U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-10-2008, 05:45 PM

3,009 posts, read 5,382,105 times
Default How can a family of 4 live on 400.00 a month in groceries in SA?

All you super frugal Dave Ramsey people, how can a family of 4 live on 400.00 a month in groceries?

Last edited by Bo; 12-28-2008 at 02:55 PM.. Reason: Updated thread title to make it easier to find with search.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 05:51 PM

67 posts, read 11,902 times
Bulk?

Old 09-10-2008, 05:53 PM

4,263 posts, read 6,705,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
All you super frugal Dave Ramsey people, how can a family of 4 live on 400.00 a month in groceries

Combination of Costco, Wal-Mart and Gov't cheese,butter.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:08 PM

3,901 posts, read 5,260,270 times
Quote:
All you super frugal Dave Ramsey people, how can a family of 4 live on 400.00 a month in groceries
Have you checked out the services from the Angel Food Ministries? There are 51 sites that handle this in just San Antonio alone!

This seems like it could help out a lot of families... and it is not based on income... anyone that applies and pays... be it with cash or food stamps... can get their offered packages... as many packages as needed -- on a monthly basis.

The site lists the monthly menus of these packages... a weekly family of 4 package for only $30.00, a senior 10-meal package for only $25.00, as well as five different additional special packages offered at $20.00 apiece. Can't beat that anywhere!

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 09-10-2008 at 06:27 PM..

Old 09-10-2008, 06:15 PM

4,263 posts, read 6,705,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2sa View Post
Have you checked out the services from the Angel Food Ministries?

This seems like it could help out a lot of families... and it is not based on income... anyone that applies and pays... be it with cash or food stamps... can get their monthly offered packages... at nominal prices.
Wow..that is interesting. Never knew that existed. Looks like good stuff too. Hope that'll help some folks out. Who needs government cheese, when one can obtain this good food on the cheap?

Old 09-10-2008, 06:36 PM

2,746 posts, read 9,336,750 times
Oh, glad my internet is still on!!

You have to COOK.

I'm not trying to sound sarcastic, but if you are used to easy stuff, forget it.

Angel Food boxes help spread the $$$$$ and will have some items that will give you a few nights off from cookng. We are a family of five and our food budget is about the same as that per person, but has been way smaller in the past. It comes down to cooking from scratch, and buying a lot of whatever is on sale and freezing it if at all possible. Absolutely no frozen dinners, roasted chickens at the HEB deli, ice cream, cookies, soda. Drink water, use powdered milk for cooking (tastes nasty to drink, but lets you buy less "real" milk for drinking/cereal), have tea instead of soda, buy lots of brown rice, chicken, beef (if you eat meat), frozen veggies are fairly inexpensive.

We had to stop all "convenience" foods, get up earlier so the kids had time for cereal or eggs (vs. the eat-in-the-car type breakfast stuff0, and learn to do without soda and "treats' but we still can eat healthy and within budget. It just takes planning and if you don't know how to cook, some time spent learning and finding recipes.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:11 PM

34 posts, read 5,304 times
fideo, beans and tortillas should do the trick,,, oh and a couple of fishing poles wouldnt hurt either.....

Old 09-10-2008, 07:23 PM

394 posts, read 1,002,810 times
I gotta say, I think it can be done...but there won't be much in the way of fresh fruit and vegetables. Lots of beans, rice, hamburger, white bread, hot dogs etc. etc. The cost of "healthy" foods is just crazy these days. DH and I have been on a really healthy eating plan as of late and it's just the two of us....we went from spending about $75 a week on groceries (and that's with some goodies thrown in) to about $125 a week... Plus the cost of groceries have gone up quite a bit in the last few months as everyone knows....

Old 09-10-2008, 09:04 PM

64 posts, read 188,204 times
Quote:
YES - Big Dave Ramsey fans!!! We are a family of 3 (a little girl and husband might you add that eats a TON) and we eat on $400 per month. I know - crazy - but we do!

My trick is to base my menus off what is on sale that week when we grocery shop. Not only do I save money, but I always seem to have a variety for us to eat. Second, I do buy bulk when it comes to some items. You basically have to be smart on how much things really are. Sometimes bulk is not the way to go.

Lastly, Dave Ramsey changed our lives. We made stupid decisions back in the day and now we are debt free! Life is so nice not having to worry about debt!

Old 09-10-2008, 09:07 PM

64 posts, read 188,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KY Filly View Post
I gotta say, I think it can be done...but there won't be much in the way of fresh fruit and vegetables. Lots of beans, rice, hamburger, white bread, hot dogs etc. etc. The cost of "healthy" foods is just crazy these days. DH and I have been on a really healthy eating plan as of late and it's just the two of us....we went from spending about $75 a week on groceries (and that's with some goodies thrown in) to about $125 a week... Plus the cost of groceries have gone up quite a bit in the last few months as everyone knows....
I have to disagree! We buy tons of fresh fruits and veges! U just have to shop around and buy why is on sale that week. The key is not to be picky. You can eat healthy on a budget!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio