U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 09:41 PM

14,627 posts, read 31,219,481 times

Advertisements

Oh, don't call 9 Lives Books and ask them--I think the standard answer over the phone is "No, we aren't taking any more cats right now." But if you go in and talk to the woman, she will jump on it and try to help out. I'm sorry, I wish I could remember her name. She had my cell phone number, but I have been having serious problems with mine since switching providers and I can't locate her missed calls/messages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 10:53 PM

12 posts, read 28,813 times
Really, taking it to the Humane society or other shelter where it can be scanned for a microchip is the best course. If the cat does come from a loving family, it may be the only hope that family has of finding it.

I adopted a foxhound while living in Maryland. Two weeks later, it snuck out behind my wife while she was leaving for work. We tried to find her, put fliers and ads out. There was no response. 13 months later, a vet clinic (town animal shelter) in Vermont called asking if we lost a foxhound. Thankfully, they checked her for a chip. Although, they were going to put her down before an employee adopted/saved her and had her scanned just out of curiosity. The end result was that after 300 dollars in "lodging" fees from the clinic, 230 dollars in reimbursement for medical fees to the employee who adopted her, travelling over 1000 miles(roundtrip), and 13 months later, we got our dog back.

Old 09-17-2008, 12:37 AM

546 posts, read 2,825,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hadleyzoo View Post
The sweetest cat has the ability to turn a "noncat person" into a "cat person"...has happened to me several times. ;-)

Anyway...the kitty MAY be microchipped so the HS or any vet should be able to scan, get the chip number, and contact the company to see if there's any contact info on file. Unfortunately, there have been instances where a pet has been microchipped, but the owners didn't update contact info with the microchip company.

He/she may have escaped out an opening, but I don't think declawed cats (even if it's just front claws only) should ever be intentionally let outside...my opinion though.
Same here, I used to absolutely hate cats, NOW we have THREE (and love them as if they were our children - all microchipped BTW; good thing about microchipping is that the vet is listed as a contact, so they can usually track an owner down or at least have their name on file)!

And agreed, a declawed cat should NEVER be allowed outside. They can still defend themselves with their back claws, but once they become lazy housecats they're just no match for those street savvy ferals!

Old 09-17-2008, 12:32 PM

34 posts, read 103,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotexan View Post
i got home the other night after being out of town for work and noticed a young, tabby type cat lingering around my yard.

I talked to my neighbors nearby and they said this cat is very friendly and seems lost. To top it off, she is de-clawed.

One neighbor suggested we take her to the humane society. I haven't seen any flyers posted in the neighborhood and don't know how long she has been hanging around since i have not been home.

Suggestions? Anyone have a similar experience?

This breaks my heart..and i am not a 'cat' person but feel something needs to be done. I gave her water when i was out watering my plants and know the other neighbor gave her some food.

Even my (3) jack russell terriers go crazy when she walks by the front window. It's really loud in my house.........
is it ivan !!!!!

Old 09-17-2008, 05:32 PM

1,276 posts, read 3,440,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cienfuegos View Post
Really, taking it to the Humane society or other shelter where it can be scanned for a microchip is the best course. If the cat does come from a loving family, it may be the only hope that family has of finding it.
AND...if the owners are looking for this kitty, hopefully they are being proactive and calling all shelters and giving them their information in case the kitty shows up. So that's another option--call the shelters and see if anyone has called them looking for their cat.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:06 PM

348 posts, read 1,103,409 times
UPDATE....

Thank you all for sharing and providing advice.

I have been swamped with work and I'm leaving town again early in the morning but I was able to coordinate with my neighbor and they will be taking her to the Vet/Humane Society for a chip scan.

Between the two of us, we have been feeding her and providing water and she has made a temporary home on my neighbors cozy front porch.

My youngest Jack Russell has had the opportunity to meet her because she was in my garage when I was unloading the car! It was really cute because my dog was actually scared of the cat, however, I know if her sisters were by her side, it would have been 'pack mentality!'

I agree she needs to be inside a home, not roaming around. I took pics so i can post some flyers around the neighborhood.

I will keep you posted, I just having a hectic week and feel bad I can't take care of this myself because she is definately an 'indoor' cat. Very sweet.

If anyone is intersted, I have a young and sweet, de-clawed tabby grey and white cat that's available ?!?!?!

Old 09-17-2008, 09:36 PM

413 posts, read 1,273,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoTexan View Post
UPDATE....

Thank you all for sharing and providing advice.

I have been swamped with work and I'm leaving town again early in the morning but I was able to coordinate with my neighbor and they will be taking her to the Vet/Humane Society for a chip scan.

Between the two of us, we have been feeding her and providing water and she has made a temporary home on my neighbors cozy front porch.

My youngest Jack Russell has had the opportunity to meet her because she was in my garage when I was unloading the car! It was really cute because my dog was actually scared of the cat, however, I know if her sisters were by her side, it would have been 'pack mentality!'

I agree she needs to be inside a home, not roaming around. I took pics so i can post some flyers around the neighborhood.

I will keep you posted, I just having a hectic week and feel bad I can't take care of this myself because she is definately an 'indoor' cat. Very sweet.

If anyone is intersted, I have a young and sweet, de-clawed tabby grey and white cat that's available ?!?!?!
Aww...well you are soo sweet to be taking care of her anyway. Hope the owners find her.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:48 AM

64 posts, read 373,933 times
Thanks, GoTexan, for all you've done so far. I hope that by the time you return from your trip you will have decided to keep her. You'll be very happy about this in the long run.

And to all you cat owners out there - I am a volunteer at the animal shelter in Arlington, Virginia. There is a constant stream of distraught owners looking for their cats. When we ask them why they didn't have a collar with an ID tag showing their phone number, they all say "my cat NEVER goes outside." Well, if that was true, they wouldn't be at the shelter looking for their lost cat.

Put a collar on your cat with your phone number on it. And it wouldn't hurt to do it for your dog, too.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:51 AM

14,627 posts, read 31,219,481 times
My kitties both have a tag with our phone number. They hate it, but the birds are very thankful for the little jingle they make. Now my male cat just plays dead under the trees and he looks like he is waiting for one to just fall out on top of him.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:44 AM

64 posts, read 373,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
... Now my male cat just plays dead under the trees and he looks like he is waiting for one to just fall out on top of him.
So does his little trick ever work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio