Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2009, 07:48 AM

325 posts, read 1,020,124 times

Advertisements

Has anyone here ever lived in Sarasota or near by. What are your opinions of the 2 places. My husband and I need to make a decision, hopefully by this fall. We love the beach and the beauty of Sarasota but have concerns.

I love the super friendly people in Texas and the Hill Country in beautiful. I know these 2 places are so different and it seems funny to be considering 2 places that are so polar opposite. I just feel that San Antonio or Austin Hill Country is home. My husband leans toward Sarasota.

I so appreciate all the advice given on these forums. It is so helpful in narrowing down our choices. Please feel free to give pros and cons.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 08:45 AM

4,263 posts, read 10,820,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinda View Post
Has anyone here ever lived in Sarasota or near by. What are your opinions of the 2 places. My husband and I need to make a decision, hopefully by this fall. We love the beach and the beauty of Sarasota but have concerns.

I love the super friendly people in Texas and the Hill Country in beautiful. I know these 2 places are so different and it seems funny to be considering 2 places that are so polar opposite. I just feel that San Antonio or Austin Hill Country is home. My husband leans toward Sarasota.

I so appreciate all the advice given on these forums. It is so helpful in narrowing down our choices. Please feel free to give pros and cons.

Thank you.
Are you seniors? Sarasota is a great place for seniors. I don't like Florida in general though. Good luck.

Old 05-25-2009, 08:50 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,779,133 times
Just a minor correct, it's just called the Hill Country and portions of SA and the metro area are in it as well.

Old 05-25-2009, 10:24 AM

Default Re: Sarasota

We are in our mid 50's.

Did you ever live in Florida? What don't you like about Sarasota?

What do you like or dislike about where you live now?

Old 05-25-2009, 10:38 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,361,371 times
Hello Pinda. I wish I could offer some help. I've been to Sarasota but never lived there. There is so much to consider before moving other than just comparing the like-ability of a location. Do you have kids in school? What about work? Are you retired? Are you job hunting as well? Do you care about traffic or a commute? Do you want new construction or an older neighborhood? What are your interests ie outdoor sports, golf, social scene? What price range of home?

I'm afraid your question might be too general....and the odds of finding people who have lived in both places might be a bit remote.

Old 05-25-2009, 10:57 AM

4,263 posts, read 10,820,588 times
Quote:
We are in our mid 50's.

Did you ever live in Florida? What don't you like about Sarasota?

What do you like or dislike about where you live now?
I had a corporate condo in FL for a while. Your questions are wayyyy to general.
Use search function and you'll quickly discover what folks like and don't like about San Antonio.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:42 AM

My husband can transfer to just about any airport in the country, so jobs are not a concern. We are in our mid 50's and will be working for awhile yet but are empty nesters.

We like nature and walking and the water. I like quiet neighborhoods within 30 minutes of the airport and hopefully larger lots, 1 or 2 acres, around $300,000. That seems obtainable on the outskirts of San Antonio or Austin but not in Sarasota.

The draw to Sarasota is the gulf. The beach is gorgeous, but everyday life living around really nice people is more important to me and having a decent home for our family to visit is important too.

Both have their draws, but I am excited about Texas.

I have been reading posts for so long, but just recently started looking at the San Antonio posts because there is a possible transfer opportunity there.

Where would anyone suggest we live within 30 minutes of the airport with nice size lots. I keep reading how Boerne and NB are so nice. Are they too far.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:30 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,408,536 times
Quote:
My husband can transfer to just about any airport in the country, so jobs are not a concern. We are in our mid 50's and will be working for awhile yet but are empty nesters.

We like nature and walking and the water. I like quiet neighborhoods within 30 minutes of the airport and hopefully larger lots, 1 or 2 acres, around $300,000. That seems obtainable on the outskirts of San Antonio or Austin but not in Sarasota.

The draw to Sarasota is the gulf. The beach is gorgeous, but everyday life living around really nice people is more important to me and having a decent home for our family to visit is important too.

Both have their draws, but I am excited about Texas.

I have been reading posts for so long, but just recently started looking at the San Antonio posts because there is a possible transfer opportunity there.

Where would anyone suggest we live within 30 minutes of the airport with nice size lots. I keep reading how Boerne and NB are so nice. Are they too far.
NB is doable, Boerne is not.

Old 05-25-2009, 02:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,769 times
My fiance and I moved from Sarasota to San Antonio about a year ago. We lived in Sarasota for three years, but had to move here for our jobs. Sarasota is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. It is honestly like paradise. Siesta Key beach is featured on the Travel Channel all the time! The big drawback for us though was the average age of the folks who live there. Sarasota (like a lot of cities in Florida) has the nickname "heaven's waiting room." Nothing stays open late - including the grocery stores! There is certainly more to do in San Antonio. Plus, there is so much culture here, I feel blessed to have the opportunity to experience it. As far as the kindness of people, I would (without one doubt) rank San Antonio far above Sarasota. People here are much friendlier, and the cost of living here is ridiculously cheaper than Sarasota. You would absolutely find a more affordable house here. If you have to make the choice between the two cities, I would say you should decide if you prefer a beautiful city that would make you believe paradise exists, or a fun, affordable city full of culture and kind people. Good luck! I think you win with either choice!

Old 05-25-2009, 02:50 PM

Default Thanks

That is great you love both places so much in different ways. Thank you so much for your comments about the 2 places. Your impressions are what I have gleaned from my visits and reading the forums. I just didn't know if I would find someone that lived in both. I did not spend time in San Antonio, just drove through. I wish I would have looked into it more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio