U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 07:11 PM

1,061 posts, read 3,196,640 times

Advertisements

This displaced Texan knows that it's funnier or more interesting or more scandalous and exciting to talk about the things we don't like- I see a lot of that on C-D forums, and that bums me out. Your life is as great as you make it, and so here I am, a displaced Texan in SoCal, making the best of a nice-but-small-town, thinking about the stuff I miss about Texas that all the people who still live there probably take for granted. In short, this is an anti-rant. Feel free to join in!!

Top 10 things I miss about Texas:

10) Rain. We only get about 11 inches on a good year around here, and it will jack up your hair something awful. I never needed conditioner in Texas. Here, I buy the ginormous size and it still doesn't do the trick!

9) Dress boots vs. everyday boots. I didn't know that I loved it, but now when I look at pics of my friends and their husbands have their "dress boots" on to go to a Christmas party, I get all choked up. Really you SoCal gents, your toes aren't all that hot. Let's cover 'em up every now an then, okey dokey? Step away from the flip-flops.

8) Having 4 seasons. The weather in San Diego is amazing. If you want to live somewhere for temperate weather, you have to live there. Period. Beautiful but boring. And here in the desert, it's....well, the desert. So our two seasons are Really Hot and Not as Hot. C'mon! How are we supposed to cover up them holiday pounds if we can't wear coats?!?!

7) Ma'am. Kids, grown-ups, old folk, young folk....I love the word ma'am. I like to say it, I like to hear it. I don't care how old or young you are, if you say the word Ma'am to someone, you are instantly endearing. I promise. When is the rest of the country going to catch on to that?

6) Pride. Not just pride in being a Texan, but school pride, and city pride, and company pride, and proud of whatever brand of car you drive, or whatever thing your kid just did, or how hot your wife is, or how smart your dog is. Texans can be proud of just about anything in their lives and I love that!

5) Food. Dude, seriously, I've lived in SoCal for seven years now, and there is definitely a lot to like (always lookin' on the bright side, folks!) but the restaurant situation ain't it. Maybe that's my people in Cali are so skinny (Lord knows I look way better since I've been here)....the restaurants are terrible! I'm not even that good of a cook, and what I can make at home beats the pants off half the joints around here.

4) Being in a red state. I thought it wouldn't matter, but it does.

3) Being in the middle of the country. Do you know how long it takes for me to get to Washington D.C. from here? Like, 3 years. From Texas, you can get a direct flight to almost anywhere in the country and be there in 4 hours or less. Again, you think it won't matter, and then it does.

2) Mary Kay. 'Nuff said.

and the number one thing I miss about Texas.....

1) Texas. As in the physical state itself- you know, the shape of Texas. Do you think anyone has a California shaped clock hanging on their wall around here? Absolutely not. How about walkway stones in the shape of California? Heck no. I mean, the earrings, the belt buckles...once I even saw an entire coffee table in the shape of Texas. Fab!

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 09-10-2008 at 09:32 PM.. Reason: title edited... just keeping it in this forum ;)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 07:26 PM

2,397 posts, read 5,855,003 times
I hear ya, dweej! I live in San Diego and, yes, the weather is fantastic, but I really miss good ol' Texas thunderstorms, complete with lightning!

I miss Tex-Mex! While Baja-Mex is good, it's not Tex-Mex and will never be Tex-Mex. Enchiladas with cheese and chili con carne, carne guisada (NOT asada), brisket and guacamole tacos, Texas barbecue, etc.

I miss Tejano music.

I miss the people.

Just as you do, I miss TEXAS in general!

Someone asked earlier what it was that people with "NATIVE TEXAN" bumper stickers were trying to say. It's pride! I have never seen a "Native any other state" bumper stickers anywhere.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:30 PM

285 posts, read 610,329 times
Love it! I think I might needlepoint your post and hang it on my wall!

Lori

Old 09-10-2008, 07:32 PM

2,216 posts, read 3,993,144 times
I missed Texas too when I was away.
But I gotta know...where did you live in Texas that you DIDN'T need a/c?????? And 4 seasons??? We get summer with a tad of winter. I haven't seen fall here or in Dallas.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatotex97 View Post
But I gotta know...where did you live in Texas that you DIDN'T need a/c?????? And 4 seasons??? We get summer with a tad of winter. I haven't seen fall here or in Dallas.
Haha! I know, I know....I think right now I'm living in the only place on earth with less temperature variation than Texas. Go figure!

Old 09-10-2008, 08:25 PM

288 posts, read 831,146 times
Aw, your post really made me teary eyed. I'm not joking. I have always loved living in Texas. It has never even crossed my mind to move anywhere else. A lot of that has to do with my pride of being a Texan. I love telling people when I travel that I am from Texas. They are always amazed! I loved your post!

Old 09-10-2008, 08:26 PM

790 posts, read 3,621,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatotex97 View Post
Far West Texas... Ft. Davis, Marfa, Alpine. Heck, they even got them some snow this past winter!

Old 09-10-2008, 09:22 PM

413 posts, read 1,273,231 times
You just made me appreciate Texas so much more!!

Old 09-10-2008, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAFD_Wife View Post
Aw, your post really made me teary eyed. I'm not joking. I have always loved living in Texas. It has never even crossed my mind to move anywhere else. A lot of that has to do with my pride of being a Texan. I love telling people when I travel that I am from Texas. They are always amazed! I loved your post!
Aw, thanks! You know, there must be something inborn about being a Texan, because my oldest daughter was born there, and even though we moved when she was only 9 months old, even she has Texas pride! Every time someone on TV is from Texas or she sees Texas plates or I mention anything about Texas....well, it's all she can do to contain herself Glad you enjoyed my post.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:26 PM

14,626 posts, read 31,210,098 times
You mentioned 4 seasons............how about 2 seasons, in one day! Those days where you wake up and it's 29 degrees, with an expected high of 87! Talk about dressing in layers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or