U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 10:47 PM

4,794 posts, read 10,064,228 times

Advertisements

I guess I don't shop often enough (but I hate grocery shopping in general!)....but what is a "meal deal"?

After living in DFW for over 15 years, HEB was a welcomed change. I do feel the store layout is very annoying however....but I'm in the design biz and know that it's about "marketing" and not ease for the consumer. That's pretty much across the board with most any retail store. I just wish they would find one store plan and stick with it! I really hate visiting a new store and trying to figure out where everything is. There really is some sense to what some claim is lack of creativity. Walking in a store in Austin that has the same layout as San Antonio will help me shop better....I'll find what I want and linger longer because of the familiarity....not walk out tired and frustrated with only half my list filled.

As far as their own brands.....I personally feel they are way above standards compared to other stores and their brands. Every store has them....HEB is no exception.

Some of these complaints seem to be more about grocery chains in general, not especially specific to HEB.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2007, 11:10 PM

2,280 posts, read 4,243,128 times
Living in DFW currently makes me pine for HEB, especially #1 oak park. They have the freshest produce, the best bakery and boar's head deli. I got together with some other San Antonian's here in Dallas and brought the Texas-shaped chips from central market here and one of the girls almost cried she missed HEB that much.

Old 03-23-2007, 11:27 PM

13,743 posts, read 5,438,383 times
Default HEB in DFW?

I know of some folks in the DFW area that will drive down to the HEB's closest to the metroplex...Waxahachie, Ennis or Cleburne. They're all roughly 30 miles or so south of either downtown Dallas or downtown Fort Worth.

There have been articles printed in the Fort Worth Star Telegram that mention a new HEB in Burleson right near the Tarrant County line. If that's true, then this will be the furthest north that HEB has ventured into the DFW market and it might also be a test store to gauge how well they will be received in the area. So far, they've been reluctant to take the plunge because of how saturated the market is with grocery stores.

Old 03-23-2007, 11:36 PM

73 posts, read 309,972 times
I actually prefer the HEB brand of several items and I don't usually like store brands.

Old 03-24-2007, 12:24 AM

3,823 posts, read 9,965,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
...As far as their own brands.....I personally feel they are way above standards compared to other stores and their brands. Every store has them....HEB is no exception...
Same goes for the military commissaries with generic brands...so, I guess this practice is everywhere around here.

Old 03-24-2007, 08:16 AM

196 posts, read 515,605 times
I am new to SA and HEB. Just wondering, is the house brand HEB or Hill Country? I see a lot of Hill Country products in HEB, kinda positioned like a house brand?

Old 03-24-2007, 04:43 PM

49 posts, read 184,537 times
A "Meal Deal" at HEB is where you buy one or two key items at the regular price and get "tie in" items to round out a meal for free. They have a very popular one they run at Memorial Day and again at 4th of July......HEB precooked brisket at the regular price and sausage, barbecue sauce, buns, mustard, ice cream etc free. There are no limits and they run a week or two. The freebies are usually HEB or Hill Country Farm brands. Other deals have been Breakfast Tacos... buy the eggs and bacon...get tortillas, chese and refried beans free. Hamburger Meal....buy the meat, get buns, ketchup, pickles, chips. Thanksgiving....buy the turkey ( sometimes they run one for spiral cut ham) and get sweet potatoes, rolls, cranberry sauce etc free. I always check the Meal Deals when I shop at HEB. If there is an item I dont need or have any use for, I pass it on to a friend or a food bank.

Old 03-24-2007, 08:02 PM

3,823 posts, read 9,965,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LionT View Post
I am new to SA and HEB. Just wondering, is the house brand HEB or Hill Country? I see a lot of Hill Country products in HEB, kinda positioned like a house brand?
Hill Country is HEB's generic own brand. Hmmm, I wonder where they got that catchy name?

Old 03-24-2007, 10:03 PM

196 posts, read 515,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
Hill Country is HEB's generic own brand. Hmmm, I wonder where they got that catchy name?
I see. Thks.

Old 03-25-2007, 02:13 AM

3,542 posts, read 5,581,660 times
HEB is really nice in my opinion. Maybe I'm spoiled -- I go to the Lincoln Heights HEB on Broadway and Basse
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio