U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 02:33 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,007,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
I dare any HD KSAT news watcher to change the channel to KENS 5 HD during the local news and see if you can bring yourself to switch back. The picture quality is like comparing apples with spoiled meat. I'm not a huge fan of the news people on KENS 5, but the picture quality is just THAT much better. I do like the male anchor that's on in the evening. He blurts out his opinion of stories sometimes and I usually agree and also find it entertaining.
I hate channel 5 this past cowboy's game was brodcasted on CBS HD and it was the crappiest game I ever saw, they arent worth of showing football games, soccer maybe but not the COWBOYS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 02:53 PM

13,807 posts, read 26,295,799 times
you could draw the cowgirls in B&W stick figures for all I care..

Old 10-09-2008, 05:49 PM

247 posts, read 741,641 times
I am sick of the whole thing. I'm not switching and could care less if I loose KSAT, I'm not going to be bullied to doing so. If you can get an ABC signal free over the air with no cable why would I care if they get paid by TW or not? I won't switch because when I do the math, (I'd need 5 boxes for each tv) it isn't any cheaper and I don't feel like dealing with outages every rain storm like you do with a dish. The ABC shows I watch are available on their website so I don't think I'll even miss KSAT. We don't watch football, we are a hockey family so we get the hockey package TW offers.
I've yet to talk to anyone in my circle that has switched over this.

Old 10-09-2008, 06:56 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,007,032 times
Quote:
you could draw the cowgirls in B&W stick figures for all I care..
like it or not the Cowgirls are the hottest cheerleaders in the NFL right next to the colt cheerleaders.

Old 10-10-2008, 06:32 AM

31 posts, read 67,935 times
I think everyone here is missing the big picture, first some facts….

Austin lost its NBC affiliate which was owned by LIN group. They own TV stations across mainly the Ohio region with 2.9 million viewers, LIN group assumed it the different Cable companies would cave in, it did not happen……the reason further down.

No operator, AT&T, TW, Dish, Grande pay for local network retrains on their networks. FCC must carry laws were written to guarantee that all providers would reserve a spot on their networks. TW cannot pull KSAT off of their network, it would be an FCC violation, if KSAT goes dark on TWC it will be KSAT pulling the plug, period. KSAT wants TW to pay them over 1.5 million (confirmed) with increases year over year.

Remember that all providers already pay local affiliates like KSAT big bucks to advertise their services already, this is the root of what KSAT is trying to accomplish…….missed revenue from advertising dollars due from lost viewership.

Local affiliates are losing advertising revenue to cable channels like CNN, Discovery, ESPN and the dozens of others ( on any provider). Their nationally televised shows are also streamed for free on the web, which has seen a 1500% increase over the past 3 years.

So why is KSAT picking on TW, customer base, over 320k customers, no other provider is close. They would gain nothing by going after the other providers. An interesting question does arise thou, why would KSAT risk 320k viewers on their ad dollars especially since the cable providers in the Ohio area didn’t cave in ? Maybe someone here can answer….

So here’s my view of the big picture

Remember the unresolved rift with the NFL network and TW, same situation….why should we as consumers pay for what we were getting for free ? I liked TW’s idea of putting that channel on a sports tier, I would subscribe, but not my 70 year old mom. If these types of deals go through, other sports programming will follow, charging us to watch events like bowl games, super bowls and such.

If KSAT gets their way, the other local channels will follow suit, then they will go after the other providers like AT&T, dish and so on. I’ll hook my computer to my HD TV if that happens……

My guess is that any “agreement” will happen just before the 15th…..

Old 10-10-2008, 06:34 AM

31 posts, read 67,935 times
Sorry for the typo's, no coffee yet...

Old 10-10-2008, 06:43 AM

8,400 posts, read 20,109,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavrick331 View Post
My guess is that any “agreement” will happen just before the 15th…..
I wasn't interested enough to read your entire post (); but I will agree with this. I think this is just a standoff between TWC and KSAT, and someone will eventually have to blink...

Personally, I am not sure I would even notice if KSAT is dropped from TWC; but if TWC tried to raise my rates to keep it I would most certainly notice that! My bet is on KSAT standing down on this, they have more to lose and honestly the whole thing is like two little kids arguing...both need some

Cheers! M2

Old 10-10-2008, 09:05 AM

13,807 posts, read 26,295,799 times
I'm just glad I'll get to see Oklahoma smack down the longhorns and the B of A 500 before anything gets killed.

Old 10-10-2008, 09:22 AM

399 posts, read 1,027,852 times
Quote:
I'm just glad I'll get to see Oklahoma smack down the longhorns and the B of A 500 before anything gets killed.
It'll be lovely to see the 'horns get the beat down.

Old 10-10-2008, 12:25 PM

2,027 posts, read 6,353,189 times
I don't watch KSAT and can find most of their broadcasts online anyways. In the end I think it will hurt KSAT more than TWC (though TWC will certainly lose some viewers).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio