Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 02:04 PM

4,323 posts, read 7,227,798 times

Advertisements

In the early years of DirecTV and Dish Network, they didn't offer any local network affiliate stations. They did offer network feeds, but they were restricted to customers in areas that were too far from a network affiliate station's transmitter to receive a signal (i.e. waaaaay out in the boondocks).

As the satellite providers began offering local stations in some markets, the customers who had the network feeds in those markets were no longer eligible to receive the network feeds. (Even people out in the middle of nowhere are considered to be in some city's local market.) Customers who were too close to a transmitter to be eligible for the network feeds had to use an antenna, or subscribe to basic Cable if they wanted network affiliates until the satellite providers offered them in their markets.

So even if TW Cable is willing to offer an ABC feed from some other market, I'm not sure they can legally do so. Seems the local stations have exclusive rights to broadcast programming from the networks they are affiliated with in their market area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 08:59 PM

42 posts, read 210,427 times
Cable Wars: NBC Stations Will Ditch Time Warner Cable Unless They See Some Cash (http://consumerist.com/5056294/nbc-stations-will-ditch-time-warner-cable-unless-they-see-some-cash - broken link)

One of my favorite websites to read and look what I came across.. Paints TWC in a whole different light.

Mig

Old 10-01-2008, 08:41 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,093,737 times
Jeanne Jakle said today in her column that a Time-Warner rep claims that they've made significant progress in their negotiations with KSAT over the past week.

Old 10-02-2008, 12:55 PM

8 posts, read 26,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
Also, SA businesses that wanted to advertise would go to CC for their commercials, which for now would be cheaper as CC is a cheaper venue than SA, and it would build up that market.
I don't think that the KSAT Experts (Ex: Beyer Boys, Bjorns) do not necessarily want to advertise in Austin or CC... how economical would it be for a medium-sized HVAC firm to send vans to and from CC or Austin? Do you think Bjorns wants to draw consumers from Austin or CC... that is, make them drive all the way to SA when they could easily go to their nearest specialty electronics dealer (Ex: Fry's of Austin)?

Old 10-03-2008, 05:18 PM
djw

951 posts, read 2,833,870 times
I haven't read the whole thread, just caught the beginning a while back.
I'm watching KSAT news (via ATT) and they are really having a passive-aggressive fun time with talking about how each of the anchors has dish or direct TV and how none of them have cable anymore.
Kinda fun to watch!

Old 10-04-2008, 09:27 AM

64 posts, read 280,809 times
I hope this question has not been asked already - sorry if it has. What happened to Nancy Gonzales on KSAT? Just curious.

Old 10-04-2008, 09:49 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,093,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AR Newbie View Post
I hope this question has not been asked already - sorry if it has. What happened to Nancy Gonzales on KSAT? Just curious.
Here's your answer.

Edmund Tijerina: KSAT anchor Gonzalez is saying goodbye after a dozen years (http://www.mysanantonio.com/entertainment/tv/KSAT_anchor_Gonzalez_is_saying_goodbye_after_a_doz en_years.html - broken link)

Old 10-04-2008, 10:46 AM

64 posts, read 280,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Here's your answer.

Edmund Tijerina: KSAT anchor Gonzalez is saying goodbye after a dozen years (http://www.mysanantonio.com/entertainment/tv/KSAT_anchor_Gonzalez_is_saying_goodbye_after_a_doz en_years.html - broken link)
Thank you! I still think it is odd they only have one anchor on right now.

Old 10-04-2008, 12:18 PM

Location: 281 north of 1604 - otherwise known as traffic hell
450 posts, read 1,598,435 times
seems more likely that KSAT won't give. KXAN in austin just went dark on TW.

good for them.

switch to better technology - dish - and be happy once and for all (cheaper too).

Austinist: KXAN/LIN-TV vs TWC: Austinist Interviews Jeff Simmermon, Director of Digital Communications for Time Warner Cable

Old 10-04-2008, 09:05 PM

898 posts, read 2,894,143 times
looks like there are around 11 days left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio