Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 08:40 AM

604 posts, read 1,524,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
What do you do if someone breaks in to your house and snatches your child? If someone wants your kid bad enough, there is no safe place or distance. I don't think this mother needs flaming.
Thank you sapphire,your right the last thing I need is someone who does not know me making judgement. For people who do know me, they know that I am over bearing of my kids and it is actually somewhat of a joke in our family. I was going against what I felt was right and trying to give my son a longer leash so to speak. I will never go against what I feel is right for me again. And yes I do think that even if he was less than a block away and would have been snatched- I could of got to him! I have been in emergency situations where my adrenalin has kicked in and have had incredible strength- and there would have been no stopping me. I hope we all dont get off track on this, the point of the post is to make everyone aware, learn from my mistakes if you will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmanm View Post
Did you get his license plate?

I realize this happened pretty fast but its the best way for the cops to track these types of pervs down and get them off the street.
I had just taken out my contacts about 30 mns prior I could see the make and color of the truck (old white 2 door chevorlet truck) but I could not make the plate, that is certainly something I would have gotten if I could of seen it!
He also had ladders in the back of the truck.My son gave a pretty good description- however it was pretty generic: Brown skin (hispanic-like the police officer-those were the officers words) and black hair, and not skinny- and not with muscles- just big.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:46 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,774,862 times
My hunch is that most pedophiles are cowardly. They don't want to snatch a child by breaking into a house where they might get shot or otherwise attacked by a parent defending his/her family. And they don't want to deal with parents chasing them down the street, either. They want to lure compliant children into their cars or houses and they want to get away with their bad deeds without anyone noticing. So the more we accompany our children when they are outside and the more we teach them to be vigilant, the less likely they will be the target of some sick predatory monster.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:50 AM

673 posts, read 2,710,246 times
Children are good-hearted. Children respond to perceived authority. Children forget. A few things to regularly drill into your child:

- Run away from strangers and toward a safety zone: X, X, X
- These are the ONLY people who can order you: X, X, X
- These are the ONLY people who can pick you up: X, X, X
- If someone approaches you away from home saying they've been instructed to pick you up, 1) ask someone in authority what's going on, 2) have a code word
- If you get lost, look for someone with a badge. If you can't find someone, stay in the same place.
- Use these phone numbers if in trouble: X, X, X
- The only people who get to see or touch your private parts are: X, X, X
- If someone makes you uncomfortable, tell your parents.

It's a good idea to put safety instructions in writing. Put authorities, safe zones, phone numbers, etc. in your child's school bag, gym bag, etc. Put basic contact info on your child for any outings where you could get or will be separated.

Also, make sure your contact info is always up to date with any place you leave your child and that you have their numbers on your speed dial.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:53 AM

14,637 posts, read 34,882,947 times
There are countless cases where children have been taken from their own homes, with their parents in the house. Ever heard of Polly Klaus? The little girl recently in Florida? Pedophiles are opportunists more than anything.

That said, the thread should not turn into a parent-bashing. We've all done things as parents and as people that were not perfect. Please. She's doing the right thing by making people aware of an awful situation.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
There are countless cases where children have been taken from their own homes, with their parents in the house. Ever heard of Polly Klaus? The little girl recently in Florida? Pedophiles are opportunists more than anything.

That said, the thread should not turn into a parent-bashing. We've all done things as parents and as people that were not perfect. Please. She's doing the right thing by making people aware of an awful situation.
I don't think there are "countless cases" of this. There are awful, rare cases of kidnapping a child from her/his home. That's why we can remember the names of the victims...it doesn't happen very often.

It is much more common for pedophiles to work in secret.

And no, I don't want the thread to be parent bashing, either.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
My hunch is that most pedophiles are cowardly. They don't want to snatch a child by breaking into a house where they might get shot or otherwise attacked by a parent defending his/her family. And they don't want to deal with parents chasing them down the street, either. They want to lure compliant children into their cars or houses and they want to get away with their bad deeds without anyone noticing. So the more we accompany our children when they are outside and the more we teach them to be vigilant, the less likely they will be the target of some sick predatory monster.

Everyday my husband and I ride bikes with the kids, on the weekends we do family walks with the dog and kids. We ARE outside with them constantly. However both of my boys have expressed wanting time alone to walk the dog, so I thought I could accomplish giving them "time alone" while unknown to them, I would watch from the window. I dont think it was a bad choice and I dont think that by constantly accompaning my children that I am teaching them to be vigilant- they need to know what to do and how to handle unexpected situations. We have had countless talks, acting it out, lectures on what to do if a stranger approaches and all of the different things they will tell you, we have come up with a family pass word- we have talked with them until they are visibley tired of us!!! The point is- when the real thing happend--none of it stuck with him, he knows karate---I dont think he really knew what has happening-that- THIS was one of those situations.
Make your judgements, fine- I just hope that posting my error will prevent it from happening to your kids.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:07 AM

734 posts, read 3,004,812 times
How scary! I would be petrified after that.

However - in response to some of the other comments, personally I can't say "I won't ever let my child out of my sight again!" That really isn't possible. I realize it's scary and anything can happen, but the odds are so low. I would be doing a disservice to my child by not allowing his freedom. It's your choice how you do it, and yes my kid plays outside all day up and down our neighborhood without me standing watch over him (he's 7.)

But we will be having a family lesson on what to do about strangers, it's always a good idea to have a refresher course on that. I also am more concerned about people they do know - more things happen from the "nice guy next door" than the random stranger.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasa101 View Post
Everyday my husband and I ride bikes with the kids, on the weekends we do family walks with the dog and kids. We ARE outside with them constantly. However both of my boys have expressed wanting time alone to walk the dog, so I thought I could accomplish giving them "time alone" while unknown to them, I would watch from the window. I dont think it was a bad choice and I dont think that by constantly accompaning my children that I am teaching them to be vigilant- they need to know what to do and how to handle unexpected situations. We have had countless talks, acting it out, lectures on what to do if a stranger approaches and all of the different things they will tell you, we have come up with a family pass word- we have talked with them until they are visibley tired of us!!! The point is- when the real thing happend--none of it stuck with him, he knows karate---I dont think he really knew what has happening-that- THIS was one of those situations.
Make your judgements, fine- I just hope that posting my error will prevent it from happening to your kids.
I'm not making any judgment about you at all. I think this is a really hard subject and we all do the best we can. And I am sure that even with the education and role plays that I have done with my children, there are many situations where they would forget it all.

My son is only five and he is already upset with me that I don't want him to ride his bicycle alone. Some day I may make the choice to let him go without me, and I'll worry a lot. There are no easy answers.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:17 AM

14,637 posts, read 34,882,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
I don't think there are "countless cases" of this. There are awful, rare cases of kidnapping a child from her/his home. That's why we can remember the names of the victims...it doesn't happen very often.

It is much more common for pedophiles to work in secret.

And no, I don't want the thread to be parent bashing, either.
My point was that it does happen. Once is too many times. You stated that pedophiles are cowardly (according to your hunch) and I don't think they are. Sneaky, disgusting, sick, but not cowardly. They have urges they can't control, which makes them very capable of having the gall to do some of the things they do to satisfy those urges. I wouldn't have the nerve to try and take a child in broad daylight, let alone climb into their window at night with a potential shotgun of an angry father pointing down my nose. Cowardly? Not in my opinion.

We can take this to DM's if you'd like. No sense turning an info thread into our discussion of pedophiles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio