but that's another issue and frankly, it really doesn't bother me. My mom is an immigrant from Asia who married an American and my husband is an immigrant from Europe who married an American, so I tend to look at things from a more global perspective.

cheers!

OK--just re-read...did you perhaps think I meant that she thought the menu's should be in Chinese only?? If so, that's not what I meant at all. She knows it will be in English, it's just nice when they also have it written in Chinese so she can read the items listed--it's nice for me, too, so I don't have to read everything to her! )

Last edited by Libra1018; 05-09-2009 at 02:02 AM.. Reason: added to post after reading prior response

Old 05-09-2009, 11:18 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,330,359 times
I've been a regular at April's on South Alamo and 35. It's cheap, well-proportioned and quick. The quality of food isn't that of, say, Golden Wok, but it's pretty tasty.

Added, they do a FANTASTIC beef curry. Always a plus in my book

BN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio