U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 08:21 PM

2,216 posts, read 3,995,684 times

Advertisements

Yep, when I heard this every parent with a middle schooler raised an eyebrow with a look that said "wow, never thought of that". Please spread the word on that one!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 10:16 PM

36 posts, read 85,631 times
I'm glad you're son is okay. This is so scary, I live off of Hunt Lane. And I like you am always keeping an eye on my 5 year old, but there are times I've turned away briefly and you're right it only takes a split second. Thank you for posting this. I will not let my child out of my sight ever again. There are some sick people out there, it seems they've been coming out of the woodwork alot lately.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:26 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,894,255 times
For some reason this is the one lesson that most children do not catch on to. We have had police do a practice session where they try to get the children to go with them. Most children will go with the stranger. I am so glad your child is all right and you turned around fast enough.

Old 09-08-2008, 11:14 PM

1,365 posts, read 3,980,117 times
so glad your son is okay ---

i, myself, was almost abducted 2 times as a child --- once i was 7 and the other time i was 12 --- both of these incidences left lasting impressions on me and because of it i never, ever, ever let my kids outside alone --- if they want to ride bikes or scooters that's fine by me, but either myself or my husband are outside sitting in the driveway watching them...

maybe next time you can walk with him to the mailbox but let him hold the dog's leash and let him pick up the poop by himself, that way you are still teaching responsibility but you are also right there near him --- i'm not flaming you, i am only making a suggestion...

my dh is a police officer and he comes home with horrible stories of calls that went out on the police radio --- kids reported missing, abducted, hit by cars, bit by loose dogs, kids who fell into swimming pools and drowned --- IMO, it's just not worth the risk ---

Old 09-09-2008, 04:28 AM

604 posts, read 1,372,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstxcop View Post
so glad your son is okay ---

i, myself, was almost abducted 2 times as a child --- once i was 7 and the other time i was 12 --- both of these incidences left lasting impressions on me and because of it i never, ever, ever let my kids outside alone --- if they want to ride bikes or scooters that's fine by me, but either myself or my husband are outside sitting in the driveway watching them...

maybe next time you can walk with him to the mailbox but let him hold the dog's leash and let him pick up the poop by himself, that way you are still teaching responsibility but you are also right there near him --- i'm not flaming you, i am only making a suggestion...

my dh is a police officer and he comes home with horrible stories of calls that went out on the police radio --- kids reported missing, abducted, hit by cars, bit by loose dogs, kids who fell into swimming pools and drowned --- IMO, it's just not worth the risk ---
I havent been able to get the possibilities out of my head, despite what we thought we had taught our children, he fell for the whole "dog" thing. Do you know of any type of Police dept stranger danger progrmas that we can enlist the kids in- you know- something that will really affect the kids and make them listen, other than buying those videos....

Old 09-09-2008, 05:50 AM

1,532 posts, read 3,343,469 times
This scares me more than you can imagine. As a matter of fact, as soon as I read this post, I talked to my son about strangers and I was surprised to see that he had remembered from a while back when we had that talk. I think the key is to keep talking and talking to them about it. Nic, I think you are right, that incident should make an impact on your kids. We live off of Potranco too and that is really scary. Oh, and I bet the police warn the surrounding schools about that incident too. Thank you for the warning though!

OH, and I wanted to say, the place that we just moved from had a GREAT program for kids and stranger danger and how to protect themselves. I wonder if the SAPD has anything like that?

Old 09-09-2008, 07:12 AM

1,512 posts, read 2,616,395 times
I'm not trying to start something, but if you're even 25-50 feet away from a child and someone drives up, snatches the child, and drives away, do you think you'll be able to catch up before they're gone? My point is, just because you're watching from the window doesn't mean the child is safe.

--Dim

Old 09-09-2008, 07:20 AM

14,628 posts, read 31,226,142 times
What do you do if someone breaks in to your house and snatches your child? If someone wants your kid bad enough, there is no safe place or distance. I don't think this mother needs flaming.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:23 AM

1,081 posts, read 1,474,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latteluv View Post
I'm glad you're son is okay. This is so scary, I live off of Hunt Lane. And I like you am always keeping an eye on my 5 year old, but there are times I've turned away briefly and you're right it only takes a split second. Thank you for posting this. I will not let my child out of my sight ever again. There are some sick people out there, it seems they've been coming out of the woodwork alot lately.
I have to disagree with this. I don't think there are more pedophiles now than 'in the good ole days', I think the differences are that we no longer tolerate the 'weird Uncle' or the neighbor who lets all the kids play in his garage or Grandpa or whomever. That combined with the power of the media giving us INSTANT communication from all over the world, it just brings every incident to the public's attention. Used to be that you would hear stories of stories that happened to someone a town over that happened a couple weeks back. Not every exact incident 10 minutes after it happens. If this is the only stand this generation takes and makes a difference in, then I am proud to have been a part of it. (I have personally been responsible for sending 2 pedophiles to prison)

Old 09-09-2008, 07:29 AM

1,289 posts, read 3,344,351 times
Did you get his license plate?

I realize this happened pretty fast but its the best way for the cops to track these types of pervs down and get them off the street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio