U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 09:46 PM

4,304 posts, read 9,044,202 times

Advertisements

Here's a somewhat typical bill (altho we planted grass plugs that month, so watered more than normal)

Water Service Charge 10.50 (4000 gals)
Water Supply Fee 6.68
Edwards fee 0.79
Federal Stormwater Fee 4.25
Sewer Service charge 10.29

And last month when I planted sod, and it was 100F+ so ended up watering a lot more than usual (we've somewhat xeriscaped, but required water to get it started)
Water Service Charge 13.13 (gasp 7000gals! oops)
Water SUpply Fee 11.12
Edwards Aquifer 1.32
Federal Stormwater 4.25
Sewer Service charge 10.29

So...looks like your sewer charge is the significant difference.

Until this past year our usage was almost always ~3000 gals or less. It jumped before we started watering. I blame that on a 2 yr old who LOVES baths a little too much....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 09:44 AM

791 posts, read 3,795,793 times
Wow - thanks everyone. Very good info... I guess I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and come winter my sewer rates will drop. I've been surprised to see how much less water I use in my house than the average house, and even than my neighbors in this 'hood. We don't really do anything special... still take multiple showers every day (roomie is a soccer/tennis freak), still do laundry, still wash dishes. I guess the xeriscaping really does make a big difference in water usage. And I did it just 'cuz I thought it looked pretty with my Mediterranean style house

Old 09-12-2008, 10:33 AM

45 posts, read 128,207 times
OK-now I am really worried-our bill is over $100 each month!

Domestic Water Service Charge=$53.50
Water Supply Fee=$33.37
Edwards Fee=$3.97
Stormwater Fee=$4.25
Sewer=$20.52

We have a sprinkler that runs every other day, although not as much this past month due to the rain (we turned it off). My son bathes each day, but in a mini tub inside the big tub. We do 5-7 loads of laundry a week, run the dishwasher maybe twice, and hand wash the bottles. Do you think we have a leak? This seems really high compared to what you all are quoting with more people living in your house!

Old 09-12-2008, 10:41 AM

14,637 posts, read 33,284,516 times
Sounds like a leak, or a meter-reader who is guessing. Over $100 sounds really high.

Old 09-12-2008, 02:30 PM

123 posts, read 425,714 times
I have been shocked at our SAWS bills. We moved here from Missouri in June and never had bills there more than $100 a month for our family of 4. Our 1st bill here was $170 and it said we used 32,000 gal of water. We do have a sprinkler system here and we didn't in MO, however, I moved a manual sprinkler around the 1/2 acre yard and let it run in areas for 30 minutes at a time. I would have thought that would have used more water than the sprinkler system. We live on a small city lot, albeit a corner lot, and had our 12 sections running for about 10 minutes each 3x a week. I called SAWS and they said they would not check it, and that we must be using too much water. My kids don't even shower each day, my husband travels a lot through the week and we do about 6-7 loads of laundry plus run the dishwasher 2-3x per week. With the rain in July and August we have had the sprinkler system off most of the time with the exception of a run here and there, maybe once every 2 weeks. Our July bill was still high $140 for 27K gal of water, and our August bill is $105 for 20K gal of water. I cannot imagine how we are using that much water. I guess we need to turn off all water in the hosue and go check to see if the meter is running. SAWS made it sound like it was our problem. Is there any way to get them to come out and check things?

Betsy

Old 09-12-2008, 03:50 PM

345 posts, read 1,490,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsyg View Post
I have been shocked at our SAWS bills. We moved here from Missouri in June and never had bills there more than $100 a month for our family of 4. Our 1st bill here was $170 and it said we used 32,000 gal of water. We do have a sprinkler system here and we didn't in MO, however, I moved a manual sprinkler around the 1/2 acre yard and let it run in areas for 30 minutes at a time. I would have thought that would have used more water than the sprinkler system. We live on a small city lot, albeit a corner lot, and had our 12 sections running for about 10 minutes each 3x a week. I called SAWS and they said they would not check it, and that we must be using too much water. My kids don't even shower each day, my husband travels a lot through the week and we do about 6-7 loads of laundry plus run the dishwasher 2-3x per week. With the rain in July and August we have had the sprinkler system off most of the time with the exception of a run here and there, maybe once every 2 weeks. Our July bill was still high $140 for 27K gal of water, and our August bill is $105 for 20K gal of water. I cannot imagine how we are using that much water. I guess we need to turn off all water in the hosue and go check to see if the meter is running. SAWS made it sound like it was our problem. Is there any way to get them to come out and check things?

Betsy
You can request them to re-read your meter.

SAWS: Customer Service - High Bill Inquiry

Old 09-12-2008, 04:11 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,271,148 times
shoot i havent payed mine, I have extreme low water PSI in the house and they refuse to come check it out.

Old 09-12-2008, 04:13 PM

14,637 posts, read 33,284,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svg210 View Post
shoot i havent payed mine, I have extreme low water PSI in the house and they refuse to come check it out.
Did you read the low water pressure info they have on their site? There are some troubleshooting tips on there.
San Antonio Water System: High/Low Pressure Problems

Old 09-12-2008, 04:18 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,271,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Did you read the low water pressure info they have on their site? There are some troubleshooting tips on there.
San Antonio Water System: High/Low Pressure Problems

Thanks. The guy showed up yesterday and gave me the information on how to adjust the PCV but so far no avail.

Old 09-13-2008, 08:18 AM

8 posts, read 16,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsyg View Post

Betsy
If you suspect a leak make sure every faucet is turned off and go look at the meter. If it is spinning when you have everything turned off, then you have a leak... if not then you don't.

Plus the monthly bill gives you instructions on how to read the meter so you can read it yourself to verify SAWS is calculating your usage correctly. I monitor my water meter and electric meter every couple of days. This allows me to adjust my usage during the month so I don't have a huge water or electric bill. Twice I identified problems with my heat pump because my electric usage was much higher than than it had been the past couple of days and I was able to get it fixed before I had a huge electric bill. I will also be able to identify within a day or two if I have a water leak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>