U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 09:58 AM

11,934 posts, read 12,810,012 times

Advertisements

Have you tried Ste Genevieve? It's a Texas wine. I like the Sweet red with Sprite, Hubby likes the Sweet Moscato. We also tried a sample of 24/7 ( ??) at HEB plus. It's a tall blue bottle. I think thats my favorite. Just something about it. No sprite, just chilled. Drink a whole bottle by myself!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 10:34 AM

338 posts, read 1,129,768 times
I have seen that one at the HEB plus also. I was tempted to buy it.

Old 09-09-2008, 11:25 AM

732 posts, read 3,364,632 times
Gewerstraminer or Moscato wines tend to be sweet.

If you're really lucky - you'll find a Moscato d'asti (sparkling) - very refreshing!

Old 09-09-2008, 02:00 PM

17 posts, read 50,458 times
I'm like you....I prefer sweet wines even if they're not really for drinking with meals. Sister Creek Vineyards in Sisterdale has some good sweet wines. Their wines are sold in S.A. stores, but take a little drive out there and sample their wines if you don't want to spend the $15-20 per bottle. Twin Springs has both a Sweet Red and Sweet White. They're at most HEBs and are under $10 (sweet and cheap!!). If you're ever on a road trip east of town, Rosemary's Vineyard in LaGrange (off of Highway 71 south of town) also has good sweet wines.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:34 PM

343 posts, read 1,175,220 times
You could also try Wimberly Wines - Texas Wine Cellars. They are pretty good and sweet. Not too sweet. I have found them lately at the HEB's at 1604/Culebra and 1604/Bandera. I think they are about $7 a bottle.

If you are ever in Greune, you could sample them there and other wines and you could also buy them there.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:13 AM

345 posts, read 1,386,749 times
Or if you like strawberry, take a drive to the Poteet Country Winery (in Poteet of course) and buy some of their strawberry wine. A neighbor that currently lives across the street from me is originally from Poteet and brought a few bottles back. When they learned I was from S.A. they gave me one. Good stuff.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:23 AM

I will make the trip to both sisterdale, and poteet. Both are place we used to go when i was younger, with my folks. Will definitely bring back memories.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:41 AM

13 posts, read 47,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrockmedia View Post
Does anyone know of good sweet wines? And where to get them here in S.A? I have been to World Market recently, but do not want to buy a bottle and it end up being bitter. If its one thing I cannot stand is a real bitter wine. Any suggestions?
There are also port wines, like Messina Hof, a good Texas vineyard. Two of my favorite dessert wines are Elektra Orange Muskat and Olalieberry from Chaucer Vineyards in California. A good wine store should carry one or both

We are on a Water to Wine kick here. They have a broad selection of low sulfite wines (my wife is allergic) made from surplus grape juices purchased from vineyards around the world. Check out their local stores in Castle Hills or Boerne. They have a number of sweet wines. AND the wine tasting is free! Water 2 Wine Custom Winery

Old 09-10-2008, 01:20 PM

345 posts, read 1,386,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outside the loop View Post
We are on a Water to Wine kick here. They have a broad selection of low sulfite wines (my wife is allergic) made from surplus grape juices purchased from vineyards around the world.
Wow, I'll have to tell my friend about this. She's allergic as well. It always makes me laugh when she has to take a Benedryl to drink a glass of wine! If it were me, I'd be a puddle on the floor after taking an antihistimine AND alcohol, LOL.

Old 09-10-2008, 02:14 PM

Wow as well. I will have to let one of my closest friends know of that too. Did not know that tidbit of information. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or