U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 09:42 PM

34 posts, read 118,353 times

Advertisements

I am just curious how many people in San Antonio are effected by this horrible condition. My daughter who is now 9 has had Asthma since she was 2 weeks old (RSV). Do you find it getting better or worse lately?

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 09-13-2008 at 09:46 PM.. Reason: Sorry... soliciting/advertising not allowed per ToS no matter how worthy the cause
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2008, 08:26 AM
djw

951 posts, read 2,571,234 times
my son had asthmatic symptoms as a baby, but never developed anything full blown until we moved here three years ago. He's 14 and now he's got allergy-induced asthma and takes claritin and an inhaler daily. I really do think that without the allergy part, he wouldn't have the asthma so bad. Is your daughter showing allergic symptoms?
This time of year it seems to be getting bad and fall/winter is the worst (for us) with mountain cedar.

Old 09-14-2008, 08:46 AM

4,796 posts, read 13,711,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djw View Post
my son had asthmatic symptoms as a baby, but never developed anything full blown until we moved here three years ago. He's 14 and now he's got allergy-induced asthma and takes claritin and an inhaler daily. I really do think that without the allergy part, he wouldn't have the asthma so bad. Is your daughter showing allergic symptoms?
This time of year it seems to be getting bad and fall/winter is the worst (for us) with mountain cedar.
We've been through this....some of our family is worse up in the DFW area and some of us are worse down here. All allergen induced. Oak pollen for us. Allergy shots helped our family with allery-induced asthma.

DJW....does your son use a rescue inhaler? or a preventative?

Old 09-14-2008, 08:52 AM

317 posts, read 1,606,845 times
Both of my girls (16 and 14) have asthma. It was minor for them until we moved here 2 years ago from Virginia. Both are on daily asthma and allergy meds, have rescue inhalers with them at all times, and the youngest is on daily steroid inhalers too. My youngest has it severe, and she started showing problems this weekend. We will be at the docs office sometime on Monday, because it will grow out of hand quickly for her without close supervision/intervention. The fall and winter here have been misery for her especially. I am quite worried that we may be forced to move. Her asthma has never been this bad anywhere else we have lived. Her asthma has been very difficult to control despite many doctors and countless medications, and it can get scary sometimes. The minute she gets a cold we are in serious trouble now. My oldest has had some attacks, but hers is more stable and under control than the youngest. but we have to watch her closely during fall and winter as well, because a cold can escalate her symptoms rapidly too. I know not everyone has this problem here, or they are able to get their symptoms under control, but this has been our experience so far.

Old 09-14-2008, 08:56 AM

4,796 posts, read 13,711,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmmjsm View Post
Both of my girls (16 and 14) have asthma. It was minor for them until we moved here 2 years ago from Virginia. Both are on daily asthma and allergy meds, have rescue inhalers with them at all times, and the youngest is on daily steroid inhalers too. My youngest has it severe, and she started showing problems this weekend. We will be at the docs office sometime on Monday, because it will grow out of hand quickly for her without close supervision/intervention. The fall and winter here have been misery for her especially. I am quite worried that we may be forced to move. Her asthma has never been this bad anywhere else we have lived. Her asthma has been very difficult to control despite many doctors and countless medications, and it can get scary sometimes. The minute she gets a cold we are in serious trouble now. My oldest has had some attacks, but hers is more stable and under control than the youngest. but we have to watch her closely during fall and winter as well, because a cold can escalate her symptoms rapidly too. I know not everyone has this problem here, or they are able to get their symptoms under control, but this has been our experience so far.
It really is strange how asthma can hit someone over the head when they move to a new place. Sort of throws the body's immune system out of whack when introduced to a whole new group of allergens. I suppose this weather system played havoc with your daughters symptoms. Hope it passes quickly!

Old 09-14-2008, 09:09 AM

141 posts, read 443,690 times
i've had asthma for as long as i can remember, and it was pretty severe at times. but when i got into high school and was in the marching band, it didn't bother me as much, at all. i figured it was the constant activity that got me a bit stronger but who knows? it came back pretty strong after graduation and i wasn't nearly as active. plus my cedar induced allergies got worse over the years. i'm taking shots right now and i'll see how well i'm going to adjust to the coming season. best of luck with your situation.

Old 09-14-2008, 10:53 AM

181 posts, read 543,650 times
We had our two kids here (3 and 1 now) and both had RSV right around six months. Since that they've had breathing problems whenever they're sick. It usually starts with a cold and then they end up on the nebulizer for the winter.

My sister-in-law had the same problem with her two kids at the same ages. They moved across the country and her kids have been fine since. She's also had two more who haven't showed any problems with RSV/Allergies/Asthma/breathing, etc.

Old 09-14-2008, 11:00 AM
djw

Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
DJW....does your son use a rescue inhaler? or a preventative?
He's on Advair daily and a rescue inhaler when he starts with a cough. If he gets the slightest cough, from a cold or allergies, that's when we hit the rescue inhaler.
I'm thankful that we've got his under control, and using meds he will actually take and use properly! I think a lot of it is identifying triggers, educating the kids on the importance of regular and proper use of the inhalers, and fast action at first sign of sypmtoms. Again, we are on the milder end of the scale, and everyone is different.
The key for us seemed to be getting a referral from our PCM (military) to a civilian pulmonologist. They did thorough testing and great education with my son. We use Dr. Morse at the Texas Transplant Institute (not sure what that's about), part of the Methodist Health Center complex. She even got him on a rescue inhaler that doesn't require the use of a spacer - that was key to success there. My son would never use the space if I wasn't looking! I can't think of the name of it, but it is delivered the same way the advair is.

I hope your kids can find that place where they don't have to worry about it every day. Nothing worse than worrying about your kids not being able to breathe!

Old 09-14-2008, 11:06 AM
djw

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexkwandosatx View Post
plus my cedar induced allergies got worse over the years. i'm taking shots right now and i'll see how well i'm going to adjust to the coming season. best of luck with your situation.
I've never investigated the shots for me. My allergies seem to be more of a nuisance than anything severe. On a daily basis, there is itching and sneezing and congestion, but on the bigger picture - there are weeks that go by that I don't recall having a "good" sinus day. I guess it's something I've developed a tolerance to!
I always thought the shots were more for the specific food or pet allergies - not the hay fever kind. Did they do the skin prick tests? Were you surprised by some of the things that you reacted to? I'm only here for another year, so I'm not sure if getting tested for Texas allergens would do me anygood in another climate!

Old 09-14-2008, 08:05 PM

34 posts, read 118,353 times
Im glad I am not alone.....My daughters problems seem to be around November/December. She is on Singulair, Flovent, Albuterol and a nasal spray.

I have a friend that has an a daughter with Asthma so severe that she cannot even leave the home most days. She even has a teacher come to the home to teach her because of the problems in the buildings at schools. It is really a sad story. If fact she is the honoree at this years Asthma walk. (DM me if you want more information on the event).

I dont think people realize what a problem Asthma is. The ADA has recently added Asthma to their disabilities. See link Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America - Information About Asthma, Allergies, Food Allergies and More!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio