U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 06:46 PM

604 posts, read 1,368,076 times

Advertisements

He is out there- I got a dm from someone who lives in my subdivision and they said that one week before my post- they had a similar incident with a white truck following their son while he rode his bike. The boy rode home and the parents went looking for the truck- but he was gone. So the same man was in our neighborhood one week before trying to get my son, just looking for a kid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 07:41 PM

24 posts, read 71,684 times
There is a sex offender website where you can look up the sex offenders in your neighborhood and by zip code. I was impressed at how many dots came up for the 78253 zip code and in the areas of Culebra, 1604,151, and Potranco. I panic if my 4 year old doesn't answer me when he is in the house much less outside. I don't allow him anywhere other than the fenced back yard behind a locked 6 foot privacy fence with out me. The only reason he goes out there is no one can get too him (with out a decent amount of effort) and the rear of my house is all windows so he is in my view constantly. I am also impressed at how many young kids roam my neighborhood with no supervision at all. I think there is a false sense of security because we live in a quiet, gated community that elementary school age children are safe to wander unsupervised.That always amazes me considering all of the strangers in our neighborhood due to homes being built and people coming by to look at those homes. Anyone could abduct or kill those kids and the parents wouldn't realize what happened until hours later. Hopefully a neighbor would see something and step into help the kid or provide the police with some information.

Old 09-20-2008, 09:24 AM

24 posts, read 71,684 times
Default Wording Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloratura View Post
There is a sex offender website where you can look up the sex offenders in your neighborhood and by zip code. I was impressed at how many dots came up for the 78253 zip code and in the areas of Culebra, 1604,151, and Potranco. I panic if my 4 year old doesn't answer me when he is in the house much less outside. I don't allow him anywhere other than the fenced back yard behind a locked 6 foot privacy fence with out me. The only reason he goes out there is no one can get too him (with out a decent amount of effort) and the rear of my house is all windows so he is in my view constantly. I am also impressed at how many young kids roam my neighborhood with no supervision at all. I think there is a false sense of security because we live in a quiet, gated community that elementary school age children are safe to wander unsupervised.That always amazes me considering all of the strangers in our neighborhood due to homes being built and people coming by to look at those homes. Anyone could abduct or kill those kids and the parents wouldn't realize what happened until hours later. Hopefully a neighbor would see something and step into help the kid or provide the police with some information.
I was tired when I was posting last night, I meant surprised versus impressed for how many sex offenders are in the area and surprised at how many young kids I see in the neighborhood unsupervised.

Here is the address of the site I referenced if any of you want to check it out. There are also a couple other websites tracking registered/convicted sex offenders by area.
National Sex Offender Registry

Old 09-20-2008, 01:36 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,003,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloratura View Post
I was tired when I was posting last night, I meant surprised versus impressed for how many sex offenders are in the area and surprised at how many young kids I see in the neighborhood unsupervised.

Here is the address of the site I referenced if any of you want to check it out. There are also a couple other websites tracking registered/convicted sex offenders by area.
National Sex Offender Registry

The DPS registry is better, they add offender's pictures. that way we know what those SOB's look like.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:55 AM

129 posts, read 270,149 times
I'm transferring to San Antonio next year and just for the heck of it, did some research on sex offenders in SA. I have to tell you, compared to MN, where I am from, it is unbelievable the number of sex offenders in SA. If you go to this site, https://records.txdps.state.tx.us/DP...New/index.aspx and search by zip code, and show by map, not text, it looks like the entire city is nothing but sex offenders (maybe not quite that bad, but pretty bad). Dozens of them in almost all the neighborhoods. Really scary.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:20 AM

94 posts, read 200,976 times
Wow you are VERY lucky!! Many people have been kidnapped by being pulled into a vehicle. If they can get one hand on you and pull you in, then they can drive away quickly. The child/person only needs to be close enough to grab them and they can be yanked in. The car speeds off and you have no chance. I am not flaming, but the fact is that a child walking alone is like eye candy to a pedophile. Obviously they did not know you were watching from the window, but why risk it? I know that a lot of people think I'm overprotective but that's ok. I'd rather be guilty of that. Call me crazy, but my children are not allowed to step one toe out the front door without me. We have a large fenced in backyard and they play there. Also, my kids are not allowed to open the front door if someone rings or knocks. It is true that people can also break in and steal your kids. But that is not a good reason for me to let them outside freely in the front yard. I protect all areas that are within my grasp. By the way, this is not just for kids. I had a friend in college who was jogging one day when a van drove by. They slowed down, opened the door, and grabbed her. They never stopped driving. They raped her in the van while driving around. Then they slowed down and dumped her back out again. They were caught b/c somehow she got the license plate . Anyway, call me paranoid and my kids will say they were too sheltered but I never let them go out front. Last year sometime a little girl was kidnapped out of her front yard while playing with friends!

Old 08-10-2009, 12:07 PM

8,400 posts, read 20,085,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synch390 View Post
I'm transferring to San Antonio next year and just for the heck of it, did some research on sex offenders in SA. I have to tell you, compared to MN, where I am from, it is unbelievable the number of sex offenders in SA. If you go to this site, https://records.txdps.state.tx.us/DP...New/index.aspx and search by zip code, and show by map, not text, it looks like the entire city is nothing but sex offenders (maybe not quite that bad, but pretty bad). Dozens of them in almost all the neighborhoods. Really scary.
You are over-reacting to the data. For one, have you ever considered that maybe Texas does a better job of tracking sex offenders than Minnesota?

Secondly, despite what you may think, there is no abundance of sexual abductions or crimes in this town; or at least more so than any populated area of its size.

Lastly, if things were so bad here, do you really think this city--which is one of the fasting growing in the country--would be so popular? The same goes for the rumors of the bad crime, rampant killings and drug useage, and all the other BS that SA is the target of. About the worse thing about this town is the lousy drivers, and even compared to some places (D.C., etc) they aren't that bad. But I also moved here from Germany ten years ago--and again four years ago from Belgium--and there was no huge cultural shock except for the differences in climate!

I honestly think a lot of these rumors are generated by the locals to try and keep the massive number of people from moving here!

Old 08-10-2009, 02:43 PM

129 posts, read 270,149 times
Hmmm. Maybe you are right about Texas possibly tracking them better... I really wasn't worried about sex offenders til I saw the map... then I was quite shocked. it won't deter me from moving here, I just think I may try to rent where less of the dots are... :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio