U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 06:40 PM

4,263 posts, read 6,835,585 times
You all have flood insurance, right? Thought so.

Old 09-08-2008, 06:41 PM
djw

951 posts, read 1,887,564 times
I don't wish the storm on anyone else, but I really don't want it to hit here either. My poor son has a birthday this weekend. First it was 9/11 that screwed things up a bit, then Hurricane Ivan when we were in Pensacola. Now he's got a really cool day planned Saturday after last year's bust of a birthday and there's this threat. *sigh* I'm getting tired of him asking "why is MY birthday always messed up?"
Trust me, we've had the "some folks don't have birthdays, or homes, or whatever..." talk - but he is a kid!!

I gotta say, KSAT's Steve Browne is usually dead on....
100 mph winds...shoot, I'm buying some rope and water and candles!

Old 09-08-2008, 06:45 PM

13,581 posts, read 21,120,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djw View Post
I don't wish the storm on anyone else, but I really don't want it to hit here either. My poor son has a birthday this weekend. First it was 9/11 that screwed things up a bit, then Hurricane Ivan when we were in Pensacola. Now he's got a really cool day planned Saturday after last year's bust of a birthday and there's this threat. *sigh* I'm getting tired of him asking "why is MY birthday always messed up?"
Trust me, we've had the "some folks don't have birthdays, or homes, or whatever..." talk - but he is a kid!!

Do his 1/2 birthday instead. We used to do that for our neighbor kid--his birthday was 12/25 and we used to give him his "half birthday" on 6/25--half a cake even! He loved it, since he was being raised by a single dad that really didn't think much of birthday nonsense.

Old 09-08-2008, 06:48 PM

140 posts, read 354,230 times
gosh i bet batteries will be something i should add to my gotta get at the store list!

Old 09-08-2008, 06:57 PM

13,581 posts, read 21,120,624 times
I think it's lucky to have it happen on a weekend.....at least a lot of people won't get stranded at work/have to argue with a boss about why they can't make it to work/or be stranded on the road.

Stay safe, everyone! Better to be safe than sorry when it comes to stuff like this. And when it comes to supplies, etc. better to have and not need, than need and not have. You can return stuff afterwards if you don't use it, or save it for the next situation.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:02 PM

3,542 posts, read 5,440,974 times
For those of you worried about the pending hurricane threat to San Antonio... just exercise daily common sense.

That is, secure your lawn furniture.. and finish your yard work. Do your part to prevent any unnecessary projectiles.

Other than that... prepare for a run of the mill power outage. That is, go to the store.. buy nonperishable foods to get you through a few days... candles... batteries... medicine.

The storm is still over 1000 miles away and a lot can change between now and this weekend. Again.. a worst case scenario for us would be one heck of a windy day.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:10 PM

835 posts, read 823,895 times
Quote:

I hope for his sake it comes in late late on sat. Poor kid!

Old 09-08-2008, 07:12 PM

2,368 posts, read 3,375,383 times
Does anyone know if San Antonio has ever experienced 100mph winds before?

Old 09-08-2008, 07:17 PM

13 posts, read 37,950 times
I can hear school kids across the city hoping for sweeping power outages that force all the schools to close. Oh, and a few teachers as well.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:42 PM

3,698 posts, read 5,133,070 times
Quote:
Awww, poor kid! I hope he gets his birthday celebration! I know it can be rescheduled, but it's not the same
A colleague of mine also has a birthday this weekend and had planned to go away, but thanks to Ike, we're all working again.

Two hurricanes in a row, a little too much like Katrina & Rita. Hopefully this one will be better.

Happy birthday to your son!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio